McCarthy must have a very good plan

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
LOL...…….He got a 5 year contract so he could win in year 5?

McCarthy is trying to win it all THIS year. That isn't even a question. The question is will that be realistic or not?

No he got a 5 year contract to make changes and make it happen in next few years not right year one.

Dreski

Reaction score
With who we've let go and the restructuring of some key players, McCarthy must have a great plan in mind on how he's gonna put this team together. Is he planning for this year to make a run or is he looking at next year?
I do think the staff has a plan. With this new staff, I really hope that we are going to put more emphasis on DT and safety. Having Marinelli gone is a blessing (we aren’t trying to get the next Warren Sapp or bust)

What is promising, to me, is that Tomsula as a Defensive Line coach help put out a pretty good D-Line in San Fran as well as in Washington. George Edwards during his time as a defensive coordinator has had some pretty good defensive lines as well(and safeties!) so I’m hoping they have similar results here(we will need the talent ofc)

We might not be out there being splashy in free agency, but I’m sure they have a direction they want to go.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
With who we've let go and the restructuring of some key players, McCarthy must have a great plan in mind on how he's gonna put this team together. Is he planning for this year to make a run or is he looking at next year?

he’s not the GM.

it’s all Jerry, Stephen, and Will.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I do think the staff has a plan. With this new staff, I really hope that we are going to put more emphasis on DT and safety. Having Marinelli gone is a blessing (we aren’t trying to get the next Warren Sapp or bust)

What is promising, to me, is that Tomsula as a Defensive Line coach help put out a pretty good D-Line in San Fran as well as in Washington. George Edwards during his time as a defensive coordinator has had some pretty good defensive lines as well(and safeties!) so I’m hoping they have similar results here(we will need the talent ofc)

We might not be out there being splashy in free agency, but I’m sure they have a direction they want to go.

Nolan is the DC.

Marinelli and Nolan both use BBDB.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
There is no next year. It's always this year. The entire staff has poured over all the information they can find about the roster. They know crystal clear who they want and who they don't. And they are not going to overpay for talent.

Case in point - Randall Cobb. We already know McCarthy likes to draft WR's on day 2. It seems pretty clear the Cowboys think they can draft a WR this year (deep pool of talent) who can replace Cobb so why overpay for Cobb when they can have the rookie considerably cheaper?

I liked Cobb, so I hope they draft a good one to replace him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

On personnel, I can't see us adding much more on offense. The big add should be a fully healthy Frederick and a stronger and a stronger Pollard. Likely much better use of what we have than last year too. Whether it was Garrett or Moore, we weren't using our guys right. McCarthy should bring more strategic sense to the offense, while I trust Moore to come up with the play concepts.

nobody

Reaction score
MM and his offense will be just fine. The bigger question is what the heck is Mike Nolan going to do with the defense b/c its not looking good personnel wise. ........

The defense didn't look good before with the personnel it had. Yeah, they lost competent players, but all teams do. We just have to see what they do to replace them..A simple scheme change should help some and get way from what clearly wasn't working.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Kinda why I think its worth looking at what they can get for Tyron now. A second round pick would be great. We need to get younger and healthier on the Oline.
Totally agree! At the end of every season his back flares up and he isnt the same player.

Dreski

Reaction score
Nolan is the DC.

Marinelli and Nolan both use BBDB.
Nolan is a big question mark for sure. His last stop as DC wasn’t great, but he did do well as a line backers coach in NO. I think having George Edwards as a defensive assistant makes me feel better. Mike Zimmer gave George a lot of credit and he’s coached some really good defenses in Minnesota.

I think Nolan will do better than when he was in Atlanta, because his assistants and talent are better(we do badly need to get a replacement for Byron, and figure out safety, DT and DE though)

Carter

Reaction score
The way we operate so far looks like a Defense Only Draft thats for sure

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
On personnel, I can't see us adding much more on offense. The big add should be a fully healthy Frederick and a stronger and a stronger Pollard. Likely much better use of what we have than last year too. Whether it was Garrett or Moore, we weren't using our guys right. McCarthy should bring more strategic sense to the offense, while I trust Moore to come up with the play concepts.
Don't forget the hidden X factor... Olawale.

ESisback

Reaction score
IMO, they’re a lot closer than many think. Heck, they could have won a couple of more games in 2019 had they had better ST play. If they fix the DL and ST....

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I am trying to be positive but not fanatical.

Having seen several HC changes such as Campo, Gailey, Parcells, Phillips, Johnson, etc..

it usually takes a season or so to see progress.

But we have a good roster to begin with so not sure how the roster reacts.

The fans need to be patient and realistic.

We shall see..we shall see.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Don't forget the hidden X factor... Olawale.

I've been hoping for that Olawale X factor since the season he arrived. Wanted to go 20 personnel as our base offense in 2018, when we only had a JV TE squad. For whatever reason, they refused to use him. Then again in 2019, when he had the company of Devin Smith as another guy the offense inexplicably refused to use.

Maybe it was Garrett. Maybe Moore. Maybe there is something wrong with both guys that we don't know about. Sure would be encouraging sign on McCarthy if we started to make the most of the players we've got.

kuyyo_morro

Reaction score
Let the season start, we will start clamoring to bring Jason Garrett back. Mcarthy is a Rod Marinelli clone without Aaron Rodgers.

Wood

Reaction score

I think McCarthy is just happy to have HC job again. How much influence he has is unknown. This looks more like Jerry/Stephen trying to maximize the margins. I think they need to go after bigger fish in FA to be legit.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too much to expect that we make a valid run with so many changes this year. I think we win more than last year, assuming no key position injuries . Competitive this year, I hope, but I look to next year for serious roster improvement. Not saying it isn't possible this year, but they can't sacrifice the cap and expect to gain ground.

nobody

Reaction score
Nobody liked the performances in recent years of Byron, Witten, Heath and Maliek. Now that they are gone and signed to other teams, people are worrying?

I have faith in new head coach Mike McCarthy and his new but very proven coaching assistants.

That's not true about Byron. Several people realized that while his lack of interceptions wasn't good, he pretty much shut down quite while his side of the field. Now that he went elsewhere, watch his production rise. The others leaving? Meh.

Being a CB is more than interceptions.