CFZ Mazi Smith vs Jalen Carter - As a Prospect

Reaction score
There are a couple areas where Mazi Smith beats Jalen Carter, who was drafted much higher than Smith.

First, risk.

The biggest risk for Jalen Carter, in my opinion, is the video involving him in the crash. He has pleaded guilty to misdemeanor. However, more serious charges could come later. And quite honestly, they should and probably will.

"Although he’s charged with a misdemeanor. Now, once it gets over to the solicitor’s office or to the district attorney’s office, it can be upgraded to a felony,” attorney Patterson told WSBTV. "And it is no doubt that if he was not a University of Georgia football player, he probably would be charged with felony vehicular homicide."

Depending on how hard media coverage presses the local solicitor's office, it's possible Carter may never even see the field. It's true. If he was not a University of Georgia football player, he would likely be charged with vehicular homicide. The only reason they've gotten away with it, is because the media hasn't pressed them on it, or fought too hard to make this a story. But it is a story that would be important to the public interest. And it has the potential to gain traction and wheels to travel. That was my number 1 reason for not taking Jalen Carter too seriously: I didn't think the Cowboys would do it, because hopefully they had been advised of the legal implications and what happened. The video looks bad. And the news press will determine his fate.

Second, and probably less important, is RAS. Mazi at 9.99 vs. Carter at around 9. Down the line, with coaching and experience, and getting even stronger, Smith still has potential to be someone like Poe while Carter likely still hasn't gotten over his maturity hump, much like our Sam Williams. In any case, the more I learn about Smith, the more I like his potential on our team. Kudos to the scouting team on this one. They brought me back from apathy to being a hardcore fan again these past few years. Loving the product they are putting out there. Even the homegrown ones. lol
If all the rumours about him not wanting to train and not wanting to
The Mazi Smith RAS score of 9.99 myth needs to go away.

The 9.99 score was when they plugged in the testing numbers from Bruce Feldman’s “Freaks” list. Numbers that were just word of mouth while he was still playing at Michigan. Those aren’t verified or proven.

All Mazi did pre-draft was bench press and vertical jump. He didn’t do any of the others tests I believe.

The “Freaks” article said that Mazi had a vertical jump of 44 inches. However, reality is around 10 inches less than the article claimed. Ten inches. That isn’t just a little different. That is a ton different.

Mazi didn’t even do the testing. There aren’t really numbers to even get a RAS score for him. So yeah, the 9.99 RAS for Mazi is 100% fiction.

Having said all of that, Mazi is still very athletic for a guy his size, is strong as an ox, and his feet are plenty quick to build a pass rushing repertoire in the pro’s. He is a really good prospect and personally, I really like the pick. He will provide something the defense has been missing for a long time.

However, please stop going around saying that Mazi has an RAS score of 9.99. It just isn’t true.

As for Carter… yeah, there is definitely some risk there but I see it as less about the accident and more about the mental make up. Todd McShay said that 7 NFL teams told him that Carter had a problem with following directions from the coaches. The teams said that Carter didn’t follow the defensive game plan and would often freelance. They said that he didn’t like being told what to do by the coaches, and that he didn’t like practice, at all. None of that is good from an NFL prospect.

Throw in that he didn’t even get in shape for his pro day - being over weight and out of shape - and you have the opposite of what you want to see in a prospect. It was a huge interview and he blew it.

There are real threats to Carter having an impact in the pros. Enough for several NFL teams to take him off of their board. He is talented though.
If that is true about carter he’s got no chance at this level. You only need to look at parsons and the way they struggle to keep him off the field and listen to him complaining he can’t have contact in training to understand what it takes to be unltra successful at this level.
I don’t agree that you need to love the game to be successful but you need drive and intensity and a top work ethic with what you do to make it to the top of any industry.
Anybody who’s lazy and thinks they know it all has absolutely no chance. People do grow up and maybe the penny will drop but it usually doesn’t.

Havic

Reaction score
I'm still going Mazi. In the long run, Mazi will prove to be the better NFL pick.
I think mazi will be good for us but as far as value goes, I’d take the risk with carter, it’s worth the gamble.

sandbridge77

Reaction score
Add losing both DC & OC doesn't help either. Could be surprised and the replacements may do well. Never know.
On paper they have less talent, but the potential to be better. However, I still feel drafting almost the entire Georgia defense from the past 2 years may not be wise.
But I do not pretend to be an NFL scout or know it all either. So I could be wrong on that as well. We will see in 2 to 3 years. Just my opinions.

We are assuming MM will be better than KM calling plays and scheme designs will be better.
But that won't take much to improve upon. :laugh:
Not sure many Eagle fans are concerned about losing their DC, many feel his success was more about the talent then his coaching. As far as the Georgia experiment, they will either look like geniuses or fools, on both counts like you said only time will tell.

But the beauty of this time of year, every team is undefeated and hope springs eternal.

CCBoy

Reaction score
If all the rumours about him not wanting to train and not wanting to

If that is true about carter he’s got no chance at this level. You only need to look at parsons and the way they struggle to keep him off the field and listen to him complaining he can’t have contact in training to understand what it takes to be unltra successful at this level.
I don’t agree that you need to love the game to be successful but you need drive and intensity and a top work ethic with what you do to make it to the top of any industry.
Anybody who’s lazy and thinks they know it all has absolutely no chance. People do grow up and maybe the penny will drop but it usually doesn’t.
Liking to chew glass doesn't hurt...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Not sure many Eagle fans are concerned about losing their DC, many feel his success was more about the talent then his coaching. As far as the Georgia experiment, they will either look like geniuses or fools, on both counts like you said only time will tell.

But the beauty of this time of year, every team is undefeated and hope springs eternal.
Eagle fans are singing 'Sweet Georgia on my mind.' We're licking our chops as we have been through times when All Americans played a summer game against the NFL champion... :rolleyes:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yeah like I read years and years ago. At this time of the year all fans have on rose colored glasses until they hit the field in September. :laugh:

Well, except on here many have on black rose glasses year round. :lmao2:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Only thing I would disagree with it Carter is not replacing Hargraves. Jordan Davis was drafted to replace Hargraves. Carter was drafted to replace Cox. But Davis isn't going to be able to replace what Hargraves did as a pass rusher and we'll see if Carter can replace what Cox does/did.
They lost another DT as well. Played for the Giants and Vikes before. Good player. He beat out Davis last year.

sandbridge77

Reaction score
Add losing both DC & OC doesn't help either. Could be surprised and the replacements may do well. Never know.
On paper they have less talent, but the potential to be better. However, I still feel drafting almost the entire Georgia defense from the past 2 years may not be wise.
But I do not pretend to be an NFL scout or know it all either. So I could be wrong on that as well. We will see in 2 to 3 years. Just my opinions.

We are assuming MM will be better than KM calling plays and scheme designs will be better.
But that won't take much to improve upon. :laugh:
Not sure many Eagle fans are concerned about losing their DC, many feel he”is success was more about the talent then his coaching. As far as the Georgia experiment, they will either look like geniuses or fools, on both counts like you said only time will tell.

But the beauty of this time of year, ever team is undefeated and hope springs eternal
Eagle fans are singing 'Sweet Georgia on my mind.'
i hope you’re right

mcmvp

Reaction score
Have not read through all the posts yet. But Goodell should suspend him 6 games. But since he is an Eagles player, no such witch hunt will happen.
Has there ever been an NFL suspension for something a player did while not yet employed in the NFL?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has there ever been an NFL suspension for something a player did while not yet employed in the NFL?
SERIOUSLY YOU ASK THIS?

Yes ZEKE...it happened in college, and there was no evidence or proof, just made up lies and hearsay. Where have you been?

Even though the rule was just that, can't suspend a player for what happened before they signed. But with Dallas they break their own rules.

CCBoy

Reaction score
SERIOUSLY YOU ASK THIS?

Yes ZEKE...it happened in college, and there was no evidence or proof, just made up lies and hearsay. Where have you been?

Even though the rule was just that, can't suspend a player for what happened before they signed. But with Dallas they break their own rules.
Team policy for their own signings...only.

mcmvp

Reaction score
SERIOUSLY YOU ASK THIS?

Zeke was drafted in April, 2016 - his accuser said there were more incidents in July of that year when he was a Cowboy. Yes it started when he was not yet drafted - but continued afterwards - "allegedly" anyway..

If Jalen Carter gets into another racing incident this summer, then you can call them similar

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke was drafted in April, 2016 - his accuser said there were more incidents in July of that year when he was a Cowboy. Yes it started when he was not yet drafted - but continued afterwards - "allegedly" anyway..

If Jalen Carter gets into another racing incident this summer, then you can call them similar
The difference is, it was alleged, and the NFL found no proof but acted on it anyway.
There is proof of Carter. But yeah, after he signs, then it would make a difference for sure.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Hargraves averaged 5 sacks a year prior to coming to Philadelphia, I believe the pass rushing talent and the deep rotation helped him obtain career highs in sacks the last two seasons.

I believe he will be missed but not to the extreme many fans do. The talent drop off isn’t as severe as it appears.
Hargraves was a 0T NT in a 3-4 for the Steelers. He was never used as a pass rusher for them. Never gave him that chance.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Honest question cause you put an intriguing statement. Do you have examples of both?
Charles Haley was a bit before my time....he had issues in his youth, rigjt? Lawrence Taylor. IDK...just seems like a lot.

For those who didn't work out...there's a zillion. What about that linebacker sanFran drafted high, with major character concerns...4 or 5 years ago....that never did anything? Blanking on name.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
You only comment on anti eagle players or posts … for a year plus. Your posting history proves where your loyalty lies.
Wow....completely incorrect, and 100% stalker/ creepy.

P.s. I don't know what posts YOU comment on...because I've never heard of you before. Boring

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The difference is, it was alleged, and the NFL found no proof but acted on it anyway.
There is proof of Carter. But yeah, after he signs, then it would make a difference for sure.
A good example of this is Randy Gregory. He failed a drug test at the combine back when the NFL was hardcore on Marijuana suspensions, and they said he wouldn’t be disciplined because it happened before he became an official player for the league.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
From the New York Times

Jalen Carter, a 21-year-old defensive tackle for the University of Georgia, pleaded no contest on Thursday to two misdemeanor charges of reckless driving and racing that stemmed from a car crash in January that killed two people, his lawyer Kim Stephens said in a statement.

Carter, who is a potential top-five pick in the N.F.L. draft in April, was sentenced to 12 months on probation and will be required to pay a $1,000 fine, perform 80 hours of community service and complete a state-approved defensive driving course. He will not serve any jail time and cannot face additional charges in connection with the crash.

The crash killed Devin Willock, Carter’s teammate at the University of Georgia, and Chandler LeCroy, a recruiting analyst, the morning after a parade on Jan. 14 celebrating the team for winning the national championship.