McCarthy is not the right head coach for the Cowboys

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Very interesting article. It goes into great detail about McCarthy's blunders and honestly it makes a great case for him getting fired after this season. Some of what I read was shocking. Since 2021, the Cowboys have committed a total of 300 penalties, the most in the league??? What the heck?

"On Monday night, they looked extremely unorganized. They couldn’t get the right amount of players on defense (sometimes 12, sometimes 10). They had to burn timeouts three different times because they weren’t ready. And they even called off using pre-snap motion to prevent even more pre-snap penalties" The examples and videos of stupid in game decisions is frankly quite scary.

I was on the fence with McCarthy but after ready this article it's clear that nothing short of a championship he should be gone. Especially after watching the videos. I mean, some of this stuff is Football 101 and he messed them up.

5 reasons why Mike McCarthy is not the right head coach for the Cowboys​

The conversation around Mike McCarthy never ends.

By Dan Rogers Oct 21, 2023

A Super Bowl-winning coach.

Back-to-back 12-win seasons for the first time in 23 years.

Sitting with a 4-2 record.

When you take a step back, the track record of Mike McCarthy looks pretty good. He has a Lombardi Trophy on his résumé and the Dallas Cowboys are winning games. What more can you ask for?

Answer: Another Lombardi Trophy

Winning football games is great and the Cowboys do win. Despite their Super Bowl drought, they are still top 10 in winning percentage over the last 20 years. The team has had plenty of regular-season success, but for some reason can’t seem to make any noise in the postseason. McCarthy was supposed to be the answer to correct that. This is his fourth season as the Cowboys head coach, and despite having some degree of success, there still seems to be a lot of uncertainty about his future in Dallas. If the Cowboys once again fail to get past the divisional round, should the McCarthy experiment be over?

Results speak volumes, but there are also some other factors that could end up sending McCarthy over the ledge. We have identified five pieces of evidence that suggest he is not a very good coach which ultimately could lead to his departure in 2024.

REASON 1: THE GREEN BAY IMPROVEMENT
REASON 2: THE FIRST-YEAR CATASTROPHE
REASON 3: LACKING PREPARATION
REASON 4: INEPT PLAY-CALLING
REASON 5: IN-GAME DECISIONS

It’s rather evident that McCarthy is not doing a lot of things right as a coach. You might be able to make a case against one thing or another, but this collection of coaching gaffes indicates he might not be the coach he once was. The Cowboys hired McCarthy hoping he’d bring some of that past glory to Dallas, but it’s not looking so good and this could end up being the last season we see McCarthy coaching the Cowboys.

Read much much more: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...coach-penalties-clock-management-kellen-moore

1730101686.0.jpg
Really, we need a very strong coach.
Unfortunately, Jerry does not like them.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Very interesting article. It goes into great detail about McCarthy's blunders and honestly it makes a great case for him getting fired after this season. Some of what I read was shocking. Since 2021, the Cowboys have committed a total of 300 penalties, the most in the league??? What the heck?

"On Monday night, they looked extremely unorganized. They couldn’t get the right amount of players on defense (sometimes 12, sometimes 10). They had to burn timeouts three different times because they weren’t ready. And they even called off using pre-snap motion to prevent even more pre-snap penalties" The examples and videos of stupid in game decisions is frankly quite scary.

I was on the fence with McCarthy but after ready this article it's clear that nothing short of a championship he should be gone. Especially after watching the videos. I mean, some of this stuff is Football 101 and he messed them up.

5 reasons why Mike McCarthy is not the right head coach for the Cowboys​

The conversation around Mike McCarthy never ends.

By Dan Rogers Oct 21, 2023

A Super Bowl-winning coach.

Back-to-back 12-win seasons for the first time in 23 years.

Sitting with a 4-2 record.

When you take a step back, the track record of Mike McCarthy looks pretty good. He has a Lombardi Trophy on his résumé and the Dallas Cowboys are winning games. What more can you ask for?

Answer: Another Lombardi Trophy

Winning football games is great and the Cowboys do win. Despite their Super Bowl drought, they are still top 10 in winning percentage over the last 20 years. The team has had plenty of regular-season success, but for some reason can’t seem to make any noise in the postseason. McCarthy was supposed to be the answer to correct that. This is his fourth season as the Cowboys head coach, and despite having some degree of success, there still seems to be a lot of uncertainty about his future in Dallas. If the Cowboys once again fail to get past the divisional round, should the McCarthy experiment be over?

Results speak volumes, but there are also some other factors that could end up sending McCarthy over the ledge. We have identified five pieces of evidence that suggest he is not a very good coach which ultimately could lead to his departure in 2024.

REASON 1: THE GREEN BAY IMPROVEMENT
REASON 2: THE FIRST-YEAR CATASTROPHE
REASON 3: LACKING PREPARATION
REASON 4: INEPT PLAY-CALLING
REASON 5: IN-GAME DECISIONS

It’s rather evident that McCarthy is not doing a lot of things right as a coach. You might be able to make a case against one thing or another, but this collection of coaching gaffes indicates he might not be the coach he once was. The Cowboys hired McCarthy hoping he’d bring some of that past glory to Dallas, but it’s not looking so good and this could end up being the last season we see McCarthy coaching the Cowboys.

Read much much more: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...coach-penalties-clock-management-kellen-moore

1730101686.0.jpg
Let me remind everyone here, that Jerry hired and kept Garrett here as HC for 9.5 seasons.
This is not the GM I trust to hire the right HC for this team.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'm just saying Dan Quinn is being a little overrated right now I don't see what he can do here that Mike McCarthy isn't doing right now I mean I'm watching Dan Quinn side of the ball make just as many mental errors have just as much responsibilities in the two losses and if we look at his head coaching stint with the Falcons he blew a lot of games which by the way do you remember last year the two big leads with the Jaguars and the Packers and add in all the games that he can't stop the run that's all rearing its ugly head again this year... So the assumption he just gets the head coaching job seamlessly to me is ridiculous just break it all up all new coaches 100% maybe even a new quarterback if you wanna purge you go full purge if not you literally need to stick with Mike McCarthy and Prescott and and roll with it until the windows fully sealed shut... No sense removing one or two pieces I mean that's like opening up two boxes of puzzles and trying to use some puzzle pieces from another another puzzle doesn't work we've seen that around here too much..
I don't disagree, but there are many supporters of Quinn in house.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Yeah, that's been my single worry. In any case, if we get beaten by San Fran again, you know someone has to be the scapegoat. I want to see what he does after the bye, though. If we win a good amount of those games after the schedule, I may change my opinion on McCarthy.

I fear he's in over his head.

quickccc

Reaction score
I will say this. McCarthy got what he wanted this season. They sent Moore away and gave Mike full control. And the issues speak for themselves. He was given ‘enough rope to hang himself’ as the saying goes, and thus far he’s doing exactly that.
- McCarthy takes over the offense and he's really watered down and restricted this offense to " dink n dunk "
- We trade for one of the speedy big play WRs in the NFL, yet we try to make him a possession WR instead
- We have one of the speedy, big splash RBs in Pollard, yet he's been made into a ball control bell cow instead
- McCarthy instead of bringing out best in Dak, he's clearly playing " scared" of his starting QB who the Jones
management are infatuated with- that's not gonna go well with the Jones.
- No creativity, misdirection, pre-snap motion, no rub routes, bunch formation - it's a hard watch
and definitely uninspiring.
- Much of what we're experiencing is what doomed Mac in Green Bay.

InDakEyeBack

Reaction score
Jerry wants someone he can control. It's hard to find a good coach that wants to be Jerrah's whipping boy.

CCBoy

Reaction score

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm not seeing what point you're trying to make, how does that relate to my post that Jerry wants a whipping boy?
It shows exactly that success long termed depends upon the Head Coach...not JERRY! He needs trust, but tries to fill that and use loyalty as well.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
The Cowboys haven’t had the right head coach since Jimmy left.
To be fair, it's hard not to wonder what Parcells could have done with that first Wade Phillips team if he wouldn't have quit during the offseason.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
To be fair, it's hard not to wonder what Parcells could have done with that first Wade Phillips team if he wouldn't have quit during the offseason.
In an interview with Parcells, he even wondered that. I’ll guarantee no one would’ve gone to Cabo before that playoff game. :thumbup:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
McCarthy got exposed big time once he finally had to do some actual coaching. I just hope they interview multiple real candidates and not just 1 and done as usual.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't disagree, but there are many supporters of Quinn in house.
Yeah but that's what they make you think now but after watching a lot of these games if they really reassess what's happened over the last couple of years the defense is also part of the problem there is inconsistent as the offense...

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah but that's what they make you think now but after watching a lot of these games if they really reassess what's happened over the last couple of years the defense is also part of the problem there is inconsistent as the offense...
I agree, but the majority of fans give the Defense a free pass, it's always Dak isn't good enough.

gtb1943

Reaction score
McCarthy got exposed big time once he finally had to do some actual coaching. I just hope they interview multiple real candidates and not just 1 and done as usual.
The reality is in the NFL that HC's are hired that the Owner and GM feel comfortable with. Its Human Nature.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
No way, I thought he was going to fix the gimp glitcher. Now he's a problem. No way.