Twitter: McCarthy: Lawrence a couple of weeks away

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I really don’t think Lawrence has the heart to be great. I think it’s a job for him. The Cowboys need to move on as soon as possible.

That may be one of the stupidest things I've read here, and that's saying a lot.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That may be one of the stupidest things I've read here, and that's saying a lot.

Why? Give me tactical, non-emotional reasons as to why you think he’s wrong.

Do you think Lawrence has the drive to be great? And if so, what have you seen from Lawrence, on the field or off, to make you believe that?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Why? Give me tactical, non-emotional reasons as to why you think he’s wrong.

Do you think Lawrence has the drive to be great? And if so, what have you seen from Lawrence, on the field or off, to make you believe that?

Lawrence is one of the hardest effort players on the team. When he's out there, it's clear to see. He fights for everything he gets. He worked hard to shape his body after entering the league and uses great technique to overcome shortcomings in physical ability.

Some may not like him because he's overpaid. Some may not like him because of the Hot Boyz thing, but questioning his drive makes me question a fan's judgment. Effort is one of the top things he's got.

Here's a video link for those who seem to need a reminder:

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lawrence is one of the hardest effort players on the team. When he's out there, it's clear to see. He fights for everything he gets. He worked hard to shape his body after entering the league and uses great technique to overcome shortcomings in physical ability.

Some may not like him because he's overpaid. Some may not like him because of the Hot Boyz thing, but questioning his drive makes me question a fan's judgment. Effort is one of the top things he's got.

Here's a video for those who seem to need a reminder:

fair enough, man. Appreciate you taking the time to explain your thoughts.

I don’t fully disagree with you. He does give effort, when he wants to. I just think he coasts unless it’d individually benefit him to go all-out (such as, say, during a contract year). He’s a me-first kind of player, just like Jaylon was. He SAYS all the right things, but team success is secondary to personal brand recognition and stardom.

I’ll admit, the power struggle games he’s played with the FO as well as his contract and Hotboyz BS does play into my dislike for the guy. I feel that if he truly wanted to, he could be a perennial 12+ sack/year guy. And that is the root of my frustration with the player

gimmesix

Reaction score
fair enough, man. Appreciate you taking the time to explain your thoughts.

I don’t fully disagree with you. He does give effort, when he wants to. I just think he coasts unless it’d individually benefit him to go all-out (such as, say, during a contract year). He’s a me-first kind of player, just like Jaylon was. He SAYS all the right things, but team success is secondary to personal brand recognition and stardom.

I’ll admit, the power struggle games he’s played with the FO as well as his contract and Hotboyz BS does play into my dislike for the guy. I feel that if he truly wanted to, he could be a perennial 12+ sack/year guy. And that is the root of my frustration with the player

Maybe. I don't see him coasting. I think he puts so much into every play that he's on the field that he has to be rested. The branding thing is fair, though.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Maybe. I don't see him coasting. I think he puts so much into every play that he's on the field that he has to be rested. The branding thing is fair, though.

I don't understand disliking players for trying to get their fair market value when we have seen owners do anything and everything in their power to pay guys as little as possible and will not hesitate to dump a guy if he doesn't perform up to expectations but never step in a tear up a guy's contract when he outperforms it. When the owner scrooges and uses his leverage in negotiations "it's business." When the player tries to use his leverage in negotiations "he's selfish." GTFOH. It's business for both sides.. I agree with you that Lawrence is one of the highest effort guys on the team.. Hell in the entire league. No way in hell he's out there doggin it or sitting out with fake injuries now that he got paid. I don't know how people come up with these narratives..

gimmesix

Reaction score
I don't understand disliking players for trying to get their fair market value when we have seen owners do anything and everything in their power to pay guys as little as possible and will not hesitate to dump a guy if he doesn't perform up to expectations but never step in a tear up a guy's contract when he outperforms it. When the owner scrooges and uses his leverage in negotiations "it's business." When the player tries to use his leverage in negotiations "he's selfish." GTFOH. It's business for both sides.. I agree with you that Lawrence is one of the highest effort guys on the team.. Hell in the entire league. No way in hell he's out there doggin it or sitting out with fake injuries now that he got paid. I don't know how people come up with these narratives..

It's understandable, but it's also easy to see why some find it annoying. We love the game for the game and we want players to be the same way. But the business side is just as important, if not more so, to them because it is how they make their money.

We get mad when someone like Elliott holds out when he's trying to maximize his earnings before he runs into that wall and his career is over. We get mad at Lawrence for leveraging his contract with surgery when most of us never have to go through one risky surgery in our lives in order to continue our careers.

I don't get caught up in contracts, marketing, etc., because that stuff doesn't matter to me. All that matters to me is what they do on the field, and Lawrence has been one of our best players, and definitely our best defensive player, for years. I hate that he broke a bone and has had to miss out on probably his best opportunity to play in a more balanced defense talentwise, and I look forward to getting him back and seeing what he can do in it.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

ummm, I’m a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, not any one player. I want the TEAM to do well. I couldn’t care less what names are on the jerseys. Players come and go.

My fandom doesn’t account for the human element. I’m perfectly within my right to not care about that. I watch football to be entertained, not to make sure that player A gets his money.

I put team-interests over those of any individual — especially an individual who has drastically underperformed after signing the big contract. If a player metaphorically holds my favorite team hostage to force his wants to be met, yeah, I’m not going to like it.

Lawrence, Zeke during his holdout, etc.

The concept really isn’t that difficult.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's understandable, but it's also easy to see why some find it annoying. We love the game for the game and we want players to be the same way. But the business side is just as important, if not more so, to them because it is how they make their money.

We get mad when someone like Elliott holds out when he's trying to maximize his earnings before he runs into that wall and his career is over. We get mad at Lawrence for leveraging his contract with surgery when most of us never have to go through one risky surgery in our lives in order to continue our careers.

I don't get caught up in contracts, marketing, etc., because that stuff doesn't matter to me. All that matters to me is what they do on the field, and Lawrence has been one of our best players, and definitely our best defensive player, for years. I hate that he broke a bone and has had to miss out on probably his best opportunity to play in a more balanced defense talentwise, and I look forward to getting him back and seeing what he can do in it.
Well said.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It’s probably nothing, but part of me wonders if they keep Lawrence out because they’re afraid he gets hurt again and they can’t release him in the offseason if he can’t pass a physical? A long shot hypotheses admittedly, but after what the team went through with Jaylon? I don’t rule anything out.
DLaw isn't the waste of space Jaylon was. I'm sure he'll be back in the moment they feel he's healthy enough.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
ummm, I’m a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, not any one player. I want the TEAM to do well. I couldn’t care less what names are on the jerseys. Players come and go.

My fandom doesn’t account for the human element. I’m perfectly within my right to not care about that. I watch football to be entertained, not to make sure that player A gets his money.

I put team-interests over those of any individual — especially an individual who has drastically underperformed after signing the big contract. If a player metaphorically holds my favorite team hostage to force his wants to be met, yeah, I’m not going to like it.

Lawrence, Zeke during his holdout, etc.

The concept really isn’t that difficult.

Much as I love my team, I do not want it to be screwing guys over.. In fact if the team develops a reputation for doing that then what do you think will happen to it as a free agent destination? How long before high draft picks refuse to sign with us because of that reputation? You don't wanna be that team! Taking care of its players is good for the team for a number of reasons.. Not the least of which is keeping good players helps you win. I liken it to blind patriotism.. We all love America.. but don't we love it a little less when we find out some of the atrocities committed in her name in various stops around the world? Sometimes to our own soldiers? Okay .. leaving politics immediately.

Basically what I'm saying is that loyalty is a two way street. You don't show none you don't git none. The Joneses demonstrated with Murray that they would run a running back into the ground then discard him. Zeke was smart not to let them do that to him. With Lawrence they told him to "prove it and we'll get a deal done" and after he proved it they wanted to tag him and say "prove it" again. IMHO they played dirty.. so he played dirty too. If they didn't think he was worth the money they had every opportunity to let him sign elsewhere. The bottom line is that when healthy he's one of the 5 best in the league at his position. But's had one fluke injury bite him after the other the last three years. Sucks for him and sucks for us.. But it doesn't make me dislike him .. Just make me anxious to get him back in the lineup.

tcain2004

Reaction score
The depth is better than recent years, but losing our best rusher along with the guy who stops the opponents best rusher may be a bit too much to overcome.

I'm hoping to split the four games before the ten day break then hopefully get hot as we get some players back.

tyron going down every year. He will never be healthy just face it. Team screwed up by not drafting a replacement