Twitter: McCarthy wants Prescott to run more this year

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Well put.

The game went pretty much as most analysts predicted. We couldn’t stop their running game and they put pressure on our QB.

which is why many felt SF was a poor match up for the Cowboys. Their strength vs our weakness and frankly GB ran into the same issues.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Point is Cowboys do have a chance at the ring.
There’s always a chance if you are in the playoffs. But my argument is based on who should we have more faith in based on recent history and trends. The Cowboys aren’t one of those teams .

That doesn’t mean there’s not any hope . But most would need to see more evidence before placing us in that higher echelon group of serious contenders .

The proof is always in the pudding. Until then it’s just hype and hoopla . Which is fine but not something I usually align with.

quickccc

Reaction score
..and they should try to be "smart " again ..

- Scramble-runs when necessary and it is called for ...and that includes sliding down before the tackler, or running out of bounds from blitzers.and rushers..

- Not " designing" run plays that Dak tries to be a RB, fighting off and stiff arming tacklers. He may Not be able to competitively help himself in that instance.
Don't put his mindset and aggressiveness in that manner.

- Goal line RPO's , QB sneaks in that especially short yd distances i could understand,.. but not anymore run designs in the open field.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There’s always a chance if you are in the playoffs. But my argument is based on who should we have more faith in based on recent history and trends. The Cowboys aren’t one of those teams .

That doesn’t mean there’s not any hope . But most would need to see more evidence before placing us in that higher echelon group of serious contenders .

The proof is always in the pudding. Until then it’s just hype and hoopla . Which is fine but not something I usually align with.

I agree proof is on the field, I feel this team has talent that can win how other feel that is on them but when someone tells me I'm buying into the hype? BS I see the talent and it falls to these players and these coaches to get the job done. I'm under no illusions that this team is a sure thing then again I don't see any of these teams as a sure thing. Back when Dallas was a 5-11 team during the Campo years I knew the talent was not there just wanted to see this team improve, when this team was going through musical QB I knew we did not have the team but was looking to come out of this mess with a decent QB enter Romo. Now yes my expectation are greater along with the talent on this team, I don't see it as an easy road but then again it is not easy to win at this level. As far as off season reports I like seeing reports on players working and improving beat the hell out of reports saying player is coming into camp out of shape or sustained injury or a no show but I still expect to see these players prove on the field.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree proof is on the field, I feel this team has talent that can win how other feel that is on them but when someone tells me I'm buying into the hype? BS I see the talent and it falls to these players and these coaches to get the job done. I'm under no illusions that this team is a sure thing then again I don't see any of these teams as a sure thing. Back when Dallas was a 5-11 team during the Campo years I knew the talent was not there just wanted to see this team improve, when this team was going through musical QB I knew we did not have the team but was looking to come out of this mess with a decent QB enter Romo. Now yes my expectation are greater along with the talent on this team, I don't see it as an easy road but then again it is not easy to win at this level. As far as off season reports I like seeing reports on players working and improving beat the hell out of reports saying player is coming into camp out of shape or sustained injury or a no show but I still expect to see these players prove on the field.
I appreciate your position but if you believe they are capable of achieving something they haven’t then you are buying into the hype .

Which is fine. As players you have to believe you can do it . As fans we can wait and see hoping for better results.

Sydla

Reaction score
Got zero issues with this. He should run more as it presents an added dynamic to the offense. Frankly, I wish we ran more read option in short yardage and goal line situations.

Reactions: G2

phildadon86

Reaction score
So you never missed work for not being totally healthy?
Yes i have. I aint getting paid 40 million a year to do my job though. What a great argument lol.

Also. Dak was saying he was healthy all season. So there is that.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Got zero issues with this. He should run more as it presents an added dynamic to the offense. Frankly, I wish we ran more read option in short yardage and goal line situations.
I agree, no clue why they don't run that more.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Let me help Mike .
We will be moving Dak around because he's not effective in the pocket.
There really hasnt been much of a pocket, but Dak needs to have a mobile pocket, I will agree there.
That only comes with very skilled pulling guards, we might have drafted one for this purpose most recently.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The threat of a quarterback running usually improves the offense.

However, since when is Tom Brady a threat to run? The man has 664 rushing attempts in 318 games, about 2 a game. And has 7 rings. So it's not necessary for a team to win Super Bowls.

Now, I'd much prefer the team has such a stout running and passing offense that Dak doesn't need to run much, but that's hard to do.

Dak has to run sometimes, that's just the nature of the game, and some designed runs helps keep the defense honest, he needs more practice at that.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Josh Allen can run AND throw though.

Running is not what makes him good, it's just another weapon for him. His arm talent is off the charts.
I think he is the best QB in the league. He had more yards than Pollard rushing and more passing yards than Rogers. Talk about a guy that means everything to a team. He is the first second and third best player on Buffalo. Dak would get laughed out of town on that team.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There really hasnt been much of a pocket, but Dak needs to have a mobile pocket, I will agree there.
That only comes with very skilled pulling guards, we might have drafted one for this purpose most recently.
While I agree Dak was under some fierce pressure. There were many times Dak had people open but didn't pull the trigger. He refused to throw into a tight middle. Would not throw the quick out when it was there all day. We must allow time for good separation as he had in 2016.
He can thrive, force defenses to back off and cover, while making life easier on the OL too.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the brilliant media is asking questions like this in June.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Well, MM didn't say exactly how much more he has in mind for Dak to run!
I think he'll be conservative, knowing what the odds are for re-injury. :huh:

I would imagine he'd be advised to restrain his runs to a moderate number.

Last edited:

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Dak ran 47 times last year which was only 9 less than his rookie year. He probably could use his legs an additional attempt a game where needed, but I think the difference was a more tentative Dak. He held the ball longer and passed up on running opportunities. This led to a career low 7 1st down runs and a 3.0 average. He may have lost some speed with the injury, but he needs to be more decisive with his runs and take off when he sees a lane.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
"We tried to be smart when we used him last year"

Why? There is a shelf life. There is a window. This is football and that window and shelf life is much smaller in the NFL than other sports.

Playing scared is what losers do.

Dak does play scared now. Mike can dress it up all he wants, but they aren't so "smart" when they trot Zeke out there every game, hurt or not. Granted, Zeke has free control to take himself out of the game whenever he wants, but still.