McCarthy on tripping penalty, second-down throw

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't mind it either. You don't play to give the other team the ball back with a minute instead of a minute forty five. That's playing not to lose. I can see the criticism if by running the ball the clock would have been under 30 seconds and no timeouts. But over a minute? A lot can happen. But if you're going to do that and fail, you can't play that soft D that bends you back into the endzone. That's my only complaint. We lost the game in Miami because of that.
Exactly. Initially I got the stance of just running clock. But I sat there and watch this team go in prevent and let them throw all over them and had over 20+ seconds left and could've had more. I did not want our defense back on the field. Take the game. If Dak is that guy take the game. And it was there. I didn't agree with the throw deep I was hoping they'd keep just attacking underneath like they had been all game. Lamb was getting whatever eh wanted.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Yeah if the intent is to kick the field goal then yeah burn clock with runs. For me personally, I didn't want to give the Lions the ball back. And that was before I knew the defense was going to go prevent and play 10 yards off receivers..I FOR SURE go for the kill knowing that.
Goff just threw a pick and the D was playing well. You play for the FG after that penalty. You’re looking at Detroit having to pass on every play with less than a minute. We all know Dallas can barely stop the run but their pass rushing is elite.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Goff just threw a pick and the D was playing well. You play for the FG after that penalty. You’re looking at Detroit having to pass on every play with less than a minute. We all know Dallas can barely stop the run but their pass rushing is elite.
Ehhh it wasn’t elite that game. I just didn’t feel confident in the defense that game and those feelings were proven true with how they just got carved up by Goff.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Of course you didn't. That's not the role of a cheerleader.

Seriously? You wouldn't rather the Lions with 45 seconds and no timeouts at the 20 yard line? You would rather what played out on Saturday?
Naw this ain't the role of a cheerleader...you're among the sheep that is just regurgitating what everyone else says because it's your norm. That's not me. In 2023 aggressiveness wins games not conservative play. I've seen 8-8 Garrett and his conservative play lose. You can't coach or play to not lose.

blueblood70

Reaction score
until we win a SB this craziness will go on. The mental gymnastics are nuts with some fans. Its extremely hard to win 12 games in this league, let alone, 3 years in a row.
Oh no my man it's an absolute miracle,

I mean with the trash head coach, a trash quarterback, a bunch of players who are all washed up and overpaid, I mean I don't know how we're surviving with this horrible group of front office people players and coaches...

according to this place you would think that we would are 5 and 12.. I think this fan base is in some serious need of some really bad years and I mean terrible terrible years seriously maybe this team does need to get rid of Prescott, Fire the coaches, start from scratch ,and be bad for the next five or six years..

so they can complain about something that's actually real when they call somebody bad washed up trashed can't coach that themselves out of a wet paper bag maybe a reality check is needed we can bring back Dave campo and we can have the greatest three or four years ever searching for players that can only get us back to what Oh yeah twelve wins in a playoff berth, you know a shot at contending every year..​

Note sarcasm note irritation off my soapbox for now...rant over!!

blueblood70

Reaction score
I completely understand McCarthy's logic. The tripping call took us out of FG range, but there is also the consideration of where Detroit gets the ball. The Tripping call saved Detroit a TO. Had Detroit had only 1 TO left on that 2nd down call, I think McCarthy absolutely runs the football to keep the clock running on second down. Then again on 3rd down. That bad Tripping call really screwed Dallas and put them in a very bad position play calling and time-wise.

While all the talk is on the 2 pt conversion, that play never happens if the Cowboys are not called for Tripping when it should have been on the Lions. The Cowboys should have had the ball on the Lions 14 with a 1st down. No penalty call would have been better. Then the Lions are forced to use their second time out and Dallas has a 2nd and 3 at the 22. If They get a first down, the game is over. They can take a knee and run out the clock. Otherwise they burn off 40+ seconds on 2nd down and another 40+ on 3rd down. Then they kick the FG leaving Detroit with only about 20 seconds to go 75 yards for a game tying TD. That is virtually impossible.
100% I know Mike McCarthy allegedly mismanages games and situational football when it comes to time management but most of the stuff that he's done around here if you think about it much deeper throw away the little book that fans media and X players might have that you're supposed to follow in these situations and think about the actual game flow how was the defense playing how was the offense playing was there certain groups on the team that are playing bad that particular game that you can't trust so the coach decides to go against the grain and do something to help protect that group because he doesn't think going by the book is gonna work and there's a lot of reasons the last couple years Mike McCarthy has done what he's done and I actually agree with most of them no they're not by the book most of us think that he's an idiot but in real time under real fire in the heat of the game with what has gone on in that game up until that point you have to know what's in his mind and why he's doing what he's doing and I believe his made the right decisions for his team in that particular game in that particular moment....

People can complain all day put the man under a microscope call him an idiot say he doesn't know what he's talking about but I believe he has a method for his madness and then he's done things that seem wrong and in my opinion they were the right call at the time whether they worked or not....

Rayman70

Reaction score
100% I know Mike McCarthy allegedly mismanages games and situational football when it comes to time management but most of the stuff that he's done around here if you think about it much deeper throw away the little book that fans media and X players might have that you're supposed to follow in these situations and think about the actual game flow how was the defense playing how was the offense playing was there certain groups on the team that are playing bad that particular game that you can't trust so the coach decides to go against the grain and do something to help protect that group because he doesn't think going by the book is gonna work and there's a lot of reasons the last couple years Mike McCarthy has done what he's done and I actually agree with most of them no they're not by the book most of us think that he's an idiot but in real time under real fire in the heat of the game with what has gone on in that game up until that point you have to know what's in his mind and why he's doing what he's doing and I believe his made the right decisions for his team in that particular game in that particular moment....

People can complain all day put the man under a microscope call him an idiot say he doesn't know what he's talking about but I believe he has a method for his madness and then he's done things that seem wrong and in my opinion they were the right call at the time whether they worked or not....
well said,Gimme MM anyday over many NFL coaches. He gives us a fighting chance at least.

Creeper

Reaction score
I

I agree with what you bringing up, all valid points . But you overlooked the 2-minute warning.
The Pollard run and tripping call brought the game down to the 2-minute warning.
So even if there’s no flag thrown, it is second and three at the 22 with the clock stopped and Detroit still has two timeouts.
Agreed. The difference between 2 time outs and 1 is huge there.

To me, the tripping call as as impactful to the game as the illegal touching call but the discussion seem to center only on the 2 point conversion. No tripping call and Detroit never gets in the end zone. And the thing is, it wasn't like the tripping calls we've seen in the past which were just ticky-tack calls. In this case the flagged Hendershot when it was the Lions guy who stuck his leg out. How any NFL ref could make that mistake is wild. They get that call right and the game is over. Detroit never scores again.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The NFL has a serious officiating problem. Both of the issues occurred because of poor attention to detail. It is obvious the refs are rushing and taking shortcuts.

Games used to be 3 hours or less while they now regularly go on for 3.5. There is 30 minutes more time but that is not football time. All that and more is now commercial breaks.

Jason 82 Witten

Reaction score
I’ve never seen the media so outraged over a call, nor have I seen Cowboys fans so outraged over a call that may have helped the Cowboys

DripTooHard

Reaction score
An obvious mistake should be fixed by a ref in the both!

The ref in the both can immediately see the tripping was called on the wrong player. Call down and tell the head official to pickup the flag! Why is this so complicated to the NFL!!!
They have those already with audio contact to officials on the field. The officials wear ear pieces with these folks in their ears.

DripTooHard

Reaction score
I'm assuming since the teams were wearing the same color pants, she saw a tripping attempt and thought it was the offensive player. There's no excuse for it, but that's what I assume.
I’d fire the Dallas equipment manager. Why was Hendershott wearing white socks instead of blue like everyone else? The 2021 gaffe with Anthony Brown’s white gloves during the Raiders game should be a fireable offense alone.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
They have those already with audio contact to officials on the field. The officials wear ear pieces with these folks in their ears.

Looks like they need a lot more practice, cause it's not working very well as it is.

DripTooHard

Reaction score
He doesn't understand clock management and Quinn doesn't understand to stop calling prevent defenses that let the other team run down the field. So we're screwed on both sides.
And Dak needs to be a leader and give MM that feedback when the play is called. I had a house full of 10 year olds that knew that was a bad play call from their Madden experience alone.

J_Allen

Reaction score
And Dak needs to be a leader and give MM that feedback when the play is called. I had a house full of 10 year olds that knew that was a bad play call from their Madden experience alone.
I've said the exact same thing before, I knew better clock management when I was 10 years old playing Madden. It is unbelievable. Aaron Rodgers was right, he has an extremely low football iq.

Carter

Reaction score
NFL is the only major sports league in the US that doesnt have full time referees.

Thats one of the biggest issues in my opinion because its not their "main job" in most cases. So mistakes and accountability arent as important as if you lose your full time job if you suck.

The game is way to difficult to not have full time refs. Not sure how this is still the case in 2024.

MLB, NFL, NHL all have full time refs.