McCarthy on tripping penalty, second-down throw

Creeper

Reaction score
I completely understand McCarthy's logic. The tripping call took us out of FG range, but there is also the consideration of where Detroit gets the ball. The Tripping call saved Detroit a TO. Had Detroit had only 1 TO left on that 2nd down call, I think McCarthy absolutely runs the football to keep the clock running on second down. Then again on 3rd down. That bad Tripping call really screwed Dallas and put them in a very bad position play calling and time-wise.

While all the talk is on the 2 pt conversion, that play never happens if the Cowboys are not called for Tripping when it should have been on the Lions. The Cowboys should have had the ball on the Lions 14 with a 1st down. No penalty call would have been better. Then the Lions are forced to use their second time out and Dallas has a 2nd and 3 at the 22. If They get a first down, the game is over. They can take a knee and run out the clock. Otherwise they burn off 40+ seconds on 2nd down and another 40+ on 3rd down. Then they kick the FG leaving Detroit with only about 20 seconds to go 75 yards for a game tying TD. That is virtually impossible.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Yeah we're screwed!!

So bad, 3-12 win seasons in a row, three playoff seasons in a row, they're so horrible... Man if they were good we'd be 17 and oh and win the Super bowl every year I mean find me that guy you're right Oh my God where is this coaching staff and players to get us undefeated and be perfect weekend and week out and have no flaws maybe we could have 53 Pro Bowl players so that way we don't have to worry about you whining about the depth...

I don't know what we should do we should just get better coaches better players a better quarterback ,

we need everything because according to this place we're in shambles, we have nothing, then you add in the refs screwing us around and we're supposed to be OK with that since we just going to blame everyone else!!!!

man some of you are so so great in informing us of everything that's bad about our own team, in our own forums,

man I think some of you need to start planning ahead so you can really complain when we are A 5 win team three years in a row.. With a truly bad quarterback and a truly bad coaching staff maybe the reality wake up call would be if this team was really bad for a lot of years....

finally some of you would wake up and realize you should appreciate what we got here right now and not lift your leg on every single thing...
THIS ^^^^

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And it was a 37 yard penalty as it turned out.

Minus 7 on negated play
Minus 15 for penalty
15 yards that should have went the other way
Should have been a no-call, though. Hutchinson tried to trip Pollard but he did not succeed. Don't think there's a penalty for attempted tripping.

cmoney23

Reaction score
Getting the first down is not the primary goal in that situation.

BURNING THE CLOCK is the primary goal. If you get the first while doing that... GREAT!! But, you shouldn't walk away from that possession with over a minute on the clock.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I had no problem with the throw or throwing for that matter. After the tripping to me it was important to get the first down and you weren't going to get it by running.
Then you don't know proper strategy. Throwing at all in that situation is beyond moronic.

Plus, you are attempting the common "perfect world" scenario to justify passing, but the prefect world scenario also applies to the RB who could break one for not only a 1st down, but a TD as well - which means that running is still the better, logical call.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Then you don't know proper strategy. Throwing at all in that situation is beyond moronic.

Plus, you are attempting the common "perfect world" scenario to justify passing, but the prefect world scenario also applies to the RB who could break one for not only a 1st down, but a TD as well - which means that running is still the better, logical call.
I liked the first-down throw because it got us back into decent FG range. I wanted a run on second down to run the clock.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Did you see the running game? They hadn’t had a big run all game but you thought they were gonna convert a run for 20 yards to give them a first down? Talk about moronic…. You’re trying to call games in 2024 not 1993. The game is different now and being conservative doesn’t win.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I liked the first-down throw because it got us back into decent FG range. I wanted a run on second down to run the clock.
Yeah that would’ve been ok too. Run on second….i would’ve had no issue with that. My stance is I want the first down more than I want to chew clock. It’s probably controversial but it’s what I prefer.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Getting the first down is not the primary goal in that situation.

BURNING THE CLOCK is the primary goal. If you get the first while doing that... GREAT!! But, you shouldn't walk away from that possession with over a minute on the clock.
I disagree. From what I saw the defense do? It became clear the right call was to go for the first down. Rams have plenty of time to go down the field and score a touchdown.

Mcsports

Reaction score
I keep hearing this, but it's not true.

If they call tripping on Detroit, the clock is stopped at the two minute warning and we have a first and 10 at the 11 yard line. Detroit still has 2 timeouts. We can't kneel the clock out at that point. We can drain the clock down by 40 seconds, but they'll still get it back.

If they don't call any foul at all on the play, it's 2nd and 3 with the clock stopped (after Detroit timeout) and we need 3 yards to win.

It definitely increases our chances of winning the game without giving them the ball back at all, or at least with much less time on the clock, but it far from a kneel down situation.
I’ve been meaning to post exactly what you stated . The time management issue.
In the extreme short term, the penalty actually allowed Dallas to run one additional play (first down all over again)
Which took away the value of the 2 minute warning.

Mcsports

Reaction score
I
I completely understand McCarthy's logic. The tripping call took us out of FG range, but there is also the consideration of where Detroit gets the ball. The Tripping call saved Detroit a TO. Had Detroit had only 1 TO left on that 2nd down call, I think McCarthy absolutely runs the football to keep the clock running on second down. Then again on 3rd down. That bad Tripping call really screwed Dallas and put them in a very bad position play calling and time-wise.

While all the talk is on the 2 pt conversion, that play never happens if the Cowboys are not called for Tripping when it should have been on the Lions. The Cowboys should have had the ball on the Lions 14 with a 1st down. No penalty call would have been better. Then the Lions are forced to use their second time out and Dallas has a 2nd and 3 at the 22. If They get a first down, the game is over. They can take a knee and run out the clock. Otherwise they burn off 40+ seconds on 2nd down and another 40+ on 3rd down. Then they kick the FG leaving Detroit with only about 20 seconds to go 75 yards for a game tying TD. That is virtually impossible.

I agree with what you bringing up, all valid points . But you overlooked the 2-minute warning.
The Pollard run and tripping call brought the game down to the 2-minute warning.
So even if there’s no flag thrown, it is second and three at the 22 with the clock stopped and Detroit still has two timeouts.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I

I agree with what you bringing up, all valid points . But you overlooked the 2-minute warning.
The Pollard run and tripping call brought the game down to the 2-minute warning.
So even if there’s no flag thrown, it is second and three at the 22 with the clock stopped and Detroit still has two timeouts.
That's the situation you want. Get three yards and it's over.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I had no problem with the throw or throwing for that matter. After the tripping to me it was important to get the first down and you weren't going to get it by running.
Of course you didn't. That's not the role of a cheerleader.

Seriously? You wouldn't rather the Lions with 45 seconds and no timeouts at the 20 yard line? You would rather what played out on Saturday?

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't mind it either. You don't play to give the other team the ball back with a minute instead of a minute forty five. That's playing not to lose. I can see the criticism if by running the ball the clock would have been under 30 seconds and no timeouts. But over a minute? A lot can happen. But if you're going to do that and fail, you can't play that soft D that bends you back into the endzone. That's my only complaint. We lost the game in Miami because of that.

Flamma

Reaction score
Of course you didn't. That's not the role of a cheerleader.

Seriously? You wouldn't rather the Lions with 45 seconds and no timeouts at the 20 yard line? You would rather what played out on Saturday?
It would have been over a minute left from what I understand.