McCarthy: 9 seconds on the clock

CWR

Reaction score
This is true. I think he's playing the percentages. We held New York to six points in the half and we weren't having much success reaching the end zone, so it wasn't likely that it was going to be a high-scoring game. I think if the game was a shootout, we definitely would have taken a shot.

That's ultimately all I can hope for, is that he makes decisions based on the flow of the game or some form of logic.

He knew his Defense was killing them. Get the points and move forward. It frustrated me at the time, but made sense.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Was listening to a sound bite of McCarthy being directly questioned why he didn’t call a time out with 9-10 seconds left on the clock at the 8-yard line before the half.

Dak was staring at the sideline gesturing for the time out but never got the okay to do so.

Nine seconds is plenty of time to run a pass play into the endzone.

McCarthy’s explanation was “we wanted the three points.”

This is just another example of McCarthy being a mental midget with clock management. This was his reputation in Green Bay and we’ve seen it play out time after time this season.
Yep absolutely stupid unless he does not trust Dak to not take a sack!

JustChip

Reaction score
I am ok with his decision. Points were a premium at that time and in this game and wind. If he calls a timeout and Dak throws a pick or time runs out, people would criticize him.

McCarthy did not get greedy and, in hindsight, looks to have made the safe and correct decision.
Yep. The Chargers’ coach was aggressive/greedy right before half. How did that work out? How did Harbaugh’s aggressiveness work out yesterday?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
You get sacked, no FG
You throw a pick, no FG
You kick the FG, yes FG

The offense was not doing good and our QB is not confident. I was happy with the 3 pts with a 12 point lead at half against a sorry *** giants team with 0 offense.
It's bigger than the Giants. It's about sound football logic. It's about building the right habits. The stakes will get higher. And when they do, this head coach has proven that he does not understand basic clock management or is unable to execute when pressure of the game makes an appearance. And all of you apologists will see the light when he does this in a 1 and done tournament. He has done it way too many times for this to be a coincidence.

Ken

Reaction score
Nope just like in L.A. they would rather kick an FG than trust Rayne to throw.......They have 0 confidence in him!
Hence the game plan dink and dak.
Did Prescott have a pass over 20 yards yesterday against an injury-riddled Giant Defense?
Yes,
they were dropped.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
You get sacked, no FG
You throw a pick, no FG
You kick the FG, yes FG

The offense was not doing good and our QB is not confident. I was happy with the 3 pts with a 12 point lead at half against a sorry *** giants team with 0 offense.

At the time I was upset that they didn't try for the endzone but thinking about it more I lean toward it being the right call.

I agree. Because we all know Dak needs "stellar" at every position group.

If someone on the o line gets a holding call, that's a 10 second runoff and they don't get points.

Last edited:

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
This was a bad decsion. The fact that the O is struggling is the exact reason you call the time out and give them a shot. Show you have confidence in them. Let them play through this. Instead, you take the ball out of your players hands and give it to a guy who is iffy at best. This type of thinking will lose a game against a good team. You have 2 of the best contested ball WR in Gallup and Lamb. Stack the formation, get one of them one on one and make a good throw, it's either a TD or an incomplete pass, then kick the FG. He basically said to the Offense, you guys suck and I trust this kicker who can't make a extra points more than you. What a message.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
This was a bad decsion. The fact that the O is struggling is the exact reason you call the time out and give them a shot. Show you have confidence in them. Let them play through this. Instead, you take the ball out of your players hands and give it to a guy who is iffy at best. This type of thinking will lose a game against a good team. You have 2 of the best contested ball WR in Gallup and Lamb. Stack the formation, get one of them one on one and make a good throw, it's either a TD or an incomplete pass, then kick the FG. He basically said to the Offense, you guys suck and I trust this kicker who can't make a extra points more than you. What a message.

With that logic you could just as easily say McCarthy was trying to build Zuerlein's confidence. The Cowboys aren't gonna go far if he is missing extra points in a close game.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You get sacked, no FG
You throw a pick, no FG
You kick the FG, yes FG

blah, blah, blah....... Sacked? Nope, because you take 1,2,3 and throw it. If you cant run one play because you are so afraid you might throw a pick, you are simply not winning a SB. That was stupid. No getting around it.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
No, it was a good call by MM. It was explained in post #2. As I also posted about it in another thread.
Don't do a LAC at that point. Take the 3 points on the road right before half. Do not give the opponent a reason to go into half time with momentum on a failed TD attempt.
momentum because your opponent misses a fg right before the half? bahahahaahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahha

its hilarious how we twist things to fit the narrative we like.

Mannix

Reaction score
Getting sacked with no time outs and 8 seconds on the clock makes it nearly impossible to get lined up and spike the ball for a field goal attempt.
If Dak can't avoid a sack by throwing it out of the back of the endzone, then has no business being our QB....in that same situation, Rodgers would have called the timeout on his own....and if pressured, would get rid of the ball 100 times out of 100.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Was listening to a sound bite of McCarthy being directly questioned why he didn’t call a time out with 9-10 seconds left on the clock at the 8-yard line before the half.

Dak was staring at the sideline gesturing for the time out but never got the okay to do so.

Nine seconds is plenty of time to run a pass play into the endzone.

McCarthy’s explanation was “we wanted the three points.”

This is just another example of McCarthy being a mental midget with clock management. This was his reputation in Green Bay and we’ve seen it play out time after time this season.
What worried me more. Was that Dak wanted to call the timeout and MM wouldnt let him lol. When your QB knows more about football than you and is wanting the TO to go for it, that says a lot to me.

Mannix

Reaction score
Yep absolutely stupid unless he does not trust Dak to not take a sack!

Bingo....Dak moves around and runs like he's carrying a piano on his back....that's why I call him The Music Box (Laurel and Hardy)

Loso86

Reaction score
You get sacked, no FG
You throw a pick, no FG
You kick the FG, yes FG

The offense was doing OK enough to do a 3 step lob to Gallup in the back of the endzone

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
As bad as McCarthy is at clock management, Dak hasn't exactly inspired confidence in him being able to make a play...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
momentum because your opponent misses a fg right before the half? bahahahaahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahha

its hilarious how we twist things to fit the narrative we like.

Hilarious how the haters just hate.

Anyway, yes momentum, any little thing can give a team momentum.

And your post does not make any sense....I DID NOT say from a missed FG.
I said from an INT, or sack, or failed TD attempt if the clock ran out.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I don’t understand why people had a problem with the no timeout. We were at around the 10 I believe?

the likelihood of you scoring there with the defense play in the end zone is unlikely.

I like taking the 3 there

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
i understand the argument but i have 0 issue with him not calling the timeout. why get greedy and risk the 3 points? your defense is playing lights out, don’t give them any life going into half.
Because you have a kicker that keeps missing kicks. Playing for 3 there is weak. That kind of decision making will not beat the best of the best.

Nav22

Reaction score
I didn’t like it either, but in hindsight, it was fine.

Same reason we didn’t really test their secondary deep much. It just wasn’t necessary against this team on this day.

As others have pointed out, a lot can go wrong with 1 more offensive snap. So McCarthy took the 3 points and the 12-point lead going into the half.