Twitter: Mazi Smith Weight Loss Disaster

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He was never a run stuffer. Too many assumed he would be but he isn't. He was big and athletic in shorts, strong in the gym.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Exactly.

He was a fire hydrant run stuffer with a slow first move.

Not sure what they expected with his weight loss? That he would suddenly become a pass rusher?
Who knows this is Dallas

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The bottom line is the DT that makes instant impact is rare. Mazi was rarely taught pass rush technique at Michigan because his job was a run stuffer. Patience was necessary with him.

To me the Cowboys didn't see enough right away, panicked and told him to slim down. Well, they better make up their minds what they want him to be because all they are doing is slowing his learning process down even more. Do they want a 332 pound nose tackle or a 295 pound 3 tech?

He can't be both. I assumed Mazi would be Johnathan Hankins' replacement. Guess they want another Osa instead???

HungryLion

Reaction score
His claim to fame is blowing a huge lead in the super bowl, wearing his hat backwards, and being likable with his players. How that makes him a good defensive coordinator I don't understand and will never understand. His defenses absolutely suck. I can't even believe he's getting head coaching offers. If we don't get turnovers we get absolutely gashed. And 210 lb linebackers aren't going to cut it in the nfl. They never have and they never will. And neither does Dan quinn.

I knew we were in trouble the second he almost blew a game here when he pulled all of our starters few games into his first season. For some reason he just enjoys losing. You can see it in the 2 minute defenses he calls.
honestly, I blame the FO more than Quinn.

They give him zero linebackers. His linebacking unit absolutely sucks and the FO keeps giving him slop at the position.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That excuse is getting old my friend, how long does it take to teach?? Had him in the spring, and during the season
Right but was that a focus or was losing weight and trying to remake him into a 3t the focus?

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I still don't understand why you can't just get a sumo wrestler in there to play 1T. Watch a sumo match, the skills translate. Sure, they probably aren't going to get many sacks but that's not their job. Just be 400lbs and in there on run downs to clog the middle.
Now that you mention it, I'm absolutely stunned we haven't tried this. This FO loves projects.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Quinn needs to go. According to sources he wanted Mazi to lose weight. Same as he's content on running safeties at linebacker. Can't see how any of this will work running back everything with no chances.

J_Allen

Reaction score
honestly, I blame the FO more than Quinn.

They give him zero linebackers. His linebacking unit absolutely sucks and the FO keeps giving him slop at the position.
That's when you move Parsons to linebacker and play Dorrance Armstrong in his place. You don't put a 210 lb safety out there. Unless you're a loser like Dan quinn.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
I am absolutely SURE that Michigan coaches never told Mazi to torpedo his career and wait a whole second to move after the ball was snapped. He just can't move. And we drafted him!

lostar2009

Reaction score
Dont know about being slow off the ball etc. But he graded as being very athletic and fast for a DT. Everyone was under the impression he would come in year 1 for run support. In the meantime homing on some pass rushing moves etc. I didnt think this guy would be complete until year 3 or 4. But they wash this guy out early. Should've just traded the pick to KC who wanted him if they was going to waste this player time.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
What an absolute disaster this draft was. Hopefully Overshown can comeback from injury and help salvage something from this draft class.
Overshown is an ex-UT Longhorn baller.
I hope he can stop the UT cycle of soft and injured players.