Mazi Smith is a bust

75boyz

Reaction score
As I noted in the game thread, he is constantly blown off the line. He can’t hold position even in one-on-one situations most of the time.
Film don't lie.
Over and over.
Pushed back at the point of attack continuously.
On skates, back pedaling most of the time.

All the crap about how strong he is appears to be another bold face lie.
A true failure at what he was drafted to do.
Mazi Charlton.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Wasn't ready to write him off, but the entire DT group looks like they're playing in the minor leagues.
we CLEARLY lack the players and the coaching staff Greg Zugonia the dline coach is the only guy worth keeping around. Love Greg Ellis, but not sure the players are listening. The D is an overrated bunch of clowns making business decisions.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Anyone ready to admit this guy is pretty much a bust? He needed to step up this season and be a key for our run defense, but as we can see that's been an absolute failure so far
If you are putting this all on Mazi, then you are a premature evaluator. Give it a few more games before you give us your Oh face

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Yeah he’s done. There are tiers of players in this league:

Star
Solid starter
Rotational player/backup

We can rule out the possibility of Mazi ever being a star and right now he is quickly fading with any hope of being a solid starter. Now the best-case is being a backup. Otherwise, he will be on his way out soon as a fringe roster/practice squad candidate

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Doesn't love football. This was known.

See also Trysten Hill.

With Mazi's case, remember that he was the #1 player on Bruce Feldman's Freak List a few years ago...

1. Mazi Smith, Michigan, defensive tackle​

His former teammate, Aidan Hutchinson, almost was our top guy in 2021, but this year a Wolverine is the No. 1 Freak in college football. The 6-foot-3, 337-pound senior has rare power and agility. So rare, in fact, it’s hard to find the right superlative to begin with. But let’s start with this: Smith does 22 reps on the bench press, but that’s with 325 (not 225). He close-grip benched 550 pounds. He vertical-jumps 33 inches. He broad-jumped 9-4 1/2. Smith, who had 37 tackles last season, has clocked a 4.41 shuttle time, which would’ve tied the best by any defensive tackle at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine, and it would’ve been better than any defensive tackle weighing 310 pounds or more in the past decade. His 6.95 3-cone time would’ve been by far the fastest among defensive tackles in Indianapolis. The fastest was 7.33. Smith’s 60-yard shuttle time is 11.90.

Here's a lesson in scouting that the Cowboys ignored:

Fear the player who CAN dominate and CHOOSES not to.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'll have to take your word for it, not disputing.
Im not saying he was getting ready to set the world on fire. He had just gotten to where is play was becoming adequate, then he started pouting. IIRC they supposedly planned on moving on after year two but couldnt find any trade partners in the offseason or TC.

Mcsports

Reaction score
Mazi showed good speed when he tracked down Lamar at sidlelines in first half.
But he doesn’t have the mentality or
Toughness to play nose guard.
Thats probably why they had him drop weight last year

CowboysJames69

Reaction score
What pisses me off is he was plan A for the cowboys at the 1T DE position and he had off season shoulder surgery earlier this year with a 4-6 month recovery time. He was never going to be better this year and we really needed him to be . Really don't know if he will ever be? Once again we failed at fundamental football. Strong trenches. Games are won in the trenches

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Get jim harbaugh on the phone and see if you can get a 5th rd pick for him before he has zero value. Yes jerry will have to cover some of his pay to make it happen. Hoping the Michigan loyalty helps

When they were showing him working out after the draft, I was reminded of Tank Johnson. Strong guy. Bad football player.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I saw enough last season to call him a bust. He could be gone after this season. We moved on from Taco after a couple of seasons, and I don’t think he was as bad as Mazi. I don’t know what we saw him.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Film don't lie.
Over and over.
Pushed back at the point of attack continuously.
On skates, back pedaling most of the time.

All the crap about how strong he is appears to be another bold face lie.
A true failure at what he was drafted to do.
Mazi Charlton.
He has gym strength, not function strength.

Its like the dudes at the gym that can bench 300 but have to have their wife open a jar a pickles for them.

So, it doesn't matter if Mazi could bench 900 pounds at Michigan, the dude gets blown off the line in actual games so his gym strength is meaningless.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Certainly looks that way so far KSK.

I would say the chances of him never being a good player are higher than the chances of him turning things around.

I think Mazi sadly a workout warrior. A guy who has freak athletic numbers but just can’t play football.