Twitter: McCarthy: Lawrence a couple of weeks away

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Much as I love my team, I do not want it to be screwing guys over.. In fact if the team develops a reputation for doing that then what do you think will happen to it as a free agent destination? How long before high draft picks refuse to sign with us because of that reputation? You don't wanna be that team! Taking care of its players is good for the team for a number of reasons.. Not the least of which is keeping good players helps you win. I liken it to blind patriotism.. We all love America.. but don't we love it a little less when we find out some of the atrocities committed in her name in various stops around the world? Sometimes to our own soldiers? Okay .. leaving politics immediately.

Basically what I'm saying is that loyalty is a two way street. You don't show none you don't git none. The Joneses demonstrated with Murray that they would run a running back into the ground then discard him. Zeke was smart not to let them do that to him. With Lawrence they told him to "prove it and we'll get a deal done" and after he proved it they wanted to tag him and say "prove it" again. IMHO they played dirty.. so he played dirty too. If they didn't think he was worth the money they had every opportunity to let him sign elsewhere. The bottom line is that when healthy he's one of the 5 best in the league at his position. But's had one fluke injury bite him after the other the last three years. Sucks for him and sucks for us.. But it doesn't make me dislike him .. Just make me anxious to get him back in the lineup.
Fair enough man. I get your perspective. And I agree — I hope Lawrence comes back soon and wrecks some offenses. The Cowboys are better if he’s playing.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Dude making $21 mill staying up all night on his Playstation.

And posters think he is gong to hurry back:laugh:

Lawrence has a wife and three lil kids.. Aint a lotta time for playstation with all that going on. My guess is he can't wait to get the hell outta there! LOL.. All that crying and diapers and what not has to be driving him nuts!! Plus Britt Brown has a reputation for making sure guys hate rehabbing a LOT more than regular practice.. LOL!

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I don't understand disliking players for trying to get their fair market value when we have seen owners do anything and everything in their power to pay guys as little as possible and will not hesitate to dump a guy if he doesn't perform up to expectations but never step in a tear up a guy's contract when he outperforms it. When the owner scrooges and uses his leverage in negotiations "it's business." When the player tries to use his leverage in negotiations "he's selfish." GTFOH. It's business for both sides.. I agree with you that Lawrence is one of the highest effort guys on the team.. Hell in the entire league. No way in hell he's out there doggin it or sitting out with fake injuries now that he got paid. I don't know how people come up with these narratives..

He delayed getting surgery until the team gave him a new contract. You cant play that card and call yourself a "team first" guy.

So its understandable a lot of posters question just how committed he is to the team or if he is just happy collecting checks.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He delayed getting surgery until the team gave him a new contract. You cant play that card and call yourself a "team first" guy.

So its understandable a lot of posters question just how committed he is to the team or if he is just happy collecting checks.

The team forced his hand WRT the surgery because they tagged him a second time which violated their handshake agreement from the previous year. Lawrence held up his end by playing on the tag quietly and ballin out. Fans can be okay with the team screwing dudes over but if you do that enough it will bite you in the ***. In the long run that practice doesn't work out.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If you want to see a motivated D Flaw you would need to get in a time machine and transport yourself back to his contract year.

cristglo

Reaction score
Seems like McCarthy has been saying Lawrence is a couple of weeks away for the last few weeks!! Eventually he's going to get it right!! :laugh:

Thats the same thing I was thinking Gallimore has turned into a long 6 week recovery also

cristglo

Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if all our Def starters will ever play together this year. Sure need them all healthy if we're gonna make this run. Each week it's another two weeks ?????
Yes, I DONT want them to come back too soon but dang!!!!
Get Well Guys Quick LOL

quickccc

Reaction score
Is it me or has he been saying that for three weeks?

Not just McCarthy ... but i tend to hear Jerry... Stephen ... multiple media guys .... etc.

.. " they are getting closer and closer " .

..." they should be back very soon "

...we should be getting so & so back "

... it's just right around the corner " ..

" . this person is practicing and looking well " ...

quickccc

Reaction score
Certainly not. Jaylon was a liability.

I hope so, although I do think this will be his final season in Dallas.

Dlaw has always been hitting the injury bride for years now. .. back, shoulder, knee, and now the freak foot break
It's gotten to a point that i always anticipate some injury hit and limitations with him.
He's gonna be injured at some point.

i do wonder if upper management is pondering future and ultimate decisions with him.
If inside the Star, they are not getting what they expected outta him since they re-signed him as one of the highest paid defensive players in NFL history.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dlaw has always been hitting the injury bride for years now. .. back, shoulder, knee, and now the freak foot break
It's gotten to a point that i always anticipate some injury hit and limitations with him.
He's gonna be injured at some point.

i do wonder if upper management is pondering future and ultimate decisions with him.
If inside the Star, they are not getting what they expected outta him since they re-signed him as one of the highest paid defensive players in NFL history.

The team certainly needs to free up cap room in 2022. And they would have to consider gaining some by getting out of what is arguably their worst return on investment right now.

If they have any chance of keeping Gregory, I think they have to get Lawrence’s deal off the books.

quickccc

Reaction score
The team certainly needs to free up cap room in 2022. And they would have to consider gaining some by getting out of what is arguably their worst return on investment right now.

If they have any chance of keeping Gregory, I think they have to get Lawrence’s deal off the books.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/demarcus-lawrence-14443/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Even if they chose to opt out from Dlaw's contract, as there's an escape clause in 2022, that would allow them to do so... looks like it will still be a 19M cap hit.

But if they don't opt out and choose to finish out his contract, Cowboys may decide to do with Dlaw, ..the same way they choose with Tyron Smith, ..and even Tyrone Crawford.
Squeeze every remaining juice outta their contracts rather than opting out.

Batman1980

Reaction score

Not off the books, restructure and extend it. Make it incentive-laden with built-in boosters for sacks and forced fumbles.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/demarcus-lawrence-14443/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Even if they chose to opt out from Dlaw's contract, as there's an escape clause in 2022, that would allow them to do so... looks like it will still be a 19M cap hit.

But if they don't opt out and choose to finish out his contract, Cowboys may decide to do with Dlaw, ..the same way they choose with Tyron Smith, ..and even Tyrone Crawford.
Squeeze every remaining juice outta their contracts rather than opting out.

And be stuck paying a premium for injured players and declining (or nonexistent) play. Better to rip the bandaid off.

Aven8

Reaction score
As I stated yesterday Dlaw is at the 8 week mark. But Gally is at 13 weeks since his injury. I heard Mike say that because he plays inside his injury is trickier but this is getting ridiculous. If we’re holding them out to the stretch run their may not be one.

I could actually see us at 6-4-6-5 by NO.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Lawrence is one of the hardest effort players on the team. When he's out there, it's clear to see. He fights for everything he gets. He worked hard to shape his body after entering the league and uses great technique to overcome shortcomings in physical ability.

Some may not like him because he's overpaid. Some may not like him because of the Hot Boyz thing, but questioning his drive makes me question a fan's judgment. Effort is one of the top things he's got.

Here's a video link for those who seem to need a reminder:

The same drive that told JJ he wasn't getting surgery until he gets paid? The guy has a drive for money....period.