Twitter: Mazi Smith contract details

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If you’re a regular at the Zone, you know that we don’t want to extend anyone. Ever. We could have Tom Brady, Jerry Rice and Lawrence Taylor, all in their prime, and we would be advocating trading them for future picks.
Nah, we want to extend them but when it comes to the salary cap, many fans on here turn into my father-in-law at restaurants. If the meal costs $10, he wants to pay $4.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Payne sure did last year. It’s funny how a contract year tends to be most guys best year lol
Most Rookies second contracts come after 3-4 years in an NFL strenghth and conditioning program, and NFL nutrition Program so really no surprise. If by year 3 a player has not shown anything he will never be more than a bottom roster guy, players that do show something will get paid it sucks its usually year 3,4, or 5 but that is when most players put it all together.

conner01

Reaction score
Most Rookies second contracts come after 3-4 years in an NFL strenghth and conditioning program, and NFL nutrition Program so really no surprise. If by year 3 a player has not shown anything he will never be more than a bottom roster guy, players that do show something will get paid it sucks its usually year 3,4, or 5 but that is when most players put it all together.
That is certainly a factor in some players. But when a player doubles or triples his production in a contract year I think some is just a little more motivation. And in a high percentage of players they don’t continue to produce those numbers. Not all but lots of guys dont

jrumann59

Reaction score
That is certainly a factor in some players. But when a player doubles or triples his production in a contract year I think some is just a little more motivation. And in a high percentage of players they don’t continue to produce those numbers. Not all but lots of guys dont
What is normal progression based off, Bosas and Watts of the NFL are by far the exception to the rule. Each position has a learning curve a RB will most likely produce more early on than say a DL or CB or WR, if it take a RB 3+ years to finally flash you have to ask why. For DL or WR year 3 is key, those positions in in college you could get away with pure athletics and poor technique not so much in the NFL. I am not for giving every guy that shows out his 3rd year a big contract but each player has to be evaluated against his peers and what they have shown up to that point.

conner01

Reaction score
What is normal progression based off, Bosas and Watts of the NFL are by far the exception to the rule. Each position has a learning curve a RB will most likely produce more early on than say a DL or CB or WR, if it take a RB 3+ years to finally flash you have to ask why. For DL or WR year 3 is key, those positions in in college you could get away with pure athletics and poor technique not so much in the NFL. I am not for giving every guy that shows out his 3rd year a big contract but each player has to be evaluated against his peers and what they have shown up to that point.
Payne has been a stud since day one. He’s one of the top DT in the league. I’m just saying I expect to see more of what you seen the first 3 years than what you seen last year. But time will tell. I just don’t think he’s an 11 sack a year type player, but if he is they better start measuring him for a jacket because that’s an amazing number for a guy at DT.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Payne has been a stud since day one. He’s one of the top DT in the league. I’m just saying I expect to see more of what you seen the first 3 years than what you seen last year. But time will tell. I just don’t think he’s an 11 sack a year type player, but if he is they better start measuring him for a jacket because that’s an amazing number for a guy at DT.
Guys like Payne or Parsons ore the Bosas are great but the majority of players do not follow that trajectory, usually the good ones will show incremental improvement, the JAGs usually hit a plateau and stay there until someone comes along and supplants them mostly because their level of performance is not commensurate with the money even vet min, if a rookie can be just as good and a few 100K cheaper a team will go that way.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im sure if he's good , Jerry will give him a new contract after his second season.