McClay (2017) on Rico in practice - "We can't stop him" against 1st teamers **merged**

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
no i did not say that.
marty is faster and almost as big.
i have not seen marty plays for a long time so i do not recall how he compares to rico in terms of receiving.
marty is certain lower risk and knows football
so he is lower risk of the two.
marty has so much more upside than the 3 jag tes other than rico.
marty was listed at 6'6" and 275...5 lbs lighter.... and he played college ball and he was a 2nd round pick.... and again...you compared rico to Marty B

and you failed to answer my other question....why didnt' Bilicheck, perhaps the best coach ever and Brady a GOAT didn't just throw fade jump ball to Marty inside the redzone all the time? at 6'6" and 275 and faster than Rico and big catch radius, he would have been unstoppable......

waldoputty

Reaction score
Drill him in class til he gets the right answers.

I had a great math teacher in high school. He was likely the best in the state. It was only Hawaii, but I wouldn't doubt that he was the best in the nation.

He was annoyed that we hadn't seemed to have learned trigonometry in the previous trig course that was prep for the calculus course. So he went back and taught us trig for a month. He would walk through the class every day and ask you for a formula. If you got it right without hesitation, you were ok. If you hesitated for a moment, you got -1 from your quarterly grade.

We learned trig. We gave formulas without hesitation. I think over 80% of the class got 5s on the AP calc exam.

Teaching is a job. Teaching is a skill. His attitude toward teaching, which he stated in class once, was "You guys are smart enough. If you aren't learning, it's my fault."

Sure, Rico is a jerk off. But he's smart enough to learn his assignments. If he isn't learning, it's also on the coaches. Get it done.

You don't need pads to know what to do when. Let him learn it in class first. Without hesitation. Then let him transfer it to the field.

They should really have plays and assignments as video games for the players. Anyone know if they do?

i think there is a simulator for qbs and the cowboys were supposed to have got that.
not sure what happened to it.
if that does not work, order the star trek holodeck

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Drill him in class til he gets the right answers.

I had a great math teacher in high school. He was likely the best in the state. It was only Hawaii, but I wouldn't doubt that he was the best in the nation.

He was annoyed that we hadn't seemed to have learned trigonometry in the previous trig course that was prep for the calculus course. So he went back and taught us trig for a month. He would walk through the class every day and ask you for a formula. If you got it right without hesitation, you were ok. If you hesitated for a moment, you got -1 from your quarterly grade.

We learned trig. We gave formulas without hesitation. I think over 80% of the class got 5s on the AP calc exam.

Teaching is a job. Teaching is a skill. His attitude toward teaching, which he stated in class once, was "You guys are smart enough. If you aren't learning, it's my fault."

Sure, Rico is a jerk off. But he's smart enough to learn his assignments. If he isn't learning, it's also on the coaches. Get it done.

You don't need pads to know what to do when. Let him learn it in class first. Without hesitation. Then let him transfer it to the field.

They should really have plays and assignments as video games for the players. Anyone know if they do?
so dedicate resources, time and money to Rico and ignore the other 90 players....because Rico has shown so much football potential.... he is such a freak he deserves that level of attention from the coaches.. I think Jerry should have hired a coach, a TE coach just for Rico, I mean he is an unstoppable force of imagination

waldoputty

Reaction score
marty was listed at 6'6" and 275...5 lbs lighter.... and he played college ball and he was a 2nd round pick.... and again...you compared rico to Marty B

and you failed to answer my other question....why didnt' Bilicheck, perhaps the best coach ever and Brady a GOAT didn't just throw fade jump ball to Marty inside the redzone all the time? at 6'6" and 275 and faster than Rico and big catch radius, he would have been unstoppable......

i did answer.
perhaps marty's talent may be in other areas rather than catching the fade pass.
good coaches take advantage of the strength of players.
rico was ncaa leading rebounder with ridiculous numbers.
it takes a certain kind of brain talent to do that, and marty may not have that.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
lots of basketball players the size of rico but they were not the rebouding leader in ncaa.
it takes more than size.
it takes talent like hand-to-eye coordination and the ability to track and project ball path like a second nature.
btw, rico was ranked 49th in the NCAA in rebounding his last year in college. so there were 48 other NCAA rebounding leaders better than him....still want to go there with the BS?

waldoputty

Reaction score
so dedicate resources, time and money to Rico and ignore the other 90 players....because Rico has shown so much football potential.... he is such a freak he deserves that level of attention from the coaches.. I think Jerry should have hired a coach, a TE coach just for Rico, I mean he is an unstoppable force of imagination

"unstoppable" came from mcclay, not me.
jerry makes plenty of money even to hire a coach for every player, as 90*100k = 9 million
and if you restrict the personal coach to starters and everyone with serious potential, then that is a drop in the bucket.

problem is a coach does not do it by itself
he needs reps in game-like practice
furthermore, nfl practice rules really hurt players like rico

waldoputty

Reaction score

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Wow, Putty has been talking about you throughout this thread :lmao2:Now do you feel Rico will make the Cowboys 53 and be a big part of the team ????
What's a Rico?o_O

Ole Rico has had his most impressive performances during training camp within the last week and is finally looking like the playmaker we once saw. But making a one handed catch doesn't make you an instant TE let alone a good one.

The main question here is can he stay healthy enough to have a chance at making the main roster. Rico would need to be pretty productive to surpass any of the other players currently at the TE position. That said DD, Rico is a bust. Buh bye Rico.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Fancy that -- McClay is saying one thing and Garrett is saying something entirely different. This staff desperately needs to get their **** together and wisely decide upon what the best course of action is moving forward. Perhaps the upcoming playoff game should serve to shed some meaningful light upon what realistic course to take as they head toward a decision that could easily affect the Cowboys' future quite drastically in the years to come. Here's hoping both Rico and Schultz are allotted some meaningful reps to present a good case for their futures. Any real GM and his staff would surely see to that.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
plenty of articles of rico lacking reps and not knowing football.
those can be learned if given time and reps.
but cannot get reps when on ir restricted from practicing.
yes, give him 10 years...there are expectations of how quickly NFL players need to learn, how they learn, etc. there are great players in the NFL, tons of them and will continue to be....to invest so much in some one...that can only give you a fade route after 3 years...cut your losses and move on and look for the next great TE..... its the NFL...he ain't worth it.....and all recent articles and reports from camp say the same thing...tale of the tape in watching the games concur that...he is now probably as good as some big time high school players in his knowledge and ability