McClay (2017) on Rico in practice - "We can't stop him" against 1st teamers **merged**

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
ok, so u r saying rico 'forgot' how to be "unstoppable".

or perhaps rico 'lost' his talent?

unstoppable is a pretty strong word and it came from mcclay :lmao:
no...rico was not unstoppable..... one comment is not the final decision on anything...that's your failure to understand...he made a comment at the time based on information he had and what he had seen...since then Rico has proven he is not unstoppable because he never improved his craft and others figured him out...not sure why that concept is so difficult for you to understand and you keep going back to a single statement that's two years old and has zero relevance to what we know today

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I recall that statement and at the time was more concerned about our secondary than that TE. He's not the only tall receiver.

There is no doubt, he was an intriguing prospect but they keep talking about him needing more playing time but they don't give it to him. Is he serious about the position or not?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
To me, Rico is like a double edged sword, and the other 3 guys are like sparring blades.

Rico can make plays and hurt the other team, but he might also hurt his own team from not knowing what he's doing. The other three all pretty much seem identical. They might be reliable and won't hurt you, but they're also not going to do anything to hurt your opponent.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I agree that Rico and Romo worked better than the current Dak and Rico. He might NEVER reach his potential with Dak and the system Linnehan runs, and with every roster spot so vital, with bigger needs elsewhere, I can see the argument that says “Ditch Rico”. But we all KNOW that if we do, some NFCE team (or the Pats, Steelers or Packers) will scoop him up and develop him into a real weapon.
or, maybe he doesn't make a roster or maybe he does and he continues to suck...I think there is a higher probability of these two than your worry about him becoming something good somewhere else.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Toots? That's not going to go over well with Putty :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Instead that's keep this thread on trac with how Rico is going to help the Cowboys win the Super Bowl this year. :starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin:
Rico will be a monster in the Red Zone and move the chains the rest of the way down the field. Go Rico Go.

PS and you too "Toots" :lmao:
Rico will be the best fade route runner ever...I mean ever...I mean how are you going to stop his catch radius....:muttley::muttley:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
from foxsports - https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story...eakout-prospect-tight-end-rico-gathers-022217
According to DallasCowboys.com writer and former NFL scout Bryan Broaddus, Gathers is a player to keep an eye on this season:
I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if Rico Gathers was the player on this roster that makes the biggest jump contribution wise from last season to next season. One of the best things to happen to Gathers was that he had the opportunity to work with Tony Romo. Folks that I had the chance to visit with after the season told me Gathers wore the defense out during these practices.

You've got to remember that this was said in 2017. There hasn't been near the buzz about him this training camp and seem to be questions about being able to trust him to know his assignments. Maybe more progress was expected or hoped for by the staff.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
i think everyone agrees dak does not throw a lot of fades, but it is not as if he does not throw it.
but why not give him the best weapon for that route to help?
putting rico out there in the red zone makes the defending complicated.

you can easily have a redzone (3rd down) scenario that includes
1. zeke in backfield
2. austin as wr goes in motion for sweep or decoy
3. rico lined up in slot or wide
4. the best wr for catching a slant
5. dak is always a threat to run
and page two of waldo playbook....now we have a complete offense to run

:popcorn:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
from foxsports - https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story...eakout-prospect-tight-end-rico-gathers-022217
According to DallasCowboys.com writer and former NFL scout Bryan Broaddus, Gathers is a player to keep an eye on this season:
I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if Rico Gathers was the player on this roster that makes the biggest jump contribution wise from last season to next season. One of the best things to happen to Gathers was that he had the opportunity to work with Tony Romo. Folks that I had the chance to visit with after the season told me Gathers wore the defense out during these practices.
you do understand he was predicting and giving an opinion and not stating facts.... he said keep an eye....and wouldn't be surprised.....

but then he actually had to do it and he failed....oh well...moving on

ESisback

Reaction score
or, maybe he doesn't make a roster or maybe he does and he continues to suck...I think there is a higher probability of these two than your worry about him becoming something good somewhere else.

Maybe. Who knows? We’re all just speculating.

waldoputty

Reaction score
you can't be that desperate and in love with Rico

this article you keep pointing to at this point in time is totally irrelevant. its from two years ago prior to training camp...since then there are more information that's available...more practices....and more rico observations that makes this article totally moot....which means he probably reached his ceiling in may of 2017....

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...d-for-release-after-Cardinals-loss-121067792/

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article216602775.html

".....Geoff Swaim, Blake Jarwin and rookie Dalton Schultz remain ahead because they still have a better understanding of all aspects of the game...."

further more.....

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article216602775.html

".....Well, that is tough to say, Gathers has had a pretty mundane camp up until the last three or four days. He has not really done anything to stand out as the next sure thing at the tight end position but he has not done anything to holster any optimism that Dallas Cowboy fans have had for him....."

and even more recent articles....

https://insidethestar.com/jerry-jones-shines-light-on-rico-gathers-future-sort-of/

and after three years of being in the NFL...

".....He blocks well when he's blocking the right man," said Jones......."

and

"....The sad truth is, Rico Gathers has been his own worst enemy since entering the NFL with the Dallas Cowboys. He's admittted he wasn't as focused on football as he should've been early on in the process and it's coming back to haunt him now........"

NFL...stands for not for long....what have you done for me lately....apprantley Rico hasn't done much and you want to put him in the HOF based on a Will McClay comment from 2 years ago

"......

May 2017 is not 2 years from today - except in ur universe.
talent cannot be learned.
knowledge can be.
but he needed reps
not on the ir like in 2017 with the wasted season