CFZ Maybe the Cowboys should follow Green Bay's lead?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Which makes this thread not really a football question, but yet another Jerry Jones thread. For a minute there, I thought it was actually about what Dallas should do schematically.
Okay, that's fair...but it's a legitimate question.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
What I find funny is that the Packers lose Devonte and the media says they will be fine. The Cowboys lose Amari and the media says their season is in jeopardy specifically because of that.

Now I am not saying the Cowboys have no issues, because they do, but I would argue the Packers losing Devonte is a much bigger hit than the Cowboys losing Amari.
The general regard for Rodgers as a QB over just about anyone else should be factored into the equation.
The media speaks for itself.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What I find funny is that the Packers lose Devonte and the media says they will be fine. The Cowboys lose Amari and the media says their season is in jeopardy specifically because of that.

Now I am not saying the Cowboys have no issues, because they do, but I would argue the Packers losing Devonte is a much bigger hit than the Cowboys losing Amari.

Agreed, especially because they didn't have a Lamb to take over as their No. 1 receiver. I mean, at least we also resigned Gallup, who is a young No. 2. Outside of Adams last year, their top receiver was Allen Lazard, with 40 catches for 513 yards. Now, they drafted two receivers and signed two vets, but it isn't like they went out and got anyone resembling a No. 1. I would be very upset if our team took their approach to the position this year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just listening to the old fool in the opening bit on Countdown to Kickoff with his football analysis and evaluation reminds us every time what an obstacle we have to overcome. God help us !!

Diehardblues

Reaction score

The bigger point is Rodgers abilities and effectiveness aren’t as dependent on his supporting cast. That at least would be the argument. I think those of us who believe Dak can be enough we also would probably argue we’d be more comfortable in this transition with a QB like Rodgers.

The fact our leadership desperately felt a move was needed in 2018 to bring a WR1 in to save the season would support some of this rhetoric. Obviously with a WR1 heir apparent in Lamb we appear more poised to move on than we did after letting Dez go without another WR1 in place.

While I’d like to think we are in a much better place with Dak and our receiving corp than we were in 2018, we do have some concerns at least initially with Gallup out and more of an unproven reviving corp beyond Lamb and Shultz. And why I can understood the rhetoric at least until the results start coming in.

I’m sure while everyone is probably more confident there is some concern if Lamb is shut down by defenses Dak could struggle with the rest of our receiving corps getting open and Dak getting them the ball. We’ll see how it goes but certainly we can all agree there will be more eyes on Dak to see how this develops and the impacts on his effectiveness , our offenses production and ultimately our ability to win some games.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Okay, that's fair...but it's a legitimate question.
Of course it is. It always is. I mean, we all know Jerry meddles. If I make a thread about running a 34 instead of a 43 defense… I could ask if Jerry will let the change happen. Or ask if Jerry is making it happen.

I don’t love Jerry but I love this game of football, dearly. I just prefer to talk about the benefits of running a 34 instead of a 43, rather than ask what Jerry thinks about it and will he allow it. It holds zero interest for me, personally.

I do realize everyone is different, so I usually just try to stay out of those threads, but obviously… I’m not always successful.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Of course it is. It always is. I mean, we all know Jerry meddles. If I make a thread about running a 34 instead of a 43 defense… I could ask if Jerry will let the change happen. Or ask if Jerry is making it happen.

I don’t love Jerry but I love this game of football, dearly. I just prefer to talk about the benefits of running a 34 instead of a 43, rather than ask what Jerry thinks about it and will he allow it. It holds zero interest for me, personally.

I do realize everyone is different, so I usually just try to stay out of those threads, but obviously… I’m not always successful.
I get it, but in this case you can bypass the Jerry equation and talk about the ramifications of not focusing on CeeDee, regardless of whether or not Jerry would allow it.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I get it, but in this case you can bypass the Jerry equation and talk about the ramifications of not focusing on CeeDee, regardless of whether or not Jerry would allow it.
True enough but after 1 preseason game, I don’t think we have enough information to be asking if we should avoid WR’s to give passes to the RB’s.

At this point there just isn’t a lot we can know about the WR corps. I do know that I’d never want to avoid CeeDee.

Like I said, I should have just left the thread alone. I’m just taking away from it now.

My Bad.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Coach has an excellent point. Jethro is definitely more concerned about perception than reality.

Remember his initial priority is remaining interesting and relative. And staying competitive even if it’s mediocre delivers keeping the revenue train rolling.

I definitely believe Jethro would meddle with game plans insisting in Lamb being featured. Even if we lose as long as Lamb isn’t getting shut down will help support Coopers release.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
True enough but after 1 preseason game, I don’t think we have enough information to be asking if we should avoid WR’s to give passes to the RB’s.

After just the first preseason game, there just isn’t a lot we can know about the WR corps. I do know that I’d never want to avoid CeeDee.

Like I said, I should have just left the thread alone. I’m just taking away from it now.

My Bad.
Nah, you're respectful as usual.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The bigger point is Rodgers abilities and effectiveness aren’t as dependent on his supporting cast. That at least would be the argument. I think those of us who believe Dak can be enough we also would probably argue we’d be more comfortable in this transition with a QB like Rodgers.

The fact our leadership desperately felt a move was needed in 2018 to bring a WR1 in to save the season would support some of this rhetoric. Obviously with a WR1 heir apparent in Lamb we appear more poised to move on than we did after letting Dez go without another WR1 in place.

While I’d like to think we are in a much better place with Dak and our receiving corp than we were in 2018, we do have some concerns at least initially with Gallup out and more of an unproven reviving corp beyond Lamb and Shultz. And why I can understood the rhetoric at least until the results start coming in.

I’m sure while everyone is probably more confident there is some concern if Lamb is shut down by defenses Dak could struggle with the rest of our receiving corps getting open and Dak getting them the ball. We’ll see how it goes but certainly we can all agree there will be more eyes on Dak to see how this develops and the impacts on his effectiveness , our offenses production and ultimately our ability to win some games.
As I said, the media says the Packers are fine after losing one of the best receivers in the game while the Cowboys season is in jeopardy for losing a non-top-10 receiver.

I'm not talking about the other players as the media have been making those comments while specifically talking about the two receivers.

The funny thing is, for all of the respect given to the Packers, last year the Cowboys lost to the 49ers at home in the playoffs and the following week, the Packers lost to the 49ers at home in the playoffs as well despite being the #1 seed.

I am not saying the Cowboys do not have other issues because they do. I am also not comparing Dak and Aaron.

What I am saying is that it is funny how the media keeps saying the Packers are fine despite losing one of the best receivers in the game, but the Cowboys will be lucky to make the playoffs specifically because they no longer have Amari.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
As I said, the media says the Packers are fine after losing one of the best receivers in the game while the Cowboys season is in jeopardy for losing a non-top-10 receiver.

I'm not talking about the other players as the media have been making those comments while specifically talking about the two receivers.

The funny thing is, for all of the respect given to the Packers, last year the Cowboys lost to the 49ers at home in the playoffs and the following week, the Packers lost to the 49ers at home in the playoffs as well despite being the #1 seed.

I am not saying the Cowboys do not have other issues because they do. I am also not comparing Dak and Aaron.

What I am saying is that it is funny how the media keeps saying the Packers are fine despite losing one of the best receivers in the game, but the Cowboys will be lucky to make the playoffs specifically because they no longer have Amari.
I assume they're looking at Dallas pre-Cooper, compared to Green Bay pre-whomever. To be fair, Dallas was struggling without him.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score

What I am saying is that it is funny how the media keeps saying the Packers are fine despite losing one of the best receivers in the game, but the Cowboys are basically done specifically because they no longer have Amari.
I hear ya and point taken but I’m not sure why there wouldn’t be more concerns with how losing Cooper will impact Dak more than Rodgers loss.

I’m not saying I totally agree with it but I certainly can understand the references. We shall see how Dak responds. If we start out like 2018 did with Dak then it’s going to be interesting .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I assume they're looking at Dallas pre-Cooper, compared to Green Bay pre-whoever. To be fair, Dallas was struggling without him.
Of course they are. Remember how Dak struggled early in 2018 without Cooper. Much like he struggled without Zeke in 2017.

I’d like to think we are in a better position to move on but I certainly understand the concerns especially with questions on OL and our current woes in receiving corp beyond Lamb. Dak is going to have to carry this offense more than ever. We shall see.

Last edited: