McCarthy: RBs will be asked to do more in pass protection

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Hunter may be a front runner now. Hes most likely the best blocker of the RB group. Plus hes versatile.

Is he RB3 or TE4? My gut says they keep 4 actual TEs and Hunter is penciled in at RB3.

Battle for RB2 is Jones, Dowdle, Davis and whomever could be available later. Cook? A Pollard Cook one two punch would be fun. Doubt we trade for him and we wont want to pay him much. But he may be interested in a cheaper, one year deal to play for a superbowl contender.
I agree, though, the problem is, unless we use Hunter in run plays every so often, using him in pass protection in shotgun could tip our hands as to whether it's a run or pass.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
If they mean they will use all the RB in pass protection then great but Zeke basically did nothing but stay back and pass protect.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Deuce isnt even a speed bump.

There were quite a few times when Zeke got rocked on blitz pickups. And he was 6'0 230.

Deuce will never, ever, be put into a position where he is ever an option to block anyone. Not in the NFL anyway.
He can cut at the legs and give and extra second for a hot route but yeah generally speaking he should be utilized differently.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hunter may be a front runner now. Hes most likely the best blocker of the RB group. Plus hes versatile.

Is he RB3 or TE4? My gut says they keep 4 actual TEs and Hunter is penciled in at RB3.

Battle for RB2 is Jones, Dowdle, Davis and whomever could be available later. Cook? A Pollard Cook one two punch would be fun. Doubt we trade for him and we wont want to pay him much. But he may be interested in a cheaper, one year deal to play for a superbowl contender.
Hunter should not make this team over Davis….but something tells me this will all be sorted out in the preseason.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I agree, though, the problem is, unless we use Hunter in run plays every so often, using him in pass protection in shotgun could tip our hands as to whether it's a run or pass.
They used Zeke and Pollard together at times.

And they may implement more FB type blocking schemes. Or he could do some H back/move TE stuff that could support pass pro.

Thats why I like the idea of him. But I have no idea if hes good enough to even make the team. He did go undrafted.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They used Zeke and Pollard together at times.

And they may implement more FB type blocking schemes. Or he could do some H back/move TE stuff that could support pass pro.

Thats why I like the idea of him. But I have no idea if hes good enough to even make the team. He did go undrafted.

Yes, that works for me in shotgun situations. 12 personnel or situations where we have off centre FB locations (21 personnel), I'm not worried about. But, having a lineup of Pollard/Vaughn and Luepke in the backfield works well. Especially if we have Lamb, Cooks, and Gallup on the field. I also wouldn't be surprised if, given that we have a lot of good TEs, we put a TE in the backfield if needed.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
17 receptions with as many passing downs he had is absolutely nothing in the passing game. He played like 300 passing snaps.
Pollard had only 39 receptions himself. So Zeke had basically 1 per game, Pollard 2.
If Zeke's receptions are nothing then so are Pollards.

Besides, if Zeke went in on passing downs as a blocker, then he wouldn't have very many receptions.

But putting aside receptions, Zeke had 231 carries, let me rephrase my question:

You call 231 carries nothing? That's more than all but 9 other running backs, and actually more carries than McCaffery.

JBS

Reaction score
Wait a minute. When you run the ball more, how does the rb pass protect more?

Oh. So we aren’t focusing on running it more. Of course we aren’t. Why would anyone believe that nonsense

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Yes, that works for me in shotgun situations. 12 personnel or situations where we have off centre FB locations (21 personnel), I'm not worried about. But, having a lineup of Pollard/Vaughn and Luepke in the backfield works well. Especially if we have Lamb, Cooks, and Gallup on the field. I also wouldn't be surprised if, given that we have a lot of good TEs, we put a TE in the backfield if needed.
Im not getting into potential formations etc.

You go empty for a reason. You keep a "protector" for a reason.

They key is to be scheme transparent when it comes to personnel.

Having Deuce in the game is a key for the defense. Having a true TE in the backfield is a key for the defense.

Why? Because of their limitations.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Im not getting into potential formations etc.

You go empty for a reason. You keep a "protector" for a reason.

They key is to be scheme transparent when it comes to personnel.

Having Deuce in the game is a key for the defense. Having a true TE in the backfield is a key for the defense.

Why? Because of their limitations.

True, and, if the need is to bring another player in, perhaps Kenyan Drake?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Pollard had only 39 receptions himself. So Zeke had basically 1 per game, Pollard 2.
If Zeke's receptions are nothing then so are Pollards.

Besides, if Zeke went in on passing downs as a blocker, then he wouldn't have very many receptions.

But putting aside receptions, Zeke had 231 carries, let me rephrase my question:

You call 231 carries nothing? That's more than all but 9 other running backs, and actually more carries than McCaffery.
231 carries is nothing in the passing game. We are talking about pass protection. Pollard similarly not being used in the passing game is not exactly counter to my point.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Translation: they are concerned about that OL in pass protection with one OT an injury waiting to happen and the other coming off surgery.

The depth of this OL should be a major concern going into this season and I would have preferred an OL to a TE at that pick.

Elliott may be the no brainer signing because he is a very good blocker for a RB but he is a RB hitting players that outweigh him by 50-70 lbs with a full head of steam.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you're right. Actions speak louder than words- and the team's actions are supporting this belief.
What else were they going to say letting Moore walk? And he called 48% runs, I will be surprised if they match that this season.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
True, and, if the need is to bring another player in, perhaps Kenyan Drake?
There were 14 rbs drafted before we drafted ours. There will be some churning of rosters after camp and RBs will be cut.

I have no idea who will be available. Mixon is a guy that might could be had. Dont know how much gas is left in the tank, but being a part time player might work out.

Cooks as I mentioned before. Maybe Henry. I just think those guys are going to want to much money. And honestly, Id rather bring Zeke back than Henry if they were asking for the same money.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There were 14 rbs drafted before we drafted ours. There will be some churning of rosters after camp and RBs will be cut.

I have no idea who will be available. Mixon is a guy that might could be had. Dont know how much gas is left in the tank, but being a part time player might work out.

Cooks as I mentioned before. Maybe Henry. I just think those guys are going to want to much money. And honestly, Id rather bring Zeke back than Henry if they were asking for the same money.

I think if Dalvin Cook was going to be cut, he'd have been cut by now. I think Mixon is going to stay with the Bengals. I'd probably take Zeke back over Henry.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
231 carries is nothing in the passing game. We are talking about pass protection. Pollard similarly not being used in the passing game is not exactly counter to my point.
Yes, I would agree 17 is nothing in the passing game, but what I was commenting on was the part of your post that said Zeke did "nothing but pass protect". He also carried the ball 231 times, meaning he DIDN'T do "nothing" but pass protect, he was the main rusher.

Just wanted to clarify that....