McCarthy on Lance: He's close to being a master of the system

RoboQB

Reaction score
The reason that Dak will play this season is 1) They are paying him and he can't be traded. 2) If Lance lights it up, then he would be would be due for a larger salary than he would if he was 2nd string all year.
Lance gets $5.3M for 2024. That's more than at least two playoff QBs last season. Plenty for a one year "prove it" starting QB.
If Dallas wanted to trade Dak, a simple benching would open up trade talks. He will waive the NTC. If not, oh well,
they're both on the books whether the play or not.
The Raiders benched Derek Carr with two games to go two seasons ago. Last year, Denver sat Russell Wilson.
I know they weren't traded but teams didn't have a problem benching $100M-$200M QBs. So benching Dak wouldn't be any different.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
The reason that Dak will play this season is 1) They are paying him and he can't be traded. 2) If Lance lights it up, then he would be would be due for a larger salary than he would if he was 2nd string all year.
But he stills needs to play to light it up. So how does that happen? The only way I see it is if Dak doesn’t get his extension, and the team implodes, or he gets hurt.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Where will Trey Lance line up if Dak Prescott gets injured?
Depends on what Trey Lance shows during the preseason and if he's still on the team if Dak is extended before the regular season starts. If Dak is extended before the regular season starts, Lance may request a trade to another team which would help the Cowboys secure a mid-round draft pick. If Dak is not extended until after the regular season starts, Lance will determine with his preseason performance whether he will move up to 2nd string over Cooper Rush or remain as 3rd string QB.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Depends on what Trey Lance shows during the preseason and if he's still on the team if Dak is extended before the regular season starts. If Dak is extended before the regular season starts, Lance may request a trade to another team which would help the Cowboys secure a mid-round draft pick. If Dak is not extended until after the regular season starts, Lance will determine with his preseason performance whether he will move up to 2nd string over Cooper Rush or remain as 3rd string QB.
Our cap is jacked.

Nobody is getting a contract extension.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The cap is around 15 million in the red.

They have to get in the black before week 1.

Someone getting a post June 1 cut.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Lance has zero trade value. Dak will refuse any notion of a trade and opt for free agency, only. Rush, if he makes the 53 man roster, knows this is his last season associated with the NFL as a player. Jerry Jones will be paying better than $20 million per season for Justin Fields to be the Cowboys quarterback in 2025. This is the Cowboys’ reality.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Lance has zero trade value. Dak will refuse any notion of a trade and opt for free agency, only. Rush, if he makes the 53 man roster, knows this is his last season associated with the NFL as a player. Jerry Jones will be paying better than $20 million per season for Justin Fields to be the Cowboys quarterback in 2025. This is the Cowboys’ reality.
Why would you want to trade away a top 6 overall QB?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Why would you want to trade away a top 6 overall QB?
The lack of commitment the Cowboys have shown Dak Prescott will result in his looking elsewhere to continue his playing career. He’s been around long enough to understand the business side of being an NFL player. Only the Cowboys can be stupid enough to let a player of his value leave the organization sans any compensation other than a 3rd round comp pick. This kind of nonsense is how a team can’t reach a conference championship for decades. The fantasy of a quarterback, Lance, that has next to no game experience in the NFL all of a sudden being capable of quarterbacking a team to playoff wins is nonsense. That most Cowboys fans buy into that fantasy is pathetic.

plasticman

Reaction score
It would probably have been better timing if McCarthy had waited until after an impressive preseason showing by Trey Lance.

It's odd that McCarthy would put his reputation on the line like this for Trey Lance. I hope his words are justified on the field.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It would probably have been better timing if McCarthy had waited until after an impressive preseason showing by Trey Lance.

It's odd that McCarthy would put his reputation on the line like this for Trey Lance. I hope his words are justified on the field.
Unless behind the doors secret is to prop Lance up for potential preseason trade suitors?

Jfconrow

Reaction score
San Fran lets him go and in one offseason Dallas turns him into a master? I just don’t believe it. Maybe who knows.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Choo Choo!!!!

This pure BS lol.
you cant get the timing of routes down in ota's with the wr's that are there.
A real game is totally different.
We will all get to see trey in PS, I will from a opinion then.
MM is evidently under orders to pump up treys stock per jerry.

Fish says he looks good, but thats all you can say about ota stuff.
Fish also says no way is trey competing for anything but the # 2 qb position.

Mike called out Micah for not being there one day, then the next he said he wasnt taking attendance, so he got
in trouble with jerry for trying to instill a little discipline on Micah.
That is what limits the cowboys, jerry meddling, and no discipline etc.

plymkr

Reaction score
I hope it translates on the field in games
Me too. Any development from a young player is positive for the Cowboys.

I still believe there are 2 reasons why McCarthy still is our coach. 1. Jerry is cheap and didn’t want to pay him to sit. 2. In the “job interview “ I speculate McCarthy convinced Jerry he can develop Lance. I honestly don’t see how he has a job after how bad the offense played in the playoffs.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Me too. Any development from a young player is positive for the Cowboys.

I still believe there are 2 reasons why McCarthy still is our coach. 1. Jerry is cheap and didn’t want to pay him to sit. 2. In the “job interview “ I speculate McCarthy convinced Jerry he can develop Lance. I honestly don’t see how he has a job after how bad the offense played in the playoffs.
I’m not sure there was much convincing. Jerry went out of his way to credit MM with Dak’s year and development. So in Jerruhs mind he probably really believed that Trey benefits from MM sticking around. My theory is MM doesn’t lose his job at the end of the year if Treys development is successful.

plymkr

Reaction score
My theory is MM doesn’t lose his job at the end of the year if Treys development is successful.
I agree. I was thinking about this earlier. If we started out slow, like 2-7 or something or Dak got hurt and Trey showed he can play fairly well as a starter then McCarthy keeps his job. If Trey shows anything this season that is encouraging I feel Jerry will keep McCarthy, regardless of win loss record.