Twitter: McClay on the Texans radar for new GM?

lkelly

Reaction score
I believe McClay declined to interview last time. Houston is going through GMs like Jerry goes through bottles of Johnny Walker. I’m guessing that O’Brien is about as easy to work with as Parcells. He will demand one of his buddies. In the end such spoiled child behavior usually ends up in a bunch of pink slips. Not sure how McClay would want to wade into that pool of pee.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
McClay's name was thrown in just because every click bait hustler likes to add the Cowboys into their story. They can't help themselves.

That, and he's never going to be GM for the Cowboys. Nepotism > results when it comes to the Cowboys front office.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
They spoke with McClay last year and it he wasn't interested. The rumor was he wouldn't have as much power as he does here.
Stole my thunder. McClay is basically a GM now and likely getting paid as such. He has more power than a GM....why would he leave if he is getting compensated fairly.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
McClay's child is a huge Cowboys fan, and his family loves living in Dallas. McClay is not going anywhere.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Im sure he will want more then money to stay if hes offered a true GM job with Power and money elsewhere..jerry and Stephen will have to give him the GM title..

eromeopolk

Reaction score
That Texans team is a nice gig. If I'm McClay I'd make them give me that GM title or I'm going to Houston to get it.
They gave him the Vice President of Player Personnel to keep him from the Texans last time. His mother is older and lives in Houston. However, the Jones family was very generous to him when his father was sick paying for stay and travel. But, I do not think it is enough to stay as he would have greater control as the McNair family seems to be hands off unlike their father.

This will be a huge lost because it would throw the Personnel dept. in the hands of Chris Hall who has never played or coached football. Also, if you look at the recent scout hires, they have been ex-school teachers (ie Social Studies etc.). That is not the hire that McClay did with Lionel Vital. If McClay leaves and Vital is not promoted to his position, we are back to Dumbo GM and Son personnel decisions with no one having a stern handle on the steering wheel to put together the personnel decision that make champions with.good drafts and UDFA signings.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That Texans team is a nice gig. If I'm McClay I'd make them give me that GM title or I'm going to Houston to get it.
You don't play hardball like that with Jerry Jones. He'd toss your behind out on the street for just suggesting that deal.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I guessing this is a reason McClay would have min interest for this job. Could possibly be a job with no teeth.....

Brian Gaine’s strained relationship with Bill O’Brien a factor in his firing
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 8, 2019, 5:21 AM EDT

The Texans fired General Manager Brian Gaine on Friday in part because he and head coach Bill O’Brien were not seeing eye to eye.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports Gaine’s relationship with O’Brien had eroded.

Texans Chairman Cal McNair decided to fire Gaine not for any one reason but simply because he didn’t think the organization was going in the right direction. Gaine was under contract through the 2022 season, so firing him now is going to be an expensive decision.

Now the question is how much influence O’Brien will have over McNair’s decision in hiring the next G.M. If O’Brien has any say in it, Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio would certainly be a strong candidate. The Texans tried to interview Caserio before hiring Gaine, and the Patriots blocked the interview. O’Brien and Caserio worked together in New England and are close friends.

Gaine was not O’Brien’s guy. Now we’ll see if McNair decides to hire the guy O’Brien wants.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's no secret that Will McClay is already being very well paid like a GM and that he's already turned down the Texans. Reportedly, he's also been highly satisfied with his situation in Dallas, where Jerry would routinely take the heat if and when things go poorly. Let's hope that continues. I'd be no less than stunned if he decided to accept a deal with any other team, without consulting Jerry first to possibly beat that team's offer.

Last edited:

ksadler1

Reaction score
That, and he's never going to be GM for the Cowboys. Nepotism > results when it comes to the Cowboys front office.

I'm just glad l got to witness the Landry and Staubach years and the Jimmy and Aikman years. Some of you may never witness those again, esp with Jerry Jr waiting in the wings. It's people like McClay that still gives a glimmer of hope. If they let him walk, good luck. . .

ksadler1

Reaction score
It's no secret that Will McClay is already being very well paid like a GM and that he's already turned down the Texans. Reportedly, he's also been highly satisfied with his situation in Dallas, where Jerry would routinely take the heat if and when things go poorly. Let's hope that continues. I'd be no less than stunned if he decided to accept a deal with any other team, without consulting Jerry first to possibly beat that team's offer.

Gotta wonder how he feels about a future with Stephen in charge tho...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You don't play hardball like that with Jerry Jones. He'd toss your behind out on the street for just suggesting that deal.
That’s fine. You’d have the GM title with the Texans. At least you’d get the credit you deserve.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Gotta wonder how he feels about a future with Stephen in charge tho...

That's something we're unlikely to discover unless he decides to leave.

He left no doubt last year that he was 100% satisfied with his situation.

Last edited: