McCarthy With A Horrible Take Regarding The Playoffs

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I didn’t read his comments that way at all.

The way the comments read to me. Is him just saying we need to win each week in the regular season first.

As fans, yes. We can focus on the playoffs and wanting to get further.

But the players and coaches shouldn’t take everything for granted and they need to go win regular season games first before they even chance a chance to get further in the playoffs.
Thing is, the goal should be clear at any time, even when there are a lot of steps to take beforehand. You don't go in "but regular season wins first". You say something in the likes of "we wanna do absolutely better than last year. Need to get into the play offs first, but this time we wanna make some noise in post season too".

FVSTONE

Reaction score

A “look over there, but not over here” take from Mike.

Would you rather win 12 games, get the 2 seed, and be the 1st team to ever lose to a 7 seed in the Wild Card game?

Or

Sneak into the playoffs at 9-8 and make a Super Bowl run?

Your 12 win seasons mean nothing. All we got from them is a Wild Card win against the 8-9 Bucs.

All we got was a good old fashion butt whipping from GB, in our own house! MM is good with mediocre at best and should be shown the same door that Prescott is hopefully walking soon.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I didn’t read his comments that way at all.

The way the comments read to me. Is him just saying we need to win each week in the regular season first.

As fans, yes. We can focus on the playoffs and wanting to get further.

But the players and coaches shouldn’t take everything for granted and they need to go win regular season games first before they even chance a chance to get further in the playoffs.

This is clearly what he’s saying.

OP and others are misunderstanding him - perhaps intentionally, so they have something to complain about.

HungryLion

Reaction score
This is clearly what he’s saying.

OP and others are misunderstanding him - perhaps intentionally, so they have something to complain about.

It’s all nonsense anyway.

I am as frustrated about the lack of playoff success too. But comments to the media during the pre season isn’t going to change anything.

If Mike doesn’t get the team to advance in the playoffs this year. He will be gone anyway. Regardless of what he says.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Wouldn't we all like to have bosses like the Cowboys players have?

Sir, your company's stocknprice has plummeted 60%, your profit is down 50%, and your expenses and payroll is up 200%. How do you explain that as a CEO?

CEO: well, my employees work really hard from 9am to 11 am. But then they get all sleepy after lunch and basically nap all afternoon at their desks....but the shareholders shouldn't ficus on that, just be happy that they work somewhat hard in the morning, unti nappy time kicks in!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MM is in sell mode. The objective of the season is to improve going into the playoffs and then win. A season with no playoffs wins isn't much better than not making the playoffs at all.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score

A “look over there, but not over here” take from Mike.

Would you rather win 12 games, get the 2 seed, and be the 1st team to ever lose to a 7 seed in the Wild Card game?

Or

Sneak into the playoffs at 9-8 and make a Super Bowl run?

Your 12 win seasons mean nothing. All we got from them is a Wild Card win against the 8-9 Bucs.

Or

Miss the playoffs entirely by prematurely worrying about a playoff run. Thats MM's point... making the playoffs, playoff runs or Superbowl wins aint easy or a given.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Or

Miss the playoffs entirely by prematurely worrying about a playoff run. Thats MM's point... making the playoffs, playoff runs or Superbowl wins aint easy or a given.
It’s the easiest it’s ever been to make the playoffs in NFL.

McCarthys only playoff win in Dallas came against an 8-9 team for crying out loud.

Retro88

Reaction score
It’s worse.

I’d rather have a top draft pick than a 12 win season just to lose in the Wild Card game.
You should switch teams from the Eagles to the Cardinals/Panthers/Raiders then. You'll get all the top picks you can handle and you won't have to worry about a 12 win season there either.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He sounds just like a lot of folks on here.

They don't really understand what the goal of the season should be. Just wanna have some "happy" moments throughout the regular season then content watching other teams compete come playoff time.
No one is content watching other teams compete come playoff time, but if it was up to a lot of fans here that’s all the Cowboys would ever do because fans here want the team to tank for a high draft pick every year. As soon as we lose a couple of games, they want us to tank. There’s fans already talking about wanting the team tank in 2024. You have fans that say they would rather go 5-12 than 12-5 if it means another one and done. They see no difference in sitting home for the playoffs than making the playoffs and losing. The goal every year is to make the playoffs to give yourself a chance at reaching the Super Bowl.

You can’t reach the Super Bowl without making the playoffs and making the playoffs all starts with a good regular season. I want to watch a fun, exciting season where the team is winning games and giving themselves a chance to compete in the playoffs. I’ll let the rest of the fan base hope we lose every week so we can have a high draft pick. If an enjoyable season is watching the team get closer to a top 10 pick every week they should find another sport to watch.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You should switch teams from the Eagles to the Cardinals/Panthers/Raiders then. You'll get all the top picks you can handle and you won't have to worry about a 12 win season there either.
All 4 of those teams have more success than the Cowboys since 1996.

So that’s not really the insult you thought it was in your head.