Mazi Smith's performance

coult44

Reaction score
Much prefer Watkins . Dallas played the Comnanders twice last yr never remember Ridgeway as a factor . Watkins was active when he was here . Good rotational fit.
I agree , I think Ridgeway was hurt most of last year.

Sydla

Reaction score
he doesn't look like a starter but you do realize they just change the defense.. Last year they had him doing some odd things the alleged which we still don't know weight gain loss blah blah blah

from my point of view I believe he can be a backup a good role player here I don't know if he's a starter I think some of those other big dudes came in looked pretty good I mean there's something to work with I think Zimmer is gonna have to pick which big fatty is the best and start him and then they just rotate a lot try to keep these guys fresh...

So right now I'm saying that he it's hit and miss he's like a backup he has some really good plays and then he has some where he just gets shoved out of the way....TBD INC grade.
Wait, you think our first round pick can be a good backup/role player? Hahahaha. If Mazi Smith is a backup DT, this team has serious issues at DT.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
"Dare someone"? It seems that's what most people continuously post...about most of our players. Not saying I disagree, but let's see how this year goes before passing definitive judgement I think.
you think, well from the things I saw he may have done a few good things to some, but to me I didn't see much in terms of getting off the ball and getting off blocks to get to the ball carrier

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
Guess well see if later this year it gets goin for him
DTs tend to peak late so if hes still slow by year 3 we can prob say hes another taco

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
120073_8.jpg

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
....they put faith in the guy. Thats why they rid of Hanky. They gambled, hopefully Mazi at least gets to par level.

Meaning basically doing the job, nothing more or spectacular.
Weird. The post you quoted attributed it to being me, but it wasn’t my post.

Strange.

kumizi

Reaction score
If he wasn’t a first round pick, he wouldn’t make the team out of training camp.

Neither would Schoonmaker.

What an awful draft.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
He's a career back-up at best. He has the physical traits and the ability. Doesn't have it between the ears. After us, he will get a chance at one or two more teams who think they can salvage him. He'll be out of the game in 4 or 5 years. We need a serviceable starter. And just let the LBs play.

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
By and large I thought Mazi looked pretty bad.

What really opened my eyes was how poor his effort was on a few pass rush snaps. He literally just quit playing on a few of them. Just completely unacceptable.

Not to mention that he still is stupid slow off the ball.

I think it’s pretty safe to say at this point that he’s probably not going to be a good one. Rarely does a player look this terrible to begin his career and end up being anything.

What a miss in the first round. Mazi is just a bad football player.
I saw that on a few plays too, was easily the last one off the ball and then just walked right into the oline and gave up, like a peewee league kid or something who didn’t know what he was doing. No effort.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Fehoko(sp) looked bigger and better. Mazi got pushed around and looked slow. He has some power rush up the middle but he looks small and it’s just average push. He was double teamed most plays. Mazi was a mistake. He almost needs to drop 20 or 30 lbs and try as a DE behind Lawrence. The problem is they’re playing Kneeland behind Lawrence because they want Parsons as the Ware type RDE. They need another speedy sack guy not a bunch of slow power DT and DEs.
First of all,

they couldn't play a completely different positions anymore than you're describing!!!! :muttley: :facepalm: Fehco's a disappointment because he was supposed to be a pass rusher ,he's not ,they kicked him inside it a three tech ie 3T that where Osa plays and where gallimore played.. that would be defensive tackle, not nose tackle,

so you're going from a guy who's been a disappointment at defensive end that has to be moved inside to even try to make this team but he plays the three tech or an outside defensive end,

nowhere close to what Mazi plays. Literally you would compare him to rogers and davis and old Hankins NOT Fehoko lmao.

they're not even supposed to be compared, it's why clueless fans who say things out loud and shouldn't... I call those casuals, you don't even know what positions they play... would be like me saying that Ferguson's a terrible wide receiver compared to what cropper looked like and then we'd be like oh that's right they play two different positions of course 1 looks better at the position he's supposed to play!!! ... LMAO

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To all those saying he is too slow getting off the ball. How many are expert DC's to know what his assignment actually is? He is not pass rusher, so he needs to react to the run so he needs to read then react as to the direction of the play.
So is he really that slow, or is it just a thing against a player.

How many can really tell from watching him on a TV screen with the camera half way up the stadium when you see the entire offense and defense at the same time.

I will give him more time, it is his 2nd year, and he had no offseason work due to shoulder surgery.

blueblood70

Reaction score
To all those saying he is too slow getting off the ball. How many are expert DC's to know what his assignment actually is? He is not pass rusher, so he needs to react to the run so he needs to read then react as to the direction of the play.
So is he really that slow, or is it just a thing against a player.

How many can really tell from watching him on a TV screen with the camera half way up the stadium when you see the entire offense and defense at the same time.

I will give him more time, it is his 2nd year, and he had no offseason work due to shoulder surgery.
It's the other way around I think it's people's eyes that are broke because they keep looking at this guy as an inside defensive tackle like a three tech they do not understand the position at all literally a dude above is comparing him to Fehoko you know the guy was supposed to be a pass rushing defensive end the next Armstrong who they had to kick inside now you know and actually defensive end and a three tech not a nose tackle which is considered a one tech people still don't understand the position at all... If it doesn't come attached to a bunch of stat lines they don't get it you know it doesn't equate to their fantasy football teams...

RonWashington

Reaction score
If he wasn’t a first round pick, he wouldn’t make the team out of training camp.

Neither would Schoonmaker.

What an awful draft.

I thought and I could be wrong that Lances corner end zone throw to Schoon was catchable ?

CWR

Reaction score
It's just hard to imagine with a whole off-season of work with Zimmer's staff and him regaining his weight he hasn't improved considerably or that he's suddenly going to get a lot better in training camp.

To be clear, I hope that's true, but I worry this will end up another player they hold on to for 4 years driven by ego from drafting him in a high round before they finally move on from him.
Lat year was a mulligan. This is more a rookie season than last year. I'm not making excuses, but DQ was detrimental to his development, trying to make him something he is not.

Doesn't matter though..

He's gotta improve as the season goes along or I'm churning next off season.