Twitter: Mazi Smith Weight Loss Disaster

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Maybe I'm late to this party but this is a huge indictment to Dan Quinn. What was the purpose of getting a run stuffing beast of a NT just to turn him into a damn DE? I've been more in support of DQ than against him but if this was his doing then I'm fully out on him.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Probably has something to do with him being so damn slow off the snap they thought weight loss would help improve that.
Yeah but nobody was looking for him to rush upfield, right? I thought the purpose of him coming in was to clog up the middle of the line. I get that being quicker off the snap would help with establishing leverage but so would an extra 30 lbs.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Might wanna get this guy pretty sure he will make more of an impact than push me all over the field Mazi....... :muttley:

hey-hey-hey-it-s-fat-albert-5frctihmryp3thas.gif

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If you’ve seen some of his explosive workout videos, you’ll know that he has quick twitch and amazing athletics for a huge man. At Michigan, he was trained to wait, read and react for years. I was told he would get in a game against good players and fall back on what he knew. It may take time to work that training out of him, but losing weight to become another 3-tech is just stupid, imo.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I will wait and see what happens in the second year. Let’s see how much he works on his game. Didn’t he say he didn’t care for football but just liked hitting people..

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah but nobody was looking for him to rush upfield, right? I thought the purpose of him coming in was to clog up the middle of the line. I get that being quicker off the snap would help with establishing leverage but so would an extra 30 lbs.
I don't believe Dallas ever saw it that way. The front office has said often before that you can find NTs later in the draft because they are just one- or two-down players. I believe they thought Mazi had a lot of potential to be a powerful, disruptive player who could succeed at 3-tech, and possibly believed losing weight would get him there. I hope they scrap that idea and let Mazi just work on becoming an NFL 1-tech. Find a disruptive 3-tech who is actually a 3-tech instead of a projection.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Dan Quinn is Rod 2.0. He should have zero input on draft day.

Mazi
Kelvin
Nashon
Chauncey
Sam
Cox
His claim to fame is blowing a huge lead in the super bowl, wearing his hat backwards, and being likable with his players. How that makes him a good defensive coordinator I don't understand and will never understand. His defenses absolutely suck. I can't even believe he's getting head coaching offers. If we don't get turnovers we get absolutely gashed. And 210 lb linebackers aren't going to cut it in the nfl. They never have and they never will. And neither does Dan quinn.

I knew we were in trouble the second he almost blew a game here when he pulled all of our starters few games into his first season. For some reason he just enjoys losing. You can see it in the 2 minute defenses he calls.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Taco and Tristan Hill showed more promise as rookies than Mazi. He only got 4 snaps against GB. He may be gone before his rookie deal is up.
Ugh. Quite the vote of no confidence for a 1st round pick.

Mazi was supposed to be the run stuffer who gave us a little pass rush too. Our balanced DT. Exactly what we've needed at DT, and particularly against an offense playing balanced ball like GB.

Mazi was tied for fewest defensive snaps of players who got snaps. Wonder if those snaps were just pity snaps at the end of the game. Ugh.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202401140dal.htm#all_home_snap_counts

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ugh. Quite the vote of no confidence for a 1st round pick.

Mazi was supposed to be the run stuffer who gave us a little pass rush too. Our balanced DT. Exactly what we've needed at DT, and particularly against an offense playing balanced ball like GB.

Mazi was tied for fewest defensive snaps of players who got snaps. Wonder if those snaps were just pity snaps at the end of the game. Ugh.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202401140dal.htm#all_home_snap_counts
He was such a swing and a miss he wasn’t even serviceable. Anytime he was on the field he was a liability which is why he got so few snaps.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I still don't understand why you can't just get a sumo wrestler in there to play 1T. Watch a sumo match, the skills translate. Sure, they probably aren't going to get many sacks but that's not their job. Just be 400lbs and in there on run downs to clog the middle.