Twitter: McGovern at FB is a hit

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
LOL -- there's nothing an offensive lineman enjoys more than getting an opportunity to be an offensive threat. Mac is getting that opportunity now and is obviously enjoying it to no end. As a lineman, he's getting the opportunity to get in on a more glorious aspect of playing football. I think we're enjoying it almost as much as he does. Here's hoping it continues to our great pleasure and to the team's extra success, as well. :)

Definitely, and it's nice to have a Head Coach that's smart enough to know that and come up with the brilliant idea (and it is brilliant) to have one at FB. McCarthy is a genius for that idea.

Hardline

Reaction score
McGovern needs to be a starting left guard or center.
Let Connor Williams handle fullback duties..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Ok...someone help me out here

What backup guard or center wouldn't be a good FB on the plays highlighted :huh:

I'm happy we're finding a way to use him and would love to see him supplant Connor Williams, but...not sure if this is anything special

This is why the idea was brilliant. McGovern isn't playing much? Put him at FB. Now he gets a running start, and you have 6 linemen on the field. Brilliant!!!

Beaker42

Reaction score
I LOVED this move! Why have your best 5 lineman on the field when you can have your best 6? Great move.
It’s not great because Williams should be the FB and not McGovern. McGovern should be starting LG.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Poor Jackie....long and great career...Hall of Famer.....and he is best remembered for a dropped TD pass that cost the Cowboys a SB win.
Wrong.

Do you KNOW how much football was remaining?

Smith's drop didn't win nor lose that game.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Nope the hole opened up right and he missed it. Went left and then by the time he saw it, it was too late. Thats his problem. Tunnel vision and he always dives right up the middle.

Sorry, your wrong on this one CowboyRoy.

The play was designed to run through the A gap… basically running the ball up the gut, smash mouth football. You can tell from the snap of the ball the center and left side of the OL pushed Left of the A gap.. The right side of the OL was to push right, essentially parting the “Red Sea”. More evidence making this clear is..both Zeke and McGovern were running toward the A gap at the start of the play.

Unfortunately, Fletcher Cox blew up the play from the start. Martin needed to set on Cox’s inside shoulder and flip toward the right side like Steele was able to do (Steele was able to set right, but totally wiffed on the block). Instead, Cox flew to Martin’s inside shoulder with his outside shoulder pushing toward said A gap. At that point, Zack’s only recourse is to continue blocking and hope Zeke manages to redirect, which he did.. and so did McGovern for that matter(you can see McGovern shuffle/adjust his feet on the fly when he sees Martin is beat to the inside). With the play design blown up from the start.. It’s amazing that Zeke managed to get positive yardage at all. 90% of the time.. that’s a TFL. Zeke deserves some credit for his improvisation.

Side note: I’m not surprised Cox beat Martin, as both players are future HOF’s.. what aggravates me is how badly Steele missed on that play. If Steele manages any half-decent block, that could have been an easy 2nd level play. To be fair to Steele though.. had the play worked as designed, he wouldn’t have had to block much… he still could have done a better job imo

Last edited:

cowboyec

Reaction score
i love mccarthy's willingness to try anything...not afraid if it fails.
this is one of my favorite formations.
i hope we see the next phase or evolution of mcgovern at full-back....let the big hoss have a carry or 2.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Love this guy. Honestly, he should be starting at LG, I’m assuming next year he will. I think I’d do it this year in time for the Playoffs, but then we’d miss him at fullback so I’m torn.