McGregor vs Mayweather

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Right, and how many parents want their kids to practice getting blows to the head?

It's more likely that they do karate or tae kwon do, then morph to MMA when their testosterone gets out of control.

Boxing had better focus of excitement with safety, or it will likely die.

By the same token, MMA should stop allowing any pummelling once a fighter is down.
MMA actually shouldn't stop blows once a fighter is down.
They've already stopped blows to the head of a downed opponent.
Each state can add or regulate the sport but punches on the guard out of guard is a key element of the sport that would render is totally neutered.

Boxing has the challenge that yes, they need to make the sport rewarding enough that young people still do it, while making is safe enough that they can, yet keep it exciting enough to get people to watch.

The far shorter, far less accumulation style MMA fights is a good way to do a lot of that.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
MMA requires a lot of strength and exertion to hold someone in guard, with no gi, especially when sweaty. That's a lot of work.
Even harder to get up from the bottom. And fighting to either land or escape takedowns are insanely taxing.
That's the beauty of MMA and why we've seen boxer after boxer come to MMA and learn the first thing is defensive wrestling.
Then they can box.
Sprawl and brawl, see Chuck Liddell or Rampage Jackson.
That's where the sport was 10-15 years ago.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
That's not necessarily true and again proves how few of you have watched both sports enough to make worthy comments.
Wrestlers have the best cardio of anyone. This is not even questionable.
1000's of boxers have crossed over to MMA and will tell you this.
We've seen actual boxers compete in the UFC after training and they routinely gas out.
Wrestling requires far more cardio than throwing hands.

In this fight Connor gassed because he threw about 100 more punches in the first 3 rounds than Mayweather then tried to keep pace with a fresh Mayweather in rounds 4-5.
Had CM not punched himself out it would have been a different and far more boring fight, that likely ends going the distance with a lopsided decision for FM.. i.e. every other FM fight this century.

It's also because McGregor was the heavier guy by 20 pounds.
Bigger guys gas out faster.

Not necessarily true is the operative phrase.
And I know more than a little about this since I both wrestled and fought in competition karate matches. Boxing matches last longer than wrestling matches and MMA fights. So the cardio training has to be different.
When I was fighting standing up in kickboxing matches and I got tired, I wanted to take my opponent to the ground - sometimes I did and was admonished.
And that's because it was more grueling to stand up and take a pounding than go to the ground and get some measure of relief.
No, having to stand on your feet and moving gets very tiring so you need the cardio to endure standing for 12 rounds of 3 minutes or more.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Can't argue with that, your right! Touche
Guess you can catch a breather if moving while attempting to reverse gets you in tighter and deeper, but dudes gonna start pounding eventually so you got give up something to get something.
Well, often when guys are tired on their feet, they shoot for the takedown. And sometimes when they're down, they're trying to catch their breath.
Yes, I have seen this.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Well, often when guys are tired on their feet, they shoot for the takedown. And sometimes when they're down, they're trying to catch their breath.
Yes, I have seen this.
True,in collegiate style mostly or Greco-Roman Style( but that style is throws and millisecond shoulder pins and are usually over pretty fast).

When you got equally matched 105lbs or 175 lbs weight class that end in a point or two difference they leave everything out on the mat and at the back end of the 3rd and final period,,,one will usually shoot going for the take down and the other is bound and determined to not let that happen ,,so they usually end up looking like a couple of hung in the fence billy goats at the end,,,lol,,, I've seen hard,Sharpe wrestling in 145 lb class where it was constant takedown/ reversal,,,lol final score was something like 30-28, but that was a couple of honed skilled maneuvers that both those particular dudes were good at, poor referee was kinda spinning and almost as winded as those two dudes at the end,,, I've been so gassed I've barely hooked a finger in dudes shoelace to keep a last gasp explosive reversal attempt from him spinning out from under me,,, I won that tournament,,, so to speak,, ,by a shoestring:lmao:

Last edited:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
True,in collegiate style mostly or Greco-Roman Style( but that style is throws and millisecond shoulder pins and are usually over pretty fast).

When you got equally matched 105lbs or 175 lbs weight class that end in a point or two difference they leave everything out on the mat and at the back end of the 3rd and final period,,,one will usually shoot going for the take down and the other is bound and determined to not let that happen ,,so they usually end up looking like a couple of hung in the fence billy goats at the end,,,lol,,, I've seen hard,Sharpe wrestling in 145 lb class where it was constant takedown/ reversal,,,lol final score was something like 30-28, but that was a couple of honed skilled maneuvers that both those particular dudes were good at, poor referee was kinda spinning and almost as winded as those two dudes at the end,,, I've been so gassed I've barely hooked a finger in dudes shoelace to keep a last gasp explosive reversal attempt from him spinning out from under me,,, I won that tournament,,, so to speak,, ,by a shoestring:lmao:
Yeah, I've been there too.
In junior high, we wrestled 3 minutes (1 minute each round). I was sucking wind even then.
When I got high school, I went out for the wrestling team. But I didn't know that the time increased from 1 minute per round to 2 minutes. During a match, I was looking up at the clock and saw the count down from 1 minute and thought the round was over ... then the time change and recalibrated another minute. I was thinking, "I've got another minute?" :omg:
I was already gassed.

Be that as it may, I'll admit maybe I'm wrong on the cardio thing. I've never wrestled or boxed on a world-class level so I won't claim to be an expert. Just giving my observation based on my limited experience.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I spent 7 years as an AAU coach for basketball.

We'd have our players go to high school wrestling practice in the off-season for a change up and they'd be dead exhausted dripping in sweat after 30 minutes.
Many would go throw up.
These were players who ran track and would never tire running games.
I ran a full on fast break tempo.
We played 5-7 games in a weekend every other weekend.

But yes the pace is key. And that's what we saw in the fight. CM fought at an MMA pace. FM fought at a boxing pace.
He stayed cool, calm, collected and took punches when he was freshest and could easily take them.
Then CM wore down and the punches were barely there so FM turned it up.
A veteran boxer woulda gave FM rounds 4-6 and rested. See the Canelo fight.
CM tried to match pace and depleted himself fully.
By round 7 he was just hanging in there on toughness and hoping to survive each round for the break.
Happens to ever kid to ever box. Fall in love with the sport by early knockdowns then once comp is tougher you cant win by early knockout then you learn about deep waters and staying calm, controlling breathing.