McClay (2017) on Rico in practice - "We can't stop him" against 1st teamers **merged**

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
not 1 comment.
interview from mcclay
and comments from broaddus on top of it
unstoppable = talent, which swaim and schultz lacks abundance of.
talent does not go away unless there is an injury
statements were in 2017 before camp, not august 2016
keep twisting the facts
one comment does not a talent make..... and since then perhaps if they ask McClay again he will say he was wrong... and again, McClay, Jones, Garrett have made comments about a lot of players...how come you are not jumping on those comments...

and statements from 2017, may is before the camp, which means he had one camp as a rookie and was a PS player and in the second camp, he started to fizzle and lose his shine and kind of start to show that he is really not a football player...and in his third camp, he is really showing, that perhaps he peaked as a basketball player in college....

believe me it happens to players all the time, I mean how many first rounders, with football experience and playing in big time programs have come to NFL and have fizzled after a couple of years or so.....its not a unique issue. it happens a lot

and btw, you can keep ignoring facts....like all the recent reports of Rico...your choice. I provided your several of them in response, but you just didn't want to read them...again, your choice to ignore

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
fade to rico is an option where he has the most advantage
he can run other routes as seen in highlights
in fact most of the preseason catches are not jump-balls
he has shown the routes he runs are good for peewee flag football, rather simple...he totally relies on his athletic ability, which against 1st and second stringers today, would not take him far...they are just as athletic if not more...they also know football, which he doesn't

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
DBs are at a disadvantage in most practice snaps.

As I've told you before, MartyB was unstoppable in practice when he was here but the games were a different story.

MB was the same size but faster than Rico.

I would like to see Rico make the team and have success but real games are drastically different than practice for many reasons.

As I asked before, why hasn't MartyB been All-Pro every year? What can Rico do that MartyB couldn't do?
exactly....almost as big and faster and bigger catch radius...so MB should have totally dominated NFL and been a HOF candidate... and why didn't bilicheck and brady throw more fade routes to Marty B...they must be stupid...who could have stopped Marty B!!!!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
i would take martyb over rico, absolutely.
he is lower risk.
the other 3 te's are not martyb though.

is martyb a similar receiver but faster, i dont remember.
will need to look at some marty tape.
so, let me understand...you just had about 1348 posts about Rico, catch radius and fade routes....and Marty B is better than Rico and he played with Brady and Bilicheck...and why didn't they just throw fade routes to him all day inside the redzone and he could probably have 30 TDs each year just doing that!!!...could it be that Brady and Bilicheck aren't that smart!!! say it ain't so!!!

waldoputty

Reaction score
so, let me understand...you just had about 1348 posts about Rico, catch radius and fade routes....and Marty B is better than Rico and he played with Brady and Bilicheck...and why didn't they just throw fade routes to him all day inside the redzone and he could probably have 30 TDs each year just doing that!!!...could it be that Brady and Bilicheck aren't that smart!!! say it ain't so!!!

taking martyb over rico does not mean marty has more talent
it just means martyb when drafted is lower risk as he is more football readay
that also does not mean martyb is a better fade route receiver.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I have not read one posts that says they hope Rico doesn't do well, everyone here sees reality, you are stuck on a myth...

i am the one who dug up the videos and mcclay interviews from 2017
when it does not fit what u invested in the argument, deny deny deny
yes u did not inhale

waldoputty

Reaction score
exactly....almost as big and faster and bigger catch radius...so MB should have totally dominated NFL and been a HOF candidate... and why didn't bilicheck and brady throw more fade routes to Marty B...they must be stupid...who could have stopped Marty B!!!!
lots of basketball players the size of rico but they were not the rebouding leader in ncaa.
it takes more than size.
it takes talent like hand-to-eye coordination and the ability to track and project ball path like a second nature.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
i am the one who dug up the videos and mcclay interviews from 2017
when it does not fit what u invested in the argument, deny deny deny
yes u did not inhale
I sure did. And I'm about to again. Screw my eye appointment in an hour and a half!
"Why are your eyes red, sir? Allergies?"

"Why yes, I do have allergies..."

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
During DallasCowboys.Com Cowboys Break, Steve Eatman asked Will McClay about Rico Gathers and everything sounds very promising. McClay even went on to say, “We can’t stop him”. And Rico/Romo were going against 1st teamers in byron jones, church and heath.

So his passcatching was called "unstoppable" against 1st teamers, but yet there are people who claim Rico is nothing special? That was in 2017, so people seriously now think he 'forgot' how to be unstoppable???

https://thesportsdaily.com/2017/05/03/will-mcclay-on-rico-gathers-we-cant-stop-him/

furthermore, Broaddus said during an episode of The Draft Show this week. “I will say this. I had people come up to me and say, cause I was always curious about Rico [Gathers], I had people come up to me and say ‘You ought-of seen what [Tony] Romo did with him today, ... Cause Romo was with him on scout team. And Romo just kept throwing him the ball because he was so much bigger. He was battling [Barry] Church, he’s battling [Byron] Jones, he’s battling [J.J.] Wilcox and [Jeff] Heath. The kid just kept making plays. The problem is not the athletic ability, it’s the mental side…he just hasn’t played football”

here is a video of a Mcclay gushing about Rico.

Dez Bryant was a $12 million/year receiver with Romo as his QB. Did he forget how to be a $12 million guy?

waldoputty

Reaction score
Dez Bryant was a $12 million/year receiver with Romo as his QB. Did he forget how to be a $12 million guy?

many would say he declined after the foot injury
i think most would argue that his play has declined in the last 3 years.
so u r going to put it all on dak?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
“I will say this. I had people come up to me and say, cause I was always curious about Rico [Gathers], I had people come up to me and say ‘You ought-of seen what [Tony] Romo did with him today, ... Cause Romo was with him on scout team. And Romo just kept throwing him the ball because he was so much bigger. He was battling [Barry] Church, he’s battling [Byron] Jones, he’s battling [J.J.] Wilcox and [Jeff] Heath. The kid just kept making plays. The problem is not the athletic ability, it’s the mental side…he just hasn’t played football”

Great find this! I remember rumors of the story, but never saw the full details.

Romo. Dez isn't the only guy who was more valuable with Tony at QB. Whether it's jump balls or post ups, the QB throwing the ball makes a big difference.

If the problem for Rico is still the mental side, as in he doesn't know the playbook, they should hold him out of practice and put him in class until he has learned the plays. You don't need pads or a uniform to learn plays. You shouldn't get them until you do.

He doesn't seem mentally handicapped. He just doesn't put the work in. Well, make him. Sit him in class until he learns.

Coaching and management are jobs too. If learning is the problem, focus on the learning. We didn't draft Rico for his study habits. He works for the Cowboys. Manage him to do his job.

This is his 3rd year now. *Everyone* needs to start doing their jobs, *starting* with the coaches. They're responsible for getting the most out of their players.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Great find this! I remember rumors of the story, but never saw the full details.

Romo. Dez isn't the only guy who was more valuable with Tony at QB. Whether it's jump balls or post ups, the QB throwing the ball makes a big difference.

If the problem for Rico is still the mental side, as in he doesn't know the playbook, they should hold him out of practice and put him in class until he has learned the plays. You don't need pads or a uniform to learn plays. You shouldn't get them until you do.

He doesn't seem mentally handicapped. He just doesn't put the work in. Well, make him. Sit him in class until he learns.

Coaching and management are jobs too. If learning is the problem, focus on the learning. We didn't draft Rico for his study habits. He works for the Cowboys. Manage him to do his job.

This is his 3rd year now. *Everyone* needs to start doing their jobs, *starting* with the coaches. They're responsible for getting the most out of their players.

i think most agree he needs reps. it is not that he does not understand what a slant route or other routes are, but it is what to do in various situations.
now he may even know what he is supposed to do, but it needs to be second nature.
or it becomes 'taking too long to think'
they should have removed him from ir
if they did, he would have gotten a much better and fairer shot
what he needs is reps and more reps