Mazi Smith is a bust

gtb1943

Reaction score
Certainly looks that way so far KSK.

I would say the chances of him never being a good player are higher than the chances of him turning things around.

I think Mazi sadly a workout warrior. A guy who has freak athletic numbers but just can’t play football.
you always blow it when you pick an athlete instead of a player

chagus

Reaction score
Am I the only one that didn't know who he was when drafted?

I remember looking up some highlights and did not see really anything that said 1st round player. He looked like an average guy on a great Michigan defense.
I thought the same when seeing his highlights. I wasnt too impressed. But we needed a DT so i thought it was a good pick. Nope.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What pisses me off is he was plan A for the cowboys at the 1T DE position and he had off season shoulder surgery earlier this year with a 4-6 month recovery time. He was never going to be better this year and we really needed him to be . Really don't know if he will ever be? Once again we failed at fundamental football. Strong trenches. Games are won in the trenches
They should have hoped for incremental increases in his quality over the season. Which means he should be the 3rd or 4th DT and get maybe 30% to 35% of the snaps.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I had such high hopes for him because on paper he has superhuman strength. It just doesn't translate well in the NFL. Mike Mamula comes to mind - outstanding tangibles but not a good football player.

He deceived us all with that workout stuff

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Anyone ready to admit this guy is pretty much a bust? He needed to step up this season and be a key for our run defense, but as we can see that's been an absolute failure so far
This was actually his best game. He showed fight and actually tackled Lamar unlike the rest of our defense. We need to stop pointing at one player when it comes to the defense. The whole defense, system and players are trash.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I’m giving him this season to improve but he’s looking like a bust. Unfortunately the entire defensive line looks putrid so he’s not getting any help.

Creeper

Reaction score
I will be the contrarian. Mazi had a better game yesterday. He was not getting blown off the line as people are claiming. He actually had 3 solo tackles and if you watched he was holding up his blockers and shedding them to make those tackles.

If you are looking for awful DL play from yesterday then I suggest you get some videos of the game and watch the DEs. They gave up contain every single play falling for the same misdirection time and time again. I think I saw DLaw make one play.

For the last several years the Cowboys run defense has been bad and it you watch it is mostly those outside run where our DEs are caught out of position leaving the outside areas exposed. I do not know if is it what they coach in Dallas or if the players are just stupid, but watching them run inside at the misdirection while the play goes by them is frustrating. No one stays home to make sure the play is turn back inside. They get sealed easily by TEs and WRs. I saw DLaw get pancaked 5 yards downfield by a TE.

You do not solve problems by pointing in the wrong direction. The Cowboys DTs are a problem. I've been saying it for years. But they we not the biggest problem yesterday.

Every team in the league is going to do the same thing until the Cowboys DEs stop chasing shadows.

Wait till Dallas plays Atlanta. Bijan Robinson is going to rush for 200 yards against them. Barkley may take 2 or 3 to the house as well when they play the Eagles.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Anyone ready to admit this guy is pretty much a bust? He needed to step up this season and be a key for our run defense, but as we can see that's been an absolute failure so far
he is. but there is dead cap money that Jerry has to pay, so Mazi isn't going anywhere until his contract runs out.