Twitter: McCarthy's cryptic message on Connor Williams

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't know who the posters are who think he's above average and will get a really big contract after this year but you guys can all sit down

Who in the hell is paying a lot of money for the most heavily penalized player in the league?

He's above average yet he is the most penalized offensive lineman. That doesn't make any sense.
No one said he was getting a really big contract, stop making things up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know who the posters are who think he's above average and will get a really big contract after this year but you guys can all sit down

Who in the hell is paying a lot of money for the most heavily penalized player in the league?

He's above average yet he is the most penalized offensive lineman. That doesn't make any sense.

His free agency value has certainly taken a hit.

giphy.gif

J_Allen

Reaction score
No one said he was getting a really big contract, stop making things up.

Oh yes they have. Several, and one even said his contract will be near Zach Martins. I am being 100% serious.

It's just sad. If you're that ignorant about what makes a player above average then maybe you need to watch a little bit more football. People also said Jaylon Smith was great because he had such a high tackle count. Well did they watch the games?

There will just be people who either want to stand on their high horse when people are criticizing a player or they think everyone who plays for Dallas is good.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Oh yes they have. Several, and one even said his contract will be near Zach Martins. I am being 100% serious.

It's just sad. If you're that ignorant about what makes a player above average then maybe you need to watch a little bit more football. People also said Jaylon Smith was great because he had such a high tackle count. Well did they watch the games?

There will just be people who either want to stand on their high horse when people are criticizing a player or they think everyone who plays for Dallas is good.
I never saw it, but then again I ignore a lot of nonsense. I find it odd that several did.

J_Allen

Reaction score
I never saw it, but then again I ignore a lot of nonsense. I find it odd that several did.

Believe me. They did.

He needs to move back out to tackle. I think he might be a little short but he can't play guard very well at the NFL level. That's been obvious for a few years now.

He's actually well below average. Not above.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Believe me. They did.

He needs to move back out to tackle. I think he might be a little short but he can't play guard at the NFL level. That's been obvious for a few years now.

I think they’ve done him a disservice trying to make him an ‘interior only’ player. He’s a finesse, movement player, not a power guy.

J_Allen

Reaction score
I think they’ve done him a disservice trying to make him an ‘interior only’ player. He’s a finesse, movement player, not a power guy.

Yeah I don't know why he doesn't get a shot at tackle. Maybe he has in practice and they don't feel he's very good.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Believe me. They did.

He needs to move back out to tackle. I think he might be a little short but he can't play guard at the NFL level. That's been obvious for a few years now.
He's not that bad. Without Smith, it looks even worse. Fans can harp on penalties, but officiating has been awful and some of those calls were ridiculous. It's happening all over the NFL, specifically on the O line. All the numbers are up.
All I care about is this season and the staff isn't moving him to tackle. If he was as bad as some here suggest, McGovern would have replaced him. I trust the staff more than I trust the casual fan. If Smith was ready to go, I could see Collins in at RG and Steele at RT.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

It makes plenty of sense though. He’s above average which means he’s not consistent which means he does get penalized.

Sign me up as a guy who thinks he gets paid well. This league is starved for linemen and He’s been a starter for a good Cowboys offensive line. Jeremy Parnell got paid well as did Leary. Getting penalized once a game on average isn’t going to scare someone.

J_Allen

Reaction score
He's not that bad. Without Smith, it looks even worse. Fans can harp on penalties, but officiating has been awful and some of those calls were ridiculous. It's happening all over the NFL, specifically on the O line. All the numbers are up.
All I care about is this season and the staff isn't moving him to tackle. If he was as bad as some here suggest, McGovern would have replaced him. I trust the staff more than I trust the casual fan. If Smith was ready to go, I could see Collins in at RG and Steele at RT.

Oh okay, you're one of Connor Williams fans.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That’s my argument. If he’s as bad as people say he would’ve been on the bench.

J_Allen

Reaction score
It makes plenty of sense though. He’s above average which means he’s not consistent which means he does get penalized.

Sign me up as a guy who thinks he gets paid well. This league is starved for linemen and He’s been a starter for a good Cowboys offensive line. Jeremy Parnell got paid well as did Leary. Getting penalized once a game on average isn’t going to scare someone.

Connor Williams isn't even 65% of Ronald Leary.

If he has 13 penalties and we've played seven games, that's almost a two penalty per game average, not one. And it's horrible.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Oh okay, you're one of Connor Williams fans.
Yeah, that's the typical response when you don't demand he gets cut. He's a Cowboy, so of course I'm a fan.
Answer this, since you're all knowing. Why is he still starting games?

J_Allen

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the typical response when you don't demand he gets cut. He's a Cowboy, so of course I'm a fan.
Answer this, since you're all knowing. Why is he still starting games?

Obviously we don't have anyone they think is better.

All that means is his backup is worse than he is, and that's pretty bad.

J_Allen

Reaction score
That's like working for a bad manager and the company won't fire him because they don't have a replacement. Does that make him a good manager? That's the same argument.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

If he has 13 penalties and we've played seven games, that's almost a two penalty per game average, not one. And it's horrible.
You're looking at one aspect of his game, which until this year hasn't even been an issue. He had 6 penalties all of 2019, just 4 penalties in 2020. I'm not happy with the penalties and CW deserves to be chastised over them this year. It does seem however that the penalties so far are an outlier to his career and not the norm.

J_Allen

Reaction score
You're looking at one aspect of his game, which until this year hasn't even been an issue. He had 6 penalties all of 2019, just 4 penalties in 2020. I'm not happy with the penalties and CW deserves to be chastised over them this year. It does seem however that the penalties so far are an outlier to his career and not the norm.

He's always held and he's always been overpowered. He's not big or strong enough to play guard and that's been evident since day one.

Why do you think he holds more than any player in the league? And yes it's one aspect but it's a pretty big one. How many drives has he killed this year? You can't do that playoffs.

Again, obviously we're not going to agree on this.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

The Cowboys are 7-2 but they've played seven games?

I got him for a few bogus penalties including a phantom chop block. I also see him listed for 10 penalties unless the site isn't updated?

And the point isn't Conner is as good or as bad as Leary. My point was guys like Parnell and Leary both got paid when they left here.

Conner may not get paid. To me I just seen linemen get paid every year especially ones who can play tackle and guard. If he will be cheap i'd hope the Cowboys would bring him back.