McClay (2017) on Rico in practice - "We can't stop him" against 1st teamers **merged**

NotForLong

Reaction score
:dance:

oh crap..got pumped without reading.
I thought this was recent.
:banghead:
Romo was slicing and dicing the 1st team D in practice daily late in 2016. Entire practices with the ball not hitting the ground. So, sorry if I'm disappointed in the context.
Isnt that the season Romo was kept out of the lineup?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
During DallasCowboys.Com Cowboys Break, Steve Eatman asked Will McClay about Rico Gathers and everything sounds very promising. McClay even went on to say, “We can’t stop him”. And Rico/Romo were going against 1st teamers in byron jones, church and heath.

So his passcatching was called "unstoppable" against 1st teamers, but yet there are people who claim Rico is nothing special? That was in 2017, so people seriously now think he 'forgot' how to be unstoppable???

https://thesportsdaily.com/2017/05/03/will-mcclay-on-rico-gathers-we-cant-stop-him/

furthermore, Broaddus said during an episode of The Draft Show this week. “I will say this. I had people come up to me and say, cause I was always curious about Rico [Gathers], I had people come up to me and say ‘You ought-of seen what [Tony] Romo did with him today, ... Cause Romo was with him on scout team. And Romo just kept throwing him the ball because he was so much bigger. He was battling [Barry] Church, he’s battling [Byron] Jones, he’s battling [J.J.] Wilcox and [Jeff] Heath. The kid just kept making plays. The problem is not the athletic ability, it’s the mental side…he just hasn’t played football”

here is a video of a Mcclay gushing about Rico.

I am hopeful they have something in Rico but this is nonsense on every level.

1. The issue with Rico was never his pass catching or mismatch skills.
2. Romo played backyard wave you to a spot ball.
3. After McClay said all this they put Rico on elective IR.
4. Dallas isn't playing him versus even 2nd team defenses right now. He's getting bum minutes versus other bums.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Dak absolutely struggles to throw a fade.

fwiw, it took Romo a few years to throw it well consistently too.

i think everyone agrees dak does not throw a lot of fades, but it is not as if he does not throw it.
but why not give him the best weapon for that route to help?
putting rico out there in the red zone makes the defending complicated.

you can easily have a redzone (3rd down) scenario that includes
1. zeke in backfield
2. austin as wr goes in motion for sweep or decoy
3. rico lined up in slot or wide
4. the best wr for catching a slant
5. dak is always a threat to run

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That’s not this year. He isn’t hardly even getting time with the 1s.

I think the article was saying the 1s couldn't stop him, not that he was playing with them. Although it sounds like they had a great scout team QB :)

waldoputty

Reaction score
I am hopeful they have something in Rico but this is nonsense on every level.

1. The issue with Rico was never his pass catching or mismatch skills.
2. Romo played backyard wave you to a spot ball.
3. After McClay said all this they put Rico on elective IR.
4. Dallas isn't playing him versus even 2nd team defenses right now. He's getting bum minutes versus other bums.

i did not create the mcclay quotes, but just re-reported it.
what was said in 2017 is totally logically inconsistent with what is happening now.
furthermore, rico makes plays when given opportunities.

if we all agree rico has amazing pass catching, they should have taken him off ir when he recovered.
instead he most of lost a season of reps.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
i think everyone agrees dak does not throw a lot of fades, but it is not as if he does not throw it.

1. zeke in backfield
Well it doesn't matter if Dak throws a lot of them or not...he's not particularly good at it. Just like the back shoulder.

But I agree about Rico, I think it's a no-brainer for him to be on the roster.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Dude can't be trusted to do the right thing from play to play.
That's it and that's all.

"Unstoppable"... whatever.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I think the article was saying the 1s couldn't stop him, not that he was playing with them. Although it sounds like they had a great scout team QB :)

the videos show that the dbs look helpless like 8th graders trying to guard 12th graders

waldoputty

Reaction score
from foxsports - https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story...eakout-prospect-tight-end-rico-gathers-022217
According to DallasCowboys.com writer and former NFL scout Bryan Broaddus, Gathers is a player to keep an eye on this season:
I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if Rico Gathers was the player on this roster that makes the biggest jump contribution wise from last season to next season. One of the best things to happen to Gathers was that he had the opportunity to work with Tony Romo. Folks that I had the chance to visit with after the season told me Gathers wore the defense out during these practices.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score

1. zeke in backfield

Now why would they throw a fade in the redzone to a 6'8"-285lb former basketball standout, who made a living in college boxing people out and throwing down ally-oops, when they have Beasley & Williams? Your logic is the complete opposite as to how Redz thinks. I think he enjoys it when guys fail just so he can clap in their face and then pat their booties. Personally, I think you're on to something here! :p

dallasdave

Reaction score

1. zeke in backfield
Rico RED Zone :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

dallasdave

Reaction score
from foxsports - https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story...eakout-prospect-tight-end-rico-gathers-022217
According to DallasCowboys.com writer and former NFL scout Bryan Broaddus, Gathers is a player to keep an eye on this season:
I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if Rico Gathers was the player on this roster that makes the biggest jump contribution wise from last season to next season. One of the best things to happen to Gathers was that he had the opportunity to work with Tony Romo. Folks that I had the chance to visit with after the season told me Gathers wore the defense out during these practices.
Rico the BEAST:yourock::yourock::yourock:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I’m guessing your under the impression we won’t “suck” with Rico?

We absolutely could. But I'd rather the position suck with someone with a chance to be very good before we'd wind up settling for the vanilla we have now anyways. I'd take a re-tread vet over what we have now while those youngins "develop."

cern

Reaction score
with the exception of heath, all the aforementioned d-backs are gone. they couldn't cover anyone.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
During DallasCowboys.Com Cowboys Break, Steve Eatman asked Will McClay about Rico Gathers and everything sounds very promising. McClay even went on to say, “We can’t stop him”. And Rico/Romo were going against 1st teamers in byron jones, church and heath.

So his passcatching was called "unstoppable" against 1st teamers, but yet there are people who claim Rico is nothing special? That was in 2017, so people seriously now think he 'forgot' how to be unstoppable???

https://thesportsdaily.com/2017/05/03/will-mcclay-on-rico-gathers-we-cant-stop-him/

furthermore, Broaddus said during an episode of The Draft Show this week. “I will say this. I had people come up to me and say, cause I was always curious about Rico [Gathers], I had people come up to me and say ‘You ought-of seen what [Tony] Romo did with him today, ... Cause Romo was with him on scout team. And Romo just kept throwing him the ball because he was so much bigger. He was battling [Barry] Church, he’s battling [Byron] Jones, he’s battling [J.J.] Wilcox and [Jeff] Heath. The kid just kept making plays. The problem is not the athletic ability, it’s the mental side…he just hasn’t played football”

here is a video of a Mcclay gushing about Rico.

you can't be that desperate and in love with Rico

this article you keep pointing to at this point in time is totally irrelevant. its from two years ago prior to training camp...since then there are more information that's available...more practices....and more rico observations that makes this article totally moot....which means he probably reached his ceiling in may of 2017....

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...d-for-release-after-Cardinals-loss-121067792/

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article216602775.html

".....Geoff Swaim, Blake Jarwin and rookie Dalton Schultz remain ahead because they still have a better understanding of all aspects of the game...."

further more.....

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article216602775.html

".....Well, that is tough to say, Gathers has had a pretty mundane camp up until the last three or four days. He has not really done anything to stand out as the next sure thing at the tight end position but he has not done anything to holster any optimism that Dallas Cowboy fans have had for him....."

and even more recent articles....

https://insidethestar.com/jerry-jones-shines-light-on-rico-gathers-future-sort-of/

and after three years of being in the NFL...

".....He blocks well when he's blocking the right man," said Jones......."

and

"....The sad truth is, Rico Gathers has been his own worst enemy since entering the NFL with the Dallas Cowboys. He's admittted he wasn't as focused on football as he should've been early on in the process and it's coming back to haunt him now........"

NFL...stands for not for long....what have you done for me lately....apprantley Rico hasn't done much and you want to put him in the HOF based on a Will McClay comment from 2 years ago

"......