Twitter: Maybe some Gregory/Thomas/Ryan news today?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Clowney came into the league he was supposed to revolutionize the position. 6 years in and the guy has 32 sacks. Misses games every year. A year older. He has a reputation but not much production. Layer in that attitude and who is going to give that guy a big contract. If he can tap the breaks on the attitude, accept a show me contract, and actually ball out he could be in line for a pay day NEXT year.

I totally agree.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
clowney lowered his price quite bit at least twice but has a limited team wish list , apparently Cleveland wasn't it because they were willing to pay him his asking price..dude needs to work but is being picky..

Yes he has, but clearly not enough for anyone to consider it reasonable or worth it.

I think he screwed up in turning Cleveland down. They would have cut Olivier Vernon and given the job to Clowney opposite Myles Garrett.

Now he'll have to settle for far less money for this year.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Just a guess on my part, but I think the Jones boys have been working on a deal with Earl Thomas and his agent. One that pays him roster bonuses rather than any guarantees and that allows McCarthy to cut him if he acts up. I think those are the reassurances the coach and staff need so they can feel comfortable with his potential addition.

Sounds about right.

Just reading the tea leaves, I wouldn’t be surprised if ET has a substance abuse problem (alcohol reportedly) and teams are waiting for him to go through a self-enrolled rehab program.

Some teams sound as if they’ve shut the door (Chargers and 49ers), but it sounds like Jerry is keeping the door open for down the road (ie. ET finishing the program successfully).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds about right.

Just reading the tea leaves, I wouldn’t be surprised if ET has a substance abuse problem (alcohol reportedly) and teams are waiting for him to go through a self-enrolled rehab program.

Some teams sound as if they’ve shut the door (Chargers and 49ers), but it sounds like Jerry is keeping the door open for down the road (ie. ET finishing the program successfully).

Jerry is the only person I've heard of that's keeping the door open, even a little bit.

Reactions: BAT

MikeB80

Reaction score
Sounds about right.

if that is the case McCarthy shouldn't have a problem with him. He was A-OK with Eddie Lacy who Broaddus accidentally let slip a few years ago that he was a drunk who showed up drunk in Green Bay for practice.

LittleD

Reaction score
if that is the case McCarthy shouldn't have a problem with him. He was A-OK with Eddie Lacy who Broaddus accidentally let slip a few years ago that he was a drunk who showed up drunk in Green Bay for practice.

Jerry should review history. He screwed with Parcells by bringing in "the player" and he better not screw with McCarthy or he might lose him after one year. McCarthy doesn't want ET in the locker room and Jerry should just shutup and depart for his boat for a long vacation.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I'm OK with a vet minimum contract today, with per week roster bonuses for everything else. I'd rather get him in as soon as possible to get him up to speed on the defense. You bring him in for week two and it's probably at least a month before he knows the defense and playcalls.

But I'm betting there's still quite a bit of ego involved wth Thomas, and that he's not ready to accept a pay as you go deal yet.

Yeah, vet minimum is not happening. He was scheduled to make 10M this year and Ryan just got $5M with incentives. Even with Thomas' problems he should garner a look at a level at least what Ryan got or "creatively" close. It's a buyer's market for sure but it's not like the Cowboys don't have a big need in an area Thomas should deliver in. Gotta meet in the middle and get it done, I say. Yes, make it a trap door contract but don't lose out trying to be cheap.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, vet minimum is not happening. He was scheduled to make 10M this year and Ryan just got $5M with incentives. Even with Thomas' problems he should garner a look at a level at least what Ryan got or "creatively" close. It's a buyer's market for sure but it's not like the Cowboys don't have a big need in an area Thomas should deliver in. Gotta meet in the middle and get it done, I say. Yes, make it a trap door contract but don't lose out trying to be cheap.

I'm not saying vet minimum as an overall value, just the guaranteed portion. The rest would be weekly and roster bonuses and incentives. Logan Ryan's deal has just $3.5 million in a signing bonus, and he didn't just get kicked off of his last team, nor does he look to be in a 'life meltdown' like Earl Thomas clearly does.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I'm not saying vet minimum as an overall value, just the guaranteed portion. The rest would be weekly and roster bonuses and incentives. Logan Ryan's deal has just $3.5 million in a signing bonus, and he didn't just get kicked off of his last team, nor does he look to be in a 'life meltdown' like Earl Thomas clearly does.

I don't think Thomas' problems are going to be the discount everyone thinks it is. Vet minimum is always the first thing fans say because they want a bargain but we have a real need in this area so that ups the price. I do hope they get it done and don't let fear overrule a decent gamble.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Thomas' problems are going to be the discount everyone thinks it is. Vet minimum is always the first thing fans say because they want a bargain but we have a real need in this area so that ups the price. I do hope they get it done and don't let fear overrule a decent gamble.

Fair enough.

While I don't feel that a player that just got kicked off of his last team and a huge contract, who clearly has little market, is in position to make demands. And if he thinks he does, he can make them elsewhere.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm wondering I feel that isn't someone's plan, to sign him after week one so that nothing is guaranteed?

It has to be a shock to him and his agent at just how little attention he's getting since his release.

Reality check.

I'd expect that's the plan of plenty of someones. Could be too that teams aren't willing to match what his salary would have been, and that's too big a bitter pill for him to swallow.

Given the personal doubts about him, there's likely a big gap between what they're willing to guarantee, and what they're willing to pay in weekly checks while he's behaving himself.

I suppose once the season starts, he could still demand a big bonus up front, but on paper a 10mil salary, even if it isn't guaranteed, may be enough face saving for him to forego a bonus.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Doesn't have to be a big discount if people sign him after the season starts. If he's not flying right, teams can cut him and the rest of the season isn't guaranteed.

(Unless The Disease Which Must Not Be Named has made changes to that, which I wouldn't expect, but I don't really know.)

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
It makes too much sense. You don’t go from offering a first rounder for the guy, who by all metrics played well in BAL in 2019, to having no interest in him just because he had some locker room issues in BAL/cheating on his wife. We still have a need there

You forgot to mention he had SEX WITH HIS BROTHER with 2 women. But who cares what he does off the field, it's all cool because he may play for the Cowboys.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You forgot to mention he had SEX WITH HIS BROTHER with 2 women. But who cares what he does off the field, it's all cool because he may play for the Cowboys.

Oh the horror! Be sure to bring that up at the next Church Chat where the Church Lady is sure to give you a, "Well isn't that special?"

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Oh the horror! Be sure to bring that up at the next Church Chat where the Church Lady is sure to give you a, "Well isn't that special?"

Yup, who cares, as long as he plays for your Cowboys! Orgies with family members. Yay!!!!!