Mazi Smith isn't that great

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I'm very appreciative of being told our young NT sucks. I was planning to see him actually suit up and play before arriving at any conclusion. Now, I have no reason to watch him. Saves me time and I can watch without wondering.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
I am hoping for the best but he was really bad in that TCU game, especially the 2nd half. Hopefully he was having an off day.

Jerryrage

Reaction score
Explain this? They're talking about drafting Trysten Hill. The defensive line evaluation is garbage from the scouts, listen to them... We'll see in a few years when this current DT is gone from the team..

This is the perfect case and point I try to explain to you guys. Yet, you're unable to see it. I get bashed on here. However, I am right..

rambo2

Reaction score
Explain this? They're talking about drafting Trysten Hill. The defensive line evolution is garbage from the scouts....... They didn't even want Parsons, they wanted a CB.. We'll see in a few years when this DT is gone from the team..

How would you know what they wanted? I hope you aren't gone in a few years.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Explain this? They're talking about drafting Trysten Hill. The defensive line evaluation is garbage from the scouts, listen to them... We'll see in a few years when this current DT is gone from the team..

This is the perfect case and point I try to explain to you guys. Yet, you're unable to see it. I get bashed on here. However, I am right..

You A) Don't know who they're talking about the whole time, B) don't seem to realize that the physical part from Hill was accurate and/or understand that it's just a projection or C) recognize the difference between process and result. The pick was fine, it didn't work out. That happens.

It's easy to go through every team's draft picks and say "player A was bad and they should have taken player B," but it doesn't make you clever.

817Gill

Reaction score
Same poster who said Lamb was a bust and would be off the team this season lmaooo

Big_D

Reaction score

That video doesn't tell you who they're talking about and Rod was terrible. Every player he put his stamp of approval on and his work along the Line in 7 years was a joke. Trysten Hill at the time was a desperation pick after getting completely run over in the playoffs. What's happening today isn't close to the same thing.

rambo2

Reaction score

Can you tell us about Lamb again? When did you say he would be gone?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm not sure they're talking about Trysten Hill there.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dug into this. Couldn't determine exactly who they were talking about.

The description sounds like a first round player not someone still available late 2nd round at 58.
I agree. Doesn't sound like Hill. If it is, well ouch.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Morris Claiborne

I still remeber the draft guru around here who claimed to have inside info when, in fact, he was just refreshing a website or something that posted the picks before they were broadcast.

Pretty hilarious.

Last edited:

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Exactly, this is what we need. We've been needing a NT for many years. Mazi Smith does a lot of what we need. I think we made a nice pick.
For the record, I don't think a DT who can't penetrate is worth having on your roster. There is no correlation between those guys and strong run defense, and run defense shouldn't be a priority anyway.

I don't hate the pick, but it's because I think Mazi has physical traits that can allow him to be disruptive. Vince Wilfork, for instance, would be a terrible first-round pick in 2023.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
For the record, I don't think a DT who can't penetrate is worth having on your roster. There is no correlation between those guys and strong run defense, and run defense shouldn't be a priority anyway.

I don't hate the pick, but it's because I think Mazi has physical traits that can allow him to be disruptive. Vince Wilfork, for instance, would be a terrible first-round pick in 2023.

Here's my take on him. The basic and best thing that a NT can do is clog the middle, shut down the run, and frees up room for the LBers to attack the back and QB. This is where I think he will be at his best. I'm not needing a lot of sacks from a NT. I think he can get sacks though, and his tape shows that he can. Though, as stated, that's not his main function. Our run defence was a liability. I think Mazi Smith can help fix that.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Here's my take on him. The basic and best thing that a NT can do is clog the middle, shut down the run, and frees up room for the LBers to attack the back and QB. This is where I think he will be at his best. I'm not needing a lot of sacks from a NT. I think he can get sacks though, and his tape shows that he can. Though, as stated, that's not his main function. Our run defence was a liability. I think Mazi Smith can help fix that.
I think this is outdated, and, for the most part, an irrelevant skillset in the NFL.

The Cowboys ranked 4th in run defense EPA last year, the run defense was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.