CFZ Mazi Smith vs Jalen Carter - As a Prospect

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Carter strikes me as a guy that's going to be great for two years on talent alone, then either mature, get it together and have a great career. Or completely fizzle out.

Mazi I think will be a solid player in this league for 5-10 years.....he also has the potentially to be very good. But I'd say carters potential is higher if he reaches it.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Have not read through all the posts yet. But Goodell should suspend him 6 games. But since he is an Eagles player, no such witch hunt will happen.
You can't suspend a player coming out of college before he's even been in training camp, lol (except for Zeke).

conner01

Reaction score
Off field aside, Carter would be pick over smith 100 times out of 100
I don’t know if the legal issues are as serious as stated or not. I’d suspect a team would know everything about it though
But Carter wasn’t there at 26 so it’s not our problem
If smith can be impactful in the passing game he has the potential to really help this team. He’s in the perfect place to really blow up. He has a DC who will get the most out of him and he has other guys around him that will draw a lot of attention, making his job a bit easier
He wasn’t the player I wanted but I get why they picked him. I hope fans give him time to develop because inside on the Dline is tough and I expect his best years are down the road a year or two

conner01

Reaction score
Carter strikes me as a guy that's going to be great for two years on talent alone, then either mature, get it together and have a great career. Or completely fizzle out.

Mazi I think will be a solid player in this league for 5-10 years.....he also has the potentially to be very good. But I'd say carters potential is higher if he reaches it.
Well said

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Carter is a blue chip, top 5 kind of talent. He's on the same tier as Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, and Big Q, and all of those dudes have made All-Pro. It's cheesy as hell to say, but the only player who can block him is himself.

Mazi isn't as scary of an off-field risk, but he's easily 2 or 3 steps below Carter as a football player.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Off field aside, Carter would be pick over smith 100 times out of 100
I don’t know if the legal issues are as serious as stated or not. I’d suspect a team would know everything about it though
But Carter wasn’t there at 26 so it’s not our problem
If smith can be impactful in the passing game he has the potential to really help this team. He’s in the perfect place to really blow up. He has a DC who will get the most out of him and he has other guys around him that will draw a lot of attention, making his job a bit easier
He wasn’t the player I wanted but I get why they picked him. I hope fans give him time to develop because inside on the Dline is tough and I expect his best years are down the road a year or two
The comp shouldn’t be Carter and Smith any more than it’s Smith and Robinson or even Smith and Anderson. Mazi and Jalen don’t even really play the same position.

Carter was a top talent and was taken way before any realistic trade up situation. He has no impact on Dallas’ 2023 draft. It should be smith and smith. Nolan smith was a top 15 prospect there at 26 that Dallas passed on. He’s an Eagles because of that. That’s the “hope this one works out” that is more apt.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
This will be a backfire thread. Carter isn't what you experts hype him to be

harris33

Reaction score
Carter is a great replacement for Hargrave but definitely a down grade at this point. There is a reason Hargrave got a boat load of money. He is a great player.
Hargrave had a career year and cashed in on it. Not saying he isn't good player but prior to being on the eagles he averaged about 4 sacks per year. Last season was his best year in his career sack wise with 11 but the eagles had 3 other player with the same or more. Carter is a wildcard but thinking he is a downgrade may have some recency bias.

Legendz82

Reaction score
Hargrave had a career year and cashed in on it. Not saying he isn't good player but prior to being on the eagles he averaged about 4 sacks per year. Last season was his best year in his career sack wise with 11 but the eagles had 3 other player with the same or more. Carter is a wildcard but thinking he is a downgrade may have some recency bias.
Before the eagles, he was in a 3-4 with the Steelers. He wasn’t asked to rush the passer. He was schemed to eat up blockers. He had opportunity with the eagle’s. The rotation also helped. I think you are under selling Hargrave. The Carter being a down grade part is purely because he is a rookie. You would be asking a lot for a rookie to get 11 sacks.

kskboys

Reaction score
Before the eagles, he was in a 3-4 with the Steelers. He wasn’t asked to rush the passer. He was schemed to eat up blockers. He had opportunity with the eagle’s. The rotation also helped. I think you are under selling Hargrave. The Carter being a down grade part is purely because he is a rookie. You would be asking a lot for a rookie to get 11 sacks.
Hargrave is a stud. I was screaming for us to take him over Malik Collins.

harris33

Reaction score
Hargrave averaged like 7 sacks per year with the eagles and likely wont duplicate that 11 again but who knows. Heck Cox had 6 sacks last year and he is definitely trending down. Would rather have Hargrave over Cox but Carter over either of them is the best route the Eagles had and time will tell how it ends up.

Legendz82

Reaction score
Hargrave averaged like 7 sacks per year with the eagles and likely wont duplicate that 11 again but who knows. Heck Cox had 6 sacks last year and he is definitely trending down. Would rather have Hargrave over Cox but Carter over either of them is the best route the Eagles had and time will tell how it ends
Hargrave averaged like 7 sacks per year with the eagles and likely wont duplicate that 11 again but who knows. Heck Cox had 6 sacks last year and he is definitely trending down. Would rather have Hargrave over Cox but Carter over either of them is the best route the Eagles had and time will tell how it ends up.
oh I don’t disagree with you for the most part. My first reply was to a post that the eagles are worse this year compared to last. Although I don’t agree with that, I do believe that carter will not replace the 11 sacks Hargrave had. Of course, I would take Carter if we are talking about his entire career or Hargrave from here on out. But, let’s be honest what are you expecting out of him his rookie year? 5-6 sacks? 7? That would be amazing.

dreameaglegreen

Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better the Eagles passed on Warren Sapp for off field issues and took combine hero Mike Mamula, lol.
No it was worse than that, we traded up for mamula, and i was hoping we'd take sapp, funny that was the 1st draft i followed, not so funny how the 2 careers went in opposite directions

harris33

Reaction score
oh I don’t disagree with you for the most part. My first reply was to a post that the eagles are worse this year compared to last. Although I don’t agree with that, I do believe that carter will not replace the 11 sacks Hargrave had. Of course, I would take Carter if we are talking about his entire career or Hargrave from here on out. But, let’s be honest what are you expecting out of him his rookie year? 5-6 sacks? 7? That would be amazing.
I don't think 5 to 6 is out of the unreasonable in a 17 game season. The Eagles historically just don't give rookies that much playing time in general so if they hold to form he won't play as much as I would like but given he was a top ten pick it would be disappointing if he wasn't starting and playing significant minutes.