Mazi Smith's performance

CWR

Reaction score
....they put faith in the guy. Thats why they rid of Hanky. They gambled, hopefully Mazi at least gets to par level.

Meaning basically doing the job, nothing more or spectacular.
Seems like an odd guy to put faith in at this point. I agree that's what they did, but disagree with the thought process.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It was a low bar for progression but in the small amount I was able to watch I saw more Mazi making plays than last year.
Sure the questions were about his balance taking on doubles, his ability to disengage from blocks, and his conditioning.

He answered them where he was expected to fail.

Reactions: CWR

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Well, let us know when he progresses
I will hold your hand through the process.

Going in Broaddus and others were saying that he could not get off blocks, he had poor balance taking on double teams, and that he had poor conditioning.

In this past game he got off blocks, stood up to double teams, and was still plugging holes after playing every down for two quarters.

Do you need me to explain how that is progression or can you take if from here?

jwitten82

Reaction score
I will hold your hand through the process.

Going in Broaddus and others were saying that he could not get off blocks, he had poor balance taking on double teams, and that he had poor conditioning.

In this past game he got off blocks, stood up to double teams, and was still plugging holes after playing every down for two quarters.

Do you need me to explain how that is progression or can you take if from here?
Lol he was getting pushed back multiple times, playboi

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I was not impressed, he had a good play where he sniffed out the screen pass, but he was still slow off the ball and seen him getting pushed back multiple times
There's a difference between college strength and NFL strength. Mazi doesn't have the latter, it seems.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Lol he was getting pushed back multiple times, playboi
Show me the clips. Maybe you got 68 and 58 mixed up or thought Fehoko who was getting smoked regularly was him but he was not getting washed.

Pro tip: giving up a step or two before sitting down on a double team is not a bad thing. Compare it to what was happening to Fehoko.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
GUYS ITS THE FIRST PRE-SEASON GAME AND HE WASNT LINED UP NECT TO THE STARS HELP BE PLAYIMG WITH. Lol yall are crazy man smdh
And he wasn't playing against the stars, either. Besides, getting shoved around has nothing to do with the players next to him, we're talking one on one battles here...

jwitten82

Reaction score
Show me the clips. Maybe you got 68 and 58 mixed up or thought Fehoko who was getting smoked regularly was him but he was not getting washed.

Pro tip: giving up a step or two before sitting down on a double team is not a bad thing. Compare it to what was happening to Fehoko.
I didn't record the game. The dude sucked

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I didn't record the game. The dude sucked
I rewatched the game after recording it and have looked for what you claim and found nothing of the sort.

As I pointed out people were mixing up 68 with him but you just seem like you do not know what you are watching.

Reactions: CWR

jwitten82

Reaction score
I rewatched the game after recording it and have looked for what you claim and found nothing of the sort.

As I pointed out people were mixing up 68 with him but you just seem like you do not know what you are watching.
Lol no you did not watch it

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

I couldn't watch the game, blacked out here in Louisiana.

But I found a replay, watched about 2 minutes of a Rams drive early in the game. Mazi was stuffed every time. Maybe he played better later, I don't know but based on those 4 plays it wasn't pretty....

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Mazi needs to work on his quickness off the ball. He allows the Oline to gain leverage because he is so slow off the ball. Look at how number 90 for the rams looked (who was a 6th round draft pick). He was firing off the ball and was wrecking havoc vs our oline.

jblaze2004

Reaction score

I was wondering if I had mistaken 68 for Mazi a few times since they both have dreads and the 58 looking close to 68 and they both played DT.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I couldn't watch the game, blacked out here in Louisiana.

But I found a replay, watched about 2 minutes of a Rams drive early in the game. Mazi was stuffed every time. Maybe he played better later, I don't know but based on those 4 plays it wasn't pretty....
You mean the first drive where the Cowboys telecast pointed out two plays where he did well?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I mean people are always gonna write Mazi off to support their opinion that the Cowboys messed up. This is the guys second year. He deserves some grace.
The cz way. I've said for years that people on here are obsessed with their pre draft rankings. It doesn't matter what mazi does. People on here say osa sucks when every metric says he was top 10. Mazi is doomed on cz unless he has a 8 sack season

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Sure the questions were about his balance taking on doubles, his ability to disengage from blocks, and his conditioning.

He answered them where he was expected to fail.
Yeah, he played way better than expected or some wanna give him credit

Loso86

Reaction score
And he wasn't playing against the stars, either. Besides, getting shoved around has nothing to do with the players next to him, we're talking one on one battles here...
He was playing against some stars. And maybe I didn't watch the plays yoi watched but I didn't see him getting shaved around all game. And playing with other stars DOES have an effect on things especially when the C or G has to worry about Parsons etc lining up there

Jfconrow

Reaction score
First of all,

they couldn't play a completely different positions anymore than you're describing!!!! :muttley: :facepalm: Fehco's a disappointment because he was supposed to be a pass rusher ,he's not ,they kicked him inside it a three tech ie 3T that where Osa plays and where gallimore played.. that would be defensive tackle, not nose tackle,

so you're going from a guy who's been a disappointment at defensive end that has to be moved inside to even try to make this team but he plays the three tech or an outside defensive end,

nowhere close to what Mazi plays. Literally you would compare him to rogers and davis and old Hankins NOT Fehoko lmao.

they're not even supposed to be compared, it's why clueless fans who say things out loud and shouldn't... I call those casuals, you don't even know what positions they play... would be like me saying that Ferguson's a terrible wide receiver compared to what cropper looked like and then we'd be like oh that's right they play two different positions of course 1 looks better at the position he's supposed to play!!! ... LMAO
Oh yea there a huge diff between someone on the inside shade of the 3 and the outside shade of the 3. I never saw Mazi lined up on the center, in my book that makes him a 3T and with 4 down DL I would say the story checks out. They were both getting double teamed all plays…who looked better?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Oh yea there a huge diff between someone on the inside shade of the 3 and the outside shade of the 3. I never saw Mazi lined up on the center, in my book that makes him a 3T and with 4 down DL I would say the story checks out. They were both getting double teamed all plays…who looked better?
Then you should look at the Rams game again.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Looking at this thread those that think he will be something good and those that don't were looking at the same plays and coming to different conclusions