Mazi weighs 310lbs from being 293lbs

CWR

Reaction score
Hankins was the starter.

He was better.
So? Mazi was a rookie, because he wasn't immediately better than Hankins that was justification to completely change his game? If he thought so little of him he shouldn't have pounded the table to draft the kid. He got zero opportunity to develop in his natural position.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
You're reading way too much into the AA blitz stuff. That wont be the base defense look, and is primarily used for passing downs. What you're likely to see in these situations is Mazi off the field, OSA and DLaw at DT.

Even in the picture in the link you shared shows #97 Everson Griffin who is naturally a DE pushed down inside. If you want to really get an idea of what Zim may ask Mazi to do and where to align I'd look for #58 Michael Pierce for that 2021 squad in pictures and film.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
You're reading way too much into the AA blitz stuff. That wont be the base defense look, and is primarily used for passing downs. What you're likely to see in these situations is Mazi off the field, OSA and DLaw at DT.

Even in the picture in the link you shared shows #97 Everson Griffin who is naturally a DE pushed down inside. If you want to really get an idea of what Zim may ask Mazi to do and where to align I'd look for #58 Michael Pierce for that 2021 squad in pictures and film.
Zim also blitzes at one of the lowest rates in the league as well. He's normally a "drop 7" guy.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Zim also blitzes at one of the lowest rates in the league as well. He's normally a "drop 7" guy.
Absolutely. I don't know exactly what his tendencies were in Minnesota during the end, but I know in Dallas and even Cincinnati those blitz looks would result in guys bailing out quite often. I think that's one of the big reasons that his blitz scheme works. Even when he shows blitz offenses aren't always expecting it.

Praxit

Reaction score
What are your thoughts, good, still needs more weight, or what??

k-keptax-fettsack.gif

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Fat, skinny who cares can they guy play? Seems pretty soft so far. I predict a massive up tick in his contract year then a massive drop off followed up with early retirement. Sadly he is in the perfect home.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
If that's 17lbs of muscle, it should help him fill his primary responsibility...holding ground and anchoring to free up the linebackers. 323 with a bunch of fat is alot different than 310 of lean muscle. I won't go as far as saying it will improve his production on the field, but it is a step in the right direction.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
What illness?
He has the sleep apnoea Syndrom.

It was diagnosed last year. That Was the reason he had to drop weight.

He also has another more or less serious illness. I just cant remember right now what it was. It came out a few months after they admitted that he suffers from sleep apnoea.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
What are your thoughts, good, still needs more weight, or what??

He's not a freak athlete so I don't expect him to sack the QB. What i do expect from him is to absorb double teams. Osa should have a big year along with our LBs being "clean" if Mazi plays like he did at Michigan.

Would like to see him beef up to 325lbs though. I'm tired of teams running on us whenever they feel like it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah Quinn tried to make our 1 tech something he isn't. I don't understand his thought process regarding Mazi.
I think the reason he wanted us to take him in the first round — the reason he could justify to his bosses who definitely don't value spending a first-rounder on a run-down lineman — is because of the traits he saw for Mazi to be more than a 1-tech. He saw explosive athletic skill in a big, powerful package and thought he could develop it quickly by fixing Mazi's slowness off the snap. When he couldn't fix that quickly, he tried to do it by having Mazi drop weight.

Zimmer is not going to worry as much about Mazi's explosiveness and is just going to want him to have the power and bulk that he did in college to be hard to move in the middle. Quinn should have started at that same place and let Mazi develop into his "freak" traits, which he may eventually do.

Reactions: CWR

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Weight is getting where it needs to be but more important is his attitude and ferocity in attacking the OL. DL is about will and want to, being relentless, without that type of attitude your big body won't do much.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
He has the sleep apnoea Syndrom.

It was diagnosed last year. That Was the reason he had to drop weight.

He also has another more or less serious illness. I just cant remember right now what it was. It came out a few months after they admitted that he suffers from sleep apnoea.
I've heard people on here say he has sleep apnea but this is the only place I've heard it. I can't find any actual source on the internet reporting that.