McCarthy must have a very good plan

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Nobody liked the performances in recent years of Byron, Witten, Heath and Maliek. Now that they are gone and signed to other teams, people are worrying?

I have faith in new head coach Mike McCarthy and his new but very proven coaching assistants.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If Dallas fortifies the defense well enough with some quality acquisitions, we'll be considerably better off this year. I'm liking what I've seen so far. A pair of good secondary defenders early in the draft should bolster the d-backfield. A quality DT to add via the draft should help us immensely. Hopefully, Luke Gifford will step up, stay healthy and shine this year at LB. With a few good breaks going our way, we should compete very admirably -- take heart.

Last edited:

BigD_95

Reaction score
With who we've let go and the restructuring of some key players, McCarthy must have a great plan in mind on how he's gonna put this team together. Is he planning for this year to make a run or is he looking at next year?

Well he said he wanted to have Cobb & Quinn back so I think he might be onto plan B

Rayman70

Reaction score
another high production guy is Derek Wolfe. He's still out there. I doubt we do that though. The guy is a run stuffing machine. But he is 30. I rather focus on the draft now that we signed McCoy. Only other move I would make is I would sign a linebacker and Chris Harris.

SSoup

Reaction score
The offense is mostly set now. A #3 WR, a backup OL. Maybe another TE option if there are any we like in the draft (I suspect part of the reason we paid Jarwin real money, though, is because we took a look and decided there's no gold to mine there this year). Shake the trees for a veteran backup QB option after the draft when teams have already locked in on their new rookie QBs and their new free agent QBs. But that's about it, I suspect. Plus a flood of undrafted guys at each position, hoping to stumble onto a winning lottery ticket.

The rest of our resources, I think, go to the defense. That's probably most of our remaining free agent money (minus the money for a kicker). And perhaps 3 of our top 4, or 4 of our top 5 draft picks. I really think we're going defense-heavy in the draft. Which might mean a bunch of defensive draft picks or it might mean another stab or two at trades we hope pan out like the Robert Quinn one did last year.

(And I hope we're geared up to pay special attention to the undrafted rookie class this year, too, by the way. The pandemic business shutting down Pro Days and in-person visits and workouts is gonna lead to this being a year where so many guys who ought to be drafted in a normal year will fall through the cracks just because they were denied the visit or the in-person chance to impress and earn their way into the draft. So I hope we're ready to scoop up undrafted guys this year and find the gems.)

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
With Mr. State Farm he can cover up some warts for you in GB but you will need to hit on your drafts picks and depend on rookies.

blueblood70

Reaction score
There is no next year. It's always this year. The entire staff has poured over all the information they can find about the roster. They know crystal clear who they want and who they don't. And they are not going to overpay for talent.

Case in point - Randall Cobb. We already know McCarthy likes to draft WR's on day 2. It seems pretty clear the Cowboys think they can draft a WR this year (deep pool of talent) who can replace Cobb so why overpay for Cobb when they can have the rookie considerably cheaper?
then why over pay Cooper? I rather have kept cobb and found Coops replacement in the draft and use the money for defense..

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I wish we didn't have Rush as our backup. Should Dak go down, say goodbye to the season. I feel as though McCarthy is aware of that situation, but his hands are tied.

This, said so much in another thread yesterday, we would be playing for a possible top 5 pick if Rush plays for any length of time.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think hes putting together a plan to make a run in a couple years but be competitive at the same time. I dont see Dallas in win now mode like most people think. He got a 5 year contract for a reason.

LOL...…….He got a 5 year contract so he could win in year 5?

McCarthy is trying to win it all THIS year. That isn't even a question. The question is will that be realistic or not?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Then they're delusional, as they've been for some time. They had an 8-8 team and it now has less talent. I don't know what grand plan they're going to put together on defense when they're putting so much of the cap on offense (again). Same approach, new coach.

People are convincing themselves that McCarthy is God's gift to coaching who is going to work miracles. Hope isn't a strategy.

They didn't have an 8-8 team. They had Garrett and Marinelli. Coaching was the #1 problem. Now we are getting rid of all the scrubs that were the problem on the field and replacing them as we go here.

Are you saying that going from Garrett to McCarthy and these new coaches isn't worth at least 2 wins?

Afraid of losing guys like Heath and Collins? LOL

McCarthy alone will make better use of the weapons we do have like Jarwin and Pollard.

What were you some kind of Garrett lover? LOL

Coaching matters big time in Football. If you don't understand that, then you just don't get it.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
With who we've let go and the restructuring of some key players, McCarthy must have a great plan in mind on how he's gonna put this team together. Is he planning for this year to make a run or is he looking at next year?

Stop placing meaning on the restructures.

Those deals are designed for automatic restructuring.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
No plan. #seatofhispants