McCarthy Says Dez Didn’t Catch It?

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Yep we were screwed but what cost the Cowboys the game was the Cowboys couldnt stop an injured Rodgers in the 2nd half.

I dont care anymore if Dez caught it or not. The Cowboys still had to make one more stop to win and they failed.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Some really good examples. Colts guys much more clearly diving. Dez on the other hand was falling.

Put it this way...if Dez could have maintained his feet then why would be dive at all? Of course, he wouldn't. He would have just strode into the endzone.

Exactly, on that last point. This wasn't the first jump ball of this kind he and Romo attempted. This below was taken from a preseason game that same year. In that example, Dez isn't even touched. Going to the ground the whole way.

gtdz0tqth2g9kqg6g.jpg

w1736c78a467m186g.jpg

garyo1954

Reaction score
McCarthy was right it wasn’t a catch then by rule but by rule it is now. The ridiculous rule they had in place at the time wiped out a great play.

In the presser he goes on to say that Stephen got it changed so it would be a catch today.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Honestly, if you are not diving and reaching, you tuck the ball away. He obviously is diving and reaching otherwise he tucks the ball and rolls

He's not "obviously" doing anything. To the naked eye at real speed, it looks as though he's falling. Like I said, in the replay you can see that he attempted to lunge but his foot slips as he attempts it and nothing changed his trajectory of falling to the ground (which is probably why a lunge would get you out of the GTTG rule -- if you can execute). I just posted an example of an almost identical good catch Dez made that year and he falls the whole way.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Agree Cowfan, the fumble was worse than the non catch call. We could have probably put the game away on that drive.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
In the presser he goes on to say that Stephen got it changed so it would be a catch today.

They were having some fun with it. I was over that play the day it happened but some here will never get over it.

garyv

Reaction score
It was a question that needed to be asked.

McCarthy said:

"It was a great catch, I can say now. It wasn't then - technically."

That's all we needed to know!

He stated not per the rules at the time

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Think of it this way. If Dez was ruled a catch, we’d have 20 more years of Garrett. That ought to scare just about anyone.

It might have been worth it. I am convinced we would have beaten Seattle that year to make it to the Super Bowl

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
At least McCarthy and his staff were smart enough to understand the rule and challenge it. If it happened to us with Garrett and his staff, they probably would’ve assumed it was a catch like the fans on this board and allowed it to go down as a catch.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At least McCarthy and his staff were smart enough to understand the rule and challenge it. If it happened to us with Garrett and his staff, they probably would’ve been as confused by it as the fans on this board and allowed it to go down as a catch.
Whether Garrett fully understood the rule, I have no doubt he would have challenged it because at that point in the game it was too big a play not to challenge. I doubt McCarthy really knew exactly what the play was going to look like on replay either, but he knew the ball was bobbled and would be a big play in the game if the original call stood, so he threw the flag.

Rayman70

Reaction score
SO I have to ask. Would Mike try to bring back DezBryant and give him a chance to make the club this offseason? Just saying....it might be a good fit. Dez wouldn't be the guy he once was, but certainly would add some spice to the wr room. He, Cobb and Gallup..then the ace card(if we sign him)..AMARI COOPER. Just a thought.

Big_D

Reaction score
It should've been a catch but who cares at this point?? Let it go. Seriously. Of course he's going to say it wasn't a catch. It worked out in his favor!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Whether Garrett fully understood the rule, I have no doubt he would have challenged it because at that point in the game it was too big a play not to challenge. I doubt McCarthy really knew exactly what the play was going to look like on replay either, but he knew the ball was bobbled and would be a big play in the game if the original call stood, so he threw the flag.

One thing is for sure the Packers players on the sidelines knew the rule. The sideline was miked along with cameras and several Packers players were saying “Calvin Johnson rule” immediately after Dez made the catch.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Have a hunch Sean Lee and Witten will retire. I am intrigued with the idea of Witten coupled with Mike tho. But I think its time for Jarwin to start.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LMAO, he left out that if it was, it wouldn't have mattered, the Cowboys D couldn't stop Rodgers running around on one leg. Biggest deal about nothing of all Cowboys playoff games.

Big_D

Reaction score
LMAO, he left out that if it was, it wouldn't have mattered, the Cowboys D couldn't stop Rodgers running around on one leg. Biggest deal about nothing of all Cowboys playoff games.

That's the truth. D could never make a stop in that situation. That day would've been no different and it still would've been Romo's fault anyway. lol

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Calm down; I’m not that old!!

But hell, why not?

We always get done dirty playing GB, including the Ice Bowl...

2 SB’s will make it all better...

Since you're not that old why are you making things up about it. The only dirty thing was the 13 below zero weather. A re you a Hatfield or Mccoy? Get over it.