McDowell Meeting Goes Well Deal Will Be Pending Medical Information

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Don't expect to get many if any details on his medical issues.

He and his family have been very secretive about it and they reminded Seattle of the HIPPA privacy laws which kept the Seahawks from releasing much info or even discussing it in any detail.

I'm pretty sure his family did not have to remind the team to follow federal law regarding medical issues.

Those laws do not pertain to issues relevant to competitive balance (e.g., whether a player on your active roster has any chance to play) but for guys on NFI, they certainly do. Not a damn team in this league that does not have staff that clearly understand those distinctions.

RS12

Reaction score
Cowboys were one of his 30 visit teams the year he got drafted. So they were interested back then. Kicking the tires is fine but there should be little to no guarenteed money involved.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
ERFA with us this year? Is he limited to ERFA terms this year with whatever team he signs with?

But wasn't he NFI his entire Seahawks' career, so that he has 0 accrued years so far, and wouldn't be a RFA until 2022?
Info is tough to come by.... some have him as paid last year, others not

either way his contract will be small with a couple years control at worst

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith was considered a top 5 talent before his career threatening injury dropped him to our 2nd round pick.

Malik McDowell was the 35th pick which shows talent but not Jaylon Smith top 5 talent.

There are 2nd rounders that are some of the best players at their position in the league and yes it would be great to have a Jaylon Smith 2.0 but it is highly unlikely. Jaylon Smith getting back to what he is.
He was also a top 5 or 10 talent, but he had red flags that made him fall in the draft.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith was a hard worker and zero character concerns.

That’s not the case with McDowell.

I am all for taking a flier on him but people should temper their expectations that we got some sort of steal here.
This is exactly right. To compare Jaylon Smith to the knucklehead like McDowell is comparing apples to oranges.

Mr. Smith was NEVER a problem, the guy worked his *** off to get back to your team after a devastating injury. If McDowell ever sees the field even in a pre-season game, I’d be shocked.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he (McDowell) already burned thru his 3.2 million dollar signing bonus already. All this guy does is make piss poor decisions.

Wood

Reaction score
Cowboys were one of his 30 visit teams the year he got drafted. So they were interested back then. Kicking the tires is fine but there should be little to no guarenteed money involved.

thats what I am thinking. Give him basically a training camp contract (non guarenteed). If I remember correctly he suffered significant brain trauma in that accident. Usually takes brain a year to recover.

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score
There are additional tweets from other sources saying the team is leaning towards signing him if cleared. If he is indeed cleared, this will be a great chance signing.

The Guy Was a Terror Against My OS Buckeyes and Against College Teams...

Wood

Reaction score
It would be fitting if Dallas signed Malik to replace Irving.

Here is video of Malik arrest (this was after his injury and we have no way of knowing if that injury was effecting his behavior)

Mr_437

Reaction score
It would be fitting if Dallas signed Malik to replace Irving.

Here is video of Malik arrest (this was after his injury and we have no way of knowing if that injury was effecting his behavior)

LMAO!!!
He's doing just fine.
Sign him up, MM will definitely keep things interesting. "I'm rich bxtxh" - MM

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Hard for me to get excited about this one.

Extremely low cost, high risk of failure, very high upside.

I like the strategy as a whole a lot, but don't get too excited about any particular player until we start seeing some of their upside pan out.

These no cost injury recovery NFI players are all upside. If they can't recover, they don't even ever eat a roster spot.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm pretty sure his family did not have to remind the team to follow federal law regarding medical issues.

Those laws do not pertain to issues relevant to competitive balance (e.g., whether a player on your active roster has any chance to play) but for guys on NFI, they certainly do. Not a damn team in this league that does not have staff that clearly understand those distinctions.

Pete Carroll said it.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Dr. Putty...

i said wild guess, right :lmao::lmao::lmao:
at least u did not say putty, medicine woman
partially detached retina is very scary, if true, as it can detached.
though it is a mechanical thing so they could get a handle on that.
now if it is a hemorrhage things, then it is truly scary
much harder to predict etc.
the fact they would talk suggest it is not hemorrhaging... but who knows