Mazi Smith is a bust

Adreme

Reaction score
Mazi got what, 1 sack his entire college career?

But you have the "well, he's just there to plug up the middle, he's not going to get any stats" crowd.

But this isn't the 1970's NFL, interior linemen are expected to get sacks. And besides, in the Saints game Mazi had not one single tackle, or assist. Against a team that ran the ball 39 times. Did the announcers call his name a single time?

Nope.

I said when he was drafted it was a mistake, 1 sack in college NTs are not what Dallas needed.

He might still turn it around, who knows? I'll give him this year, but after that if he doesn't get better, I'll get with my tailor and have a bust jersey made up...
I mean there are maybe 8-10 in the entire NFL that are big dudes right in the middle who can stuff the run and rush the passer. The problem is not that he is not able to rush the passer (though why you use a 1st on a guy who is projected to be a limited toolset player I have no idea) but that he is not even good at stopping the run. He is absolutely a bust for his draft status and if he doesnt clean it up soon will just not have a career in the NFL. Well as a 1st round pick he will probably get 3-5 more years floating on random practice squads but never more of a career than that.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Anyone ready to admit this guy is pretty much a bust? He needed to step up this season and be a key for our run defense, but as we can see that's been an absolute failure so far
After rewashing the game....Mazi looks like he's improving. Liked the hustle he is starting to show....he never did that before. He moves pretty well for a big guy....question is...can he sustain it?

Praxit

Reaction score
With those who end up being stars, there is always a flash here and there

there has been NOTHING with Mazi
..exactly what I was going to state. You will see flashes of possibility, often too.

Hate to say it, but we got another Taco or Trysten.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Mazi got what, 1 sack his entire college career?

But you have the "well, he's just there to plug up the middle, he's not going to get any stats" crowd.

But this isn't the 1970's NFL, interior linemen are expected to get sacks. And besides, in the Saints game Mazi had not one single tackle, or assist. Against a team that ran the ball 39 times. Did the announcers call his name a single time?

Nope.

I said when he was drafted it was a mistake, 1 sack in college NTs are not what Dallas needed.

He might still turn it around, who knows? I'll give him this year, but after that if he doesn't get better, I'll get with my tailor and have a bust jersey made up...

It's almost a truism that successful NFL linemen can beat blocks from college players. Sacks and especially TFLs are two of the most predictive stats for DT prospects.

NTs obviously get less playmaking opportunities than say a 3 tech, but dudes like Derrick Brown and Vita Vea had college production.

RS12

Reaction score
I still recall getting viciously gang attacked on here when I merely stated that Mazi had a quiet first pre season game in 2023.
You should know better than that. You know between the draft and the final pre season game that the pom pom frenzy is in full affect, and all they see are 22 all pros on the field.

RS12

Reaction score
After rewashing the game....Mazi looks like he's improving. Liked the hustle he is starting to show....he never did that before. He moves pretty well for a big guy....question is...can he sustain it?
Welp, PFF agrees with you. He went from 30 last week to a whopping 33 this week. Only a little more to go.