THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mazi should be a good player for this team
tenor.gif

T-RO

Reaction score
The Mazi Smith RAS score of 9.99 myth needs to go away.

The 9.99 score was when they plugged in the testing numbers from Bruce Feldman’s “Freaks” list. Numbers that were just word of mouth while he was still playing at Michigan. Those aren’t verified or proven.

The “Freaks” article said that Mazi had a vertical jump of 44 inches. However, reality is around 10 inches less than the article claimed. Ten inches. That isn’t just a little different. That is a ton different.

Mazi didn’t even do the testing. There aren’t really numbers to even get a RAS score for him. So yeah, the 9.99 RAS for Mazi is 100% fiction.

Having said all of that, Mazi is still very athletic for a guy his size, is strong as an ox, and his feet are plenty quick to build a pass rushing repertoire in the pro’s. He is a really good prospect and personally, I really like the pick. He will provide something the defense has been missing for a long time.

However, please stop going around saying that Mazi has an RAS score of 9.99. It just isn’t true.
100%. This myth have already been crushed here a few times.

At the combine the only test Mazi did was bench press. Then at his pro day he did vert jump (29.5") and broad (8'11"). Solid numbers for his size, but not anything at all freakish. He never did official running tests, nor 3 cone.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mazi-smith-dt-michigan-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

Scalding tar and feathers come next for posters who keep repeating this fake RAS 9.9 stuff.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
There are a couple areas where Mazi Smith beats Jalen Carter, who was drafted much higher than Smith.

First, risk.

The biggest risk for Jalen Carter, in my opinion, is the video involving him in the crash. He has pleaded guilty to misdemeanor. However, more serious charges could come later. And quite honestly, they should and probably will.

"Although he’s charged with a misdemeanor. Now, once it gets over to the solicitor’s office or to the district attorney’s office, it can be upgraded to a felony,” attorney Patterson told WSBTV. "And it is no doubt that if he was not a University of Georgia football player, he probably would be charged with felony vehicular homicide."

Depending on how hard media coverage presses the local solicitor's office, it's possible Carter may never even see the field. It's true. If he was not a University of Georgia football player, he would likely be charged with vehicular homicide. The only reason they've gotten away with it, is because the media hasn't pressed them on it, or fought too hard to make this a story. But it is a story that would be important to the public interest. And it has the potential to gain traction and wheels to travel. That was my number 1 reason for not taking Jalen Carter too seriously: I didn't think the Cowboys would do it, because hopefully they had been advised of the legal implications and what happened. The video looks bad. And the news press will determine his fate.

Second, and probably less important, is RAS. Mazi at 9.99 vs. Carter at around 9. Down the line, with coaching and experience, and getting even stronger, Smith still has potential to be someone like Poe while Carter likely still hasn't gotten over his maturity hump, much like our Sam Williams. In any case, the more I learn about Smith, the more I like his potential on our team. Kudos to the scouting team on this one. They brought me back from apathy to being a hardcore fan again these past few years. Loving the product they are putting out there. Even the homegrown ones. lol
Don't think it's about the media pressing for charges, but rather if some PA thinks he or she can make a name for themselves by going after Carter. To do that, they have to be sure it's a case they can win. Otherwise, no attempt will be made.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Now for reality:

This incident will not impact Jalen Carter's career one bit. "He might never see the field"? Please...just stop it.

Jalen Carter was widely regarded as the best player in the draft. Mazi was widely regarded as a 2nd rounder.

Who knows how it will all play out....as "sure thing franchise Top 5 DLinemen" have Busted before....and guys taken much later with much less talent have had Hall Of Fame careers.

But as a PROSPECT....Carter is in a different stratosphere than Mazi...and this horrible tragedy won't touch Carters career.... and stop with the homicide silliness. You KNOW 100% that's not happening
Kind regards,
Not a cowboy fan

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Alright! Mazi=Hall of Fame, Carter=complete waist. Cowboys with Mazi Super Bowl in 2024. Eagles with Carter miss the playoffs. Only Jerry knew. He’s a genius.
Sorry if you're offended by someone who has a different opinion than yours. You're entitled to your opinion, but so am I, and I'm perfectly happy with the Cowboy's draft pick of Mazi.

Oh BTW, if the "eagles with Carter miss the playoffs", I'll be perfectly happy with that as well. :)

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
As long as Dallas has Martin and Smith at guards,,.line Carter on up,

plasticman

Reaction score
My question is....

Which player has the character and work ethic to continue learning and studying to be the best they can possibly be?

Some players evolve, some players enter the league as all they will ever be.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well, I don’t know, so I can’t say definitively… but I’d be really, really surprised if he jumped 44 inches at 310 and then about 31 at about 325. That is a Michael Jordan vertical at 310 pounds.

But, maybe so. He definitely is very athletic for a big guy.
A 44 inch vertical is insane at 310 pounds I don’t know if I believe that one.

CCBoy

Reaction score
My question is....

Which player has the character and work ethic to continue learning and studying to be the best they can possibly be?

Some players evolve, some players enter the league as all they will ever be.
Interaction among this group is very intense and with a baseline aggressive attitude. It enjoys contact and being successful. As long as evaluations continue as they have for the past two seasons, they will continue solving the problems as they arrive. Leadership here and now, maintains the standards.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Just know that the guy you’re talking to is an Eagles fan. Of course he will say that.
He has to know that the media storm is coming for Carter, if they do their job. If these people in power hate anything, it's bad press...

The Cowboys media connections should know about this ordeal and the implications as well.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Mazi Smith RAS score of 9.99 myth needs to go away.

The 9.99 score was when they plugged in the testing numbers from Bruce Feldman’s “Freaks” list. Numbers that were just word of mouth while he was still playing at Michigan. Those aren’t verified or proven.

All Mazi did pre-draft was bench press and vertical jump. He didn’t do any of the others tests I believe.

The “Freaks” article said that Mazi had a vertical jump of 44 inches. However, reality is around 10 inches less than the article claimed. Ten inches. That isn’t just a little different. That is a ton different.

Mazi didn’t even do the testing. There aren’t really numbers to even get a RAS score for him. So yeah, the 9.99 RAS for Mazi is 100% fiction.

Having said all of that, Mazi is still very athletic for a guy his size, is strong as an ox, and his feet are plenty quick to build a pass rushing repertoire in the pro’s. He is a really good prospect and personally, I really like the pick. He will provide something the defense has been missing for a long time.

However, please stop going around saying that Mazi has an RAS score of 9.99. It just isn’t true.

As for Carter… yeah, there is definitely some risk there but I see it as less about the accident and more about the mental make up. Todd McShay said that 7 NFL teams told him that Carter had a problem with following directions from the coaches. The teams said that Carter didn’t follow the defensive game plan and would often freelance. They said that he didn’t like being told what to do by the coaches, and that he didn’t like practice, at all. None of that is good from an NFL prospect.

Throw in that he didn’t even get in shape for his pro day - being over weight and out of shape - and you have the opposite of what you want to see in a prospect. It was a huge interview and he blew it.

There are real threats to Carter having an impact in the pros. Enough for several NFL teams to take him off of their board. He is talented though.
Feldman has him at a 6.95 3 cone which is absurd. Fastes for a DT at the combine was 7.33

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If you are going to compare Mazi to any young player on the Eagles it would be Jordan Davis. I think Mazi has a good chance to outperform him.

NFCBeasts

Reaction score
Oh stop it. I swear anyone in here who doesn't just blindly suck up every one of Jerruh's moves is labeled an Eagles fan.

Don't be so defensive and insecure that you have to slap a label on anyone who has an opinion different than yours.
You only comment on anti eagle players or posts … for a year plus. Your posting history proves where your loyalty lies.