Twitter: Mazi Smith Weight Loss Disaster

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
What an absolute disaster this draft was. Hopefully Overshown can comeback from injury and help salvage something from this draft class.
Overshown is what? 220 225lbs? Don't count on it. Team only has 1 other LB asides from Parson that weights over 240. Another area that needs to be addressed in the draft.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Probably has something to do with him being so damn slow off the snap they thought weight loss would help improve that.
He does not need to penetrate. He just needs to eat space and keep LB's clean. The second DT is your undersized quick step penetrator.

Trying to turn players into something they are not, instead of taking advantage of their strengths. Why would you draft him in the first round, if this was the plan to begin with.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Cowboys will always be there biggest obstacle. Kids very strong. Had a better chance of trying to develop him into a run stuffer. Hes not a pass rusher. Now its looking like a wasted pick. smh

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Cowboys will always be there biggest obstacle. Kids very strong. Had a better chance of trying to develop him into a run stuffer. Hes not a pass rusher. Now its looking like a wasted pick. smh
Exactly

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Taco and Tristan Hill showed more promise as rookies than Mazi. He only got 4 snaps against GB. He may be gone before his rookie deal is up.
Mazi is a NT. Those guys age well and improve over time.
The Cowboys wanted to thread the needle here and have him lose 30 pounds while maintaining strength and that only happens to a few freaks.
He needed that weight for leverage, and he was a catch and chase guy, not a gap shooter.
They are trying to build Aaron Donald, but Mazi will never be that without lots of drugs.

Mazi may top out as a backup NT but he likely has a long future in the league because you can't teach size.
With 1 sack, 13 total tackles, 9 solo and 3 for loss, his rookie year looks almost identical to Johnathon Hankins.
Dallas needs to accept that this is what Mazi is and stop trying to build a robot 3T out of a 1T.
He doesnt need to play 60% of the snaps. He needs to play 35% of the snaps hard and with a serious about of leverage and power.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Mazi is a NT. Those guys age well and improve over time.
The Cowboys wanted to thread the needle here and have him lose 30 pounds while maintaining strength and that only happens to a few freaks.
He needed that weight for leverage, and he was a catch and chase guy, not a gap shooter.
They are trying to build Aaron Donald, but Mazi will never be that without lots of drugs.

Mazi may top out as a backup NT but he likely has a long future in the league because you can't teach size.
With 1 sack, 13 total tackles, 9 solo and 3 for loss, his rookie year looks almost identical to Johnathon Hankins.
Dallas needs to accept that this is what Mazi is and stop trying to build a robot 3T out of a 1T.
He doesnt need to play 60% of the snaps. He needs to play 35% of the snaps hard and with a serious about of leverage and power.
It's like John Owning said, developmental malpractice

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He was never a run stuffer. Too many assumed he would be but he isn't. He was big and athletic in shorts, strong in the gym.
He was at Michigan but it definitely did not carry over to the NFL. I agree with you he just seems like a workout warrior at this level. If he was a 5th rd pick he would have been benched if not cut.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
His claim to fame is blowing a huge lead in the super bowl, wearing his hat backwards, and being likable with his players. How that makes him a good defensive coordinator I don't understand and will never understand. His defenses absolutely suck. I can't even believe he's getting head coaching offers. If we don't get turnovers we get absolutely gashed. And 210 lb linebackers aren't going to cut it in the nfl. They never have and they never will. And neither does Dan quinn.

I knew we were in trouble the second he almost blew a game here when he pulled all of our starters few games into his first season. For some reason he just enjoys losing. You can see it in the 2 minute defenses he calls.
I think you are missing he won a SB coaching one of the best defenses we saw in the 2010s. His claim to fame is the Legion of Boom not Atlanta.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was never a run stuffer. Too many assumed he would be but he isn't. He was big and athletic in shorts, strong in the gym.
Among those who made that assumption was Wll McClay who lobbied hard for him in the war room on the premise he was a plug and play DT who could help our run game day 1. So, if fans had that expectation, it is bc our front office had that expectation. They just messed up.

quickccc

Reaction score
Probably has something to do with him being so damn slow off the snap they thought weight loss would help improve that.
i would think that's exactly why they asked him to lose weight,.. which that scares me cuz it seems like an experimental last resort, becuz the coaches
dunno what else to do with his slow off ball reactions.

i'm vastly concerned that I don't think these coaches know how they can fix it.
And DL coach Adure is supposed to be one of the better DL coaches in the NFL per his multiple

The bulk and mass is included in as a 1st round prospect as supposedly the best run stopping DT in the NFL draft.
and Mazi has freakish overall athleticism for one his initial size. But despite coach up on stance, angles, hand techs, they
cannot improve his notorious slow get off .

CWR

Reaction score
I still don't understand why you can't just get a sumo wrestler in there to play 1T. Watch a sumo match, the skills translate. Sure, they probably aren't going to get many sacks but that's not their job. Just be 400lbs and in there on run downs to clog the middle.
Agreed, it seems simple. Be big, be strong, and clog things up.

J_Allen

Reaction score
I think you are missing he won a SB coaching one of the best defenses we saw in the 2010s. His claim to fame is the Legion of Boom not Atlanta.
Oh that's right, I forgot about that. Well Seattle had some very talented players on defense and he used them correctly.

Creeper

Reaction score
Not only did they ask him to love 30 lbs, they asked him to do it during the season. He was depleting his body of calories while being asked to exert himself playing football. Usually these body changes are done in the offseason.

DT take time to develop. Look at Alim McNeill and even Derrick Brown. Both had quiet rookie years, and even 2nd years. Both started to come into their own in their 3rd years. We need to give Mazi those two year, and not asking him to change who he is. They are treating him like a lte round developmental player and not a first round pick. If you wanted to change him so dramatically, then why take him in the first round?

I can see Mazi being something like Alim McNeill if they would just let him develop and help him along.

My question is, is Dan Quinn a good developer of talent? Which young Cowboys players have truly made huge strides as players since being drafted? None of the LBs have panned out. Maybe Osa, but he showed promise as a rookie. Sam Williams has been a disappointment. Golston is a JAG. Gallimore has been a disappointment. Dorance Armstrong faded away to almost nothing. They waived Ridgeway. And Mazi regressed during his rookie season while he withered his body down from a 1T to a 3T.

quickccc

Reaction score
His claim to fame is blowing a huge lead in the super bowl, wearing his hat backwards, and being likable with his players. How that makes him a good defensive coordinator I don't understand and will never understand. His defenses absolutely suck. I can't even believe he's getting head coaching offers. If we don't get turnovers we get absolutely gashed. And 210 lb linebackers aren't going to cut it in the nfl. They never have and they never will. And neither does Dan quinn.

I knew we were in trouble the second he almost blew a game here when he pulled all of our starters few games into his first season. For some reason he just enjoys losing. You can see it in the 2 minute defenses he calls.
Quinn was the DC (Legion of Boom) for Seahawks in the SB vs Peyton Manning's record breaking Denver offense.
that's what led him to be a hire here as a DC for the Cowboys.

His duty and results as a HC for ATL during their SB run vs NE, is really not what factored.

pitt33

Reaction score
A first round flop.

They get one of those every few years.

And all the other teams get them as well.