Mazi Smith is a bust

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Anyone ready to admit this guy is pretty much a bust? He needed to step up this season and be a key for our run defense, but as we can see that's been an absolute failure so far
l knew he was a bust when Quinn played him almost every down in preseason games last season and in those games Mazi was dominated by BUMS of the MONTH! This dude was supposed to be some stud according to preseason camps last season. By all reports this dude was a real bad ***, that was until he had someone in front of him without a star on his helmet.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Next year, Mazis fourth scheme in four years counting Michigan ought to greatly help his development.

Shane612

Reaction score
Few of us came to this conclusion after 6 games last year.
He showed nothing, not one flash of brilliance to say he had something.
Remember when Randy White chased down a WR from behind? Or when Randy White ran leaning sideways like a Grand Prix Motorcycle racer to sack Ron Jaworski? Or when Jethro Pugh, a DT, led the cowboys in sacks for 5 years. Or when Larry Allen chased down a cornerback after an INT? Not to mention all the All-Pro honors.
Great players do extraordinary things once in a while.

Last edited:

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Agreed. I think it’s time to conclude he is. There is a reason why Zimmer was scrambling to sign DTs at the end of camp. He saw the writing on the wall.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He got sacks and QB hits every once in a while. Has Mazi ever hit the QB?
Mazi got what, 1 sack his entire college career?

But you have the "well, he's just there to plug up the middle, he's not going to get any stats" crowd.

But this isn't the 1970's NFL, interior linemen are expected to get sacks. And besides, in the Saints game Mazi had not one single tackle, or assist. Against a team that ran the ball 39 times. Did the announcers call his name a single time?

Nope.

I said when he was drafted it was a mistake, 1 sack in college NTs are not what Dallas needed.

He might still turn it around, who knows? I'll give him this year, but after that if he doesn't get better, I'll get with my tailor and have a bust jersey made up...

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is what happens when you draft for pure size/athletic ability but that doesn't produce in college.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
There was absolutely nothing shown at any point in his rookie season to suggest he was going to be a good NFL player. He was dominated in preseason by guys no longer in the NFL. And it's clear there has been no significant improvement. I said it last year, that he was so bad that the 2nd year jump would not be enough to to elevate him to a starting level player.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Let's not forget our former DC had him lose a bunch of weight trying to make him play 3T. Then he had to regain while going into a different scheme. Agree he doesn't have a lot of good tape, but I'm giving him some time.