McCarthy is Awful

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Did Zuerlein bail him out or was this the designed outcome of the strategy the staff employed?

My initial reaction was much the same as most everyone else - I wanted to get closer BUT after finding stats indicating that NFL kickers make 61.9% of kicks from 50+ yards I think the staff’s strategy comes into more clarity here.

1. You run in a situation where a run is generally not expected hoping for the big gain and a shorter FG.

2. If you get the big gain then you play for the kick from that point on.

3. If the run gets stuffed you force SD to take TO and then run whatever play you want to advance the ball for a shorter kick. This has the benefit of making SD burn a TO at the expense of giving us the time to construct a more elaborate scheme to get closer.

4. If the run gets stuffed and SD doesn’t call a TO then milk the clock and rely on your kicker and a 61.9% chance of winning the game as time expires.

lol, come on..

this is not a bad strategy. If anything it’s ballsy. It might not be how most of us would have played this, because we don’t have the balls, but it wasn’t conceived in the mind of an imbecile either.
they ran the ball, because they wanted to get to the right hash mark for the kick. previous play had them on the left hashmark. they didn't expect much gain, but they ended up there. what they were expecting was chargers to call a timeout, which they didn't (and in that situation they should have, so their mistake). what we should have been doing with the players is saying, we are going to play hurry up offense, line up and go....if they call a time out, then fine. if not run a pass play to the sideline to try and get closer....it couldn't get worse than 56 yarder. if they gained 5-8 yards, the odds go from 61.9% to 80% plus.....I take those odds.

basel90

Reaction score
That wasn't the first time, nor will it be the last, the Cowboys screw up clock management. And while not his call, he's still responsible as the HC for that debacle at the end of the half with the roughing the kicker. McCarthy and this staff can be too aggressive at the absolute wrong times.
Indeed . I am sure MM asked Kellen what was going on and took part of rhe blame . The issue here is MM is not in charge of the offense or defense as these coaches are hired by Jerry basically and MM cannot fire them . This is the key here . He does not have ultimate authority. Players know this and respect their position coaches more . The only one in full charge is Jerry , howeve , there are a few coaches in full charge in the NFL . Beliceck is one , and the results have been outstanding . I think the Steelers , bucs , Jaguars, inners , chiefs , and Rams and packers have that type of a coach ,

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He has to say thats what he wanted to do because if he says anything else like he made a mistake and should of called the timeout with 30 sec left than he looks like he doesnt know what hes doing. It turned out fine so it doesnt have any repercussions but the week before against Tampa he left too much time on the clock. He needs to work on game planning for these situations and teach Dak how to handle the clock and plays to call.
I’m not even going by that he said it. I’m going by what they should’ve done. It was the commentators that made it sound so confusing. That’s why I can’t stand Tony

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Hey, fans, what's wrong with the success we've enjoyed with this team? Why doesn't that inspire all of us to appreciate the job that McCarthy has done in these first two games? We're playing far better than we have in many years. Yet somehow, we choose to knock MM like he's failing miserably to lead this team into playing great vs. some top teams. Let's give credit when and where it's due. Be fans, not critics! Being fair isn't asking too much. o_O

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
Do people seriously not see a better team here? So quick to want a new coach when the direction of the roster looks a million times better than it has in a long time, like McCarthy had nothing to with that? The arrow is pointing way up and hope is finally back after a decade and a half of whatever the hell Jerry and Garrett we’re doing!

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Do you not seriously see the problem with coaching here ? The stupid call to block the punt that gave the ball back to the chargers who had 4th and 20 ? Wasting all the time at the end so they have to rely on a kicker who missed an extra point and chip shot FG’s the week before to kick a 56 yarder ? We were lucky to win because the Chargers beat themselves with penalties that had 2 DT’s called back, and luckily our kicker made the 56 yarder. Stupid coaching only gets you wins against stupider teams. Just looking at the Chargers game as a win is Fool’s Gold. Some of fans are looking at the whole game picture and pointing out there were problems - basic problems - that were just stupid and will easily lose us games in the future.

Big_D

Reaction score
Do you not seriously see the problem with coaching here ? The stupid call to block the punt that gave the ball back to the chargers who had 4th and 20 ? Wasting all the time at the end so they have to rely on a kicker who missed an extra point and chip shot FG’s the week before to kick a 56 yarder ? We were lucky to win because the Chargers beat themselves with penalties that had 2 DT’s called back, and luckily our kicker made the 56 yarder. Stupid coaching only gets you wins against stupider teams. Just looking at the Chargers game as a win is Fool’s Gold. Some of fans are looking at the whole game picture and pointing out there were problems - basic problems - that were just stupid and will easily lose us games in the future.

Has nothing to do with the charger game. The team is better than it was when Garrett left. The D is better. There’s competition at every level and quality young players developing. You actually have to make the playoffs first. Super Bowl champs have more penalties than the Cowboys! lol

Fools Gold are the ones thinking we’re going to hit the lottery on the next coach. You have a team and roster finally taking shape and you’re ready to entrust Jerry with another coaching decision or another learn on the job HC! And then think that process won’t take more time on top of this one.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Has nothing to do with the charger game. The team is better than it was when Garrett left. The D is better. There’s competition at every level and quality young players developing. You actually have to make the playoffs first. Super Bowl champs have more penalties than the Cowboys! lol

Fools Gold are the ones thinking we’re going to hit the lottery on the next coach. You have a team and roster finally taking shape and you’re ready to entrust Jerry with another coaching decision or another learn on the job HC! And then think that process won’t take more time on top of this one.

Well, total agreement we are way better shape than with Garrett. Time will tell if McCarthy and Fassell coaching calls work out or cost us.

Big_D

Reaction score
Well, total agreement we are way better shape than with Garrett. Time will tell if McCarthy and Fassell coaching calls work out or cost us.

Am I thrilled with game management? No! But I definitely feel the overall team has made dramatic improvements in a short span. We’ll see how that plays out. But I see a young team heading in very good direction!

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Am I thrilled with game management? No! But I definitely feel the overall team has made dramatic improvements in a short span. We’ll see how that plays out. But I see a young team heading in very good direction!

I definitely agree with your overall assessment. Just last year we were a dumpster fire but offense looks good, defense way improved, and Special Teams weaker but they did make a 56 yarder to win a game we had to have. To steal a lyric : The future’s so bright, I have to wear shades :)

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Pee-wee level Clock management

4:58 mark.
This man literally said what I been saying the past year verbatim. "We know Mike Mcarthy is a liar". Its sad that he's our coach man.and also Clark basically gave Quinn props so again, like I been saying.......Quinn is the only hope for us same way Capers was the only hope for hus success in GB. Scust. We needed a Mike Tomlin here

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Big Mike may not be "the answer to Bill Belichek" but at least, he's better than JG . . .:grin:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He’s just keeping the seat warm for Kellen “The Hammer” Moore, our next head coach!

Yikes. I'm content to keep him where he is right now! The switch to HC could easily be a perilous one to navigate. :eek:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Do people seriously not see a better team here? So quick to want a new coach when the direction of the roster looks a million times better than it has in a long time, like McCarthy had nothing to with that? The arrow is pointing way up and hope is finally back after a decade and a half of whatever the hell Jerry and Garrett we’re doing!

True. We're too quick on the trigger to shoot down folks who are trying to adjust to the team. MM needs more time to prove himself. o_O