McCarthy: RBs will be asked to do more in pass protection

Jarntt

Reaction score
Hunter should not make this team over Davis….but something tells me this will all be sorted out in the preseason.
since Luepke has yet to even put on shoulder pads at this level and Davis has a whole 3 dozen carries I’ll hold off on that one. Luepke may never even make an NFL practice squad, but on paper he has some traits that could make him a good fit for this particular team.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Pollard is willing but that's just a good way to get your best weapon hurt.

Deuce, I just don't see any possibility you put him in that position very often.

Davis probably can be pretty effective but I remember him having some struggles last year.

Jones - I really don't remember how he did last year but to be a vet I think its safe to assume he's able.

If McCarthy is serious, doesn't sound like a really good idea.

RoboQB

Reaction score
"Sounds like he's lookin' for a guy... 'cause I know a guy. Knowhatimsayn'".

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How will we ever make it without a designated "pass blocking" RB, or a designated "Short Yardage" back..other succesfull teams couple RB's that can do what they need... the Cowboys we need 6 RB's 1 for each job....and we wonder why opposing Defenses keep saying "We knew what they were going to do"..lol
Almost like Georgia knowing what TCU was doing.....lol

quickccc

Reaction score
How will we ever make it without a designated "pass blocking" RB, or a designated "Short Yardage" back..other succesfull teams couple RB's that can do what they need... the Cowboys we need 6 RB's 1 for each job....and we wonder why opposing Defenses keep saying "We knew what they were going to do"..lol
Who was the Eagles designated short yardage back ? .... A team that either led or among the NFL leaders in rushing the ball ?

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Right! Just like when MM said before the draft we needed a big bruising back.

McCarthy likes RBs who can catch out of the backfield and a wide passing attack. We’ll run but this is going to be a lot of catch and make plays in open space for the RBs.

plasticman

Reaction score
What running backs?

A rookie RB is going to be part of the protection for our quarterback?

Really?

Was he referring only to Pollard and Jones?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This offense needs an imposingly physical RB to tend to the blocking for passing success to follow. Let's hope one steps up to help out. Do we have one in house -- perhaps one is there to prove himself capable of providing it. Leupke, perhaps?

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This offense needs an imposingly physical RB to tend to the blocking for passing success to follow.
Yet when they had a chance to draft one, they didn't.

Should we connect those dots and conclude the Cowboys don't think they do?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

That's optional -- whether we manage to make that happen or not, remains to be seen.:thumbup:

We already have a rookie candidate named Luepke who seems capable of making it happen.

Perhaps we have yet to learn if his blocking skills are sound enough to make that a reality?!!!

Last edited:

Jarntt

Reaction score

No. I don't think one is necessarily definitive proof of the other. You can't just draft the exact running back for your vision when your turn comes around. Often times your wants and the draft don't match up

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well...Jerry .... needs to hire Zeke as a coach to teach Pollard and others how to block....

Then when Pollard gets injured at some point for whatever reason, Zeke resigns from coaching and is signed to be the RB....

:thumbup::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
231 carries is nothing in the passing game. We are talking about pass protection. Pollard similarly not being used in the passing game is not exactly counter to my point.
Then why say Zeke does "nothing but pass protect" if he actually does do SOMETHING else? At best it's not a comment germane to the original post.

Not saying that's your view, but putting that comment just turns your post into another Zeke hate post, and we've had enough of those, everbody has formed their own opinion on Zeke, no need to beat a dead horse, as the saying goes....