Mazi weighs 310lbs from being 293lbs

speedkilz88

Reaction score
At 1 tech I would think occupying blockers and collapsing the pocket wouldn't be as heavily reliant on firing off the ball. It doesn't seem a fatal flaw given his job description, but what do I know?
Quinn & Marinelli wanted the 3T to penetrate the gaps and disrupt, so yeah a 1T in Zimmer's scheme is more like what Michigan had Mazi do and he's commented about that in his last interview on the team site.

/and his issues last year was a reaction to the snap and not being slow. He was coming from a read and react scheme at Michigan so it's quite an adjustment.

Last edited:
Reactions: CWR

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
At 1 tech I would think occupying blockers and collapsing the pocket wouldn't be as heavily reliant on firing off the ball. It doesn't seem a fatal flaw given his job description, but what do I know?
You're absolutely correct, plus the narrative that he can't get off the ball is overblown. He is very capable and did it often a year ago. A guy with both a slower and quicker get off is actually a very good tool to have as an interior player.

Reactions: CWR

75boyz

Reaction score
Has no explosion off the ball even at a lower weight, let along higher weight…
Yep, and to make matters worse is his reaction time/get off is delayed. One of the stranger poorest traits of a lineman is to be a second behind everyone else at the snap of the ball. To watch that snap after snap and never be corrected is an epic red flag.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Fat, skinny who cares can they guy play? Seems pretty soft so far. I predict a massive up tick in his contract year then a massive drop off followed up with early retirement. He is in the perfect home.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Yep, and to make matters worse is his reaction time/get off is delayed. One of the stranger poorest traits of a lineman is to be a second behind everyone else at the snap of the ball. To watch that snap after snap and never be corrected is an epic red flag.
To say that this has never been corrected is false. You can absolutely see progression on this if you go back and watch him snap by snap last season. I'd also argue that it's really that much of an issue as well. To me Mazi as I watch his tape he has a significantly bigger issue in his ability to read blocks than he does getting off the football. Moving back in to primarily be a 1T should help him quite a bit here, especially if he can maintain his size.

75boyz

Reaction score
To say that this has never been corrected is false. You can absolutely see progression on this if you go back and watch him snap by snap last season. I'd also argue that it's really that much of an issue as well. To me Mazi as I watch his tape he has a significantly bigger issue in his ability to read blocks than he does getting off the football. Moving back in to primarily be a 1T should help him quite a bit here, especially if he can maintain his size.
Yeah, opinions vary I guess brother. I did not see any improvement in his snap getoff delay.
No worries.

Cowboys!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And what is the weight? Did he just sit around and pig out on pizza and beer and add fat? Or is it at least some solid muscle? Shoulders do a lot, he could work out legs, back, etc. but depending on the type of shoulder surgery he might not have been to do any bench work, etc. meaning he has to regain strength to push on/back against 0-linemen. Should be fairly easy for a big, young guy I guess. But again, we'll see.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
In the AA gap scheme that MZim uses, don’t the DTs play in the B gaps?

Does he need to be that heavy? He won’t be taking on C/G every snap.
He will still need to occupy the C/G. That's part of what makes Zimmer's gap blitz effective. The center/guard have to engage the NT, which allows the linebacker to come around and pressure the QB or tackle the RB.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Zimmer's scheme will be less reliant on it than Quinn's. Quinn wanted to attack the quarterback and play the run on the way. Zimmer will have his interior linemen in particular do more read and react.

CWR

Reaction score
Zimmer's scheme will be less reliant on it than Quinn's. Quinn wanted to attack the quarterback and play the run on the way. Zimmer will have his interior linemen in particular do more read and react.
Yeah Quinn tried to make our 1 tech something he isn't. I don't understand his thought process regarding Mazi.

visionary

Reaction score
1T is about mindset even more than weight

He has the weight
Lets see if he has the mindset

Im not convinced