McGregor vs Mayweather

haleyrules

Reaction score
No modern fighter can be considered the GOAT unless he at least competed in 15 rd fights. That has always been the difference between a Champion and a contender. How many 15 rd Championship fights did Ray Robinson or say Carlos Monson have?? Best have a closer look at Henry Armstrong or Archie Moore. Get real.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Put them out there all you want. You are not the only person who boxed. I boxed as a young man. My Grandfather was All Service Champion in the 40s, during the War. All my Uncles boxed. My Brothers Boxed, my younger Brother was a Golden Gloves Champ when he was young. He went to the Olympic Trials in 84. He is a professional trainer.

You say I have been disagreeing? Well this is a message board. The idea is to discuss and that includes dissent of opinions.

Mayweather is one of the best counter punchers and defensive fighters I've ever seen but that's one side of the sport. He has relatively little power, he fights in an era where the competition is nothing like what you saw in other decades and he hasn't really fought anybody in awhile. He's always cherry picked his opponents, which is fine. I mean, lots of fighters have done that and it's smart but, it doesn't translate into GOAT for me. Look at this last fight. What great champion fights a title match with an opponent who is basically an exhibition match? Now, to be fair, he saw the pay day and took it, I don't have a problem with that but there is no way that should have been a "Title Fight". It's a joke.

Right now, I would say that there are at least a couple of fighters that I would consider to be better then Mayweather. Ward, Golovkin, Gonzalez, Crawford, Alverez and a few more I'm probably leaving out. You could seriously make a case for that young kid Spence but I think he needs more skins, a few more quality fights.

If we are talking all time, he aint even close IMO. Robinson is probably the GOAT, or at least that's who I would pick. Fought way tougher comp and fought a stupid amount of fights before he even got a shot at a title. 74-1 with 40 1st round KO's before he even got a shot. Robinson went from 1940 to 1950 with only one loss in 131 fights. That loss, to Jake Lamotta, who he had already beaten in 1942 and then came back to beat him again, just 21 days after the loss in the rematch. Most of the losses in his career came much later. They guy fought for 25 years. He fought all comers and gave rematches to anybody who felt like they wanted one.

He fought my Grandfather in an exhibition match, just before DDay. My Grandad said he carried him for 4 rounds and then in the 5th (was a 5 round exhibition), came out and timed him on a perfect combination right on the button. Knocked my Grandfather out in the first minute of the 5th round. My Grandpa said that when he came to, Robinson came into the Locker Room and spent a few hours with him, before he flew back state side. Said he was a hell of a nice guy.

There are many others I would consider to be better then Mayweather Jr., BTW. However, if it is your opinion that the GOAT is Mayweather, I don't have a problem with that. I just don't agree with it and that's OK.

Now THAT is a response, ABQ.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
My father used to say to me. Sonny Liston was the boogie even the boogies were afraid of!! don't get me wrong...he was black.

Liston was pretty scary, back in the day. He was made to order for Clay thou and that's the thing about Boxing. You can have a guy who has the kind of career that would put him among some of the greatest of all time but styles are important. If you find a guy who has that certain style you have issues with, that guy can have 10 losses but give you one or two along the way.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Liston was pretty scary, back in the day. He was made to order for Clay thou and that's the thing about Boxing. You can have a guy who has the kind of career that would put him among some of the greatest of all time but styles are important. If you find a guy who has that certain style you have issues with, that guy can have 10 losses but give you one or two along the way.
Did you know..that ole Sonny boy and friends held the next 3 options on Clays next 3 fights?

jwitten82

Reaction score
again this is simply untrue.
you are completely ignorant of the sport.
i mean, completely.
currently boxing and MMA have eerily similar followings.
26% claim to be MMA fans, 29% boxing fans.
For a sport less than 30 years old it's caught a rapidly declining boxing.

It's fairly obviously which sport plays better to younger audiences with shorter attention spans.

Watching boxers in gloves the size of pillows punch each other is largely boring.
Might as well be watching Dancing with the Stars.

MMA is not at all similar fight to fight.
That's the beauty of different styles.
Styles make fights.

UFC has streaming, free cable content, a Fox deal.
Boxing is just now trying to expand into ESPN on cable and has no streaming rights.
Always easy to point out the people who have never seen or been hit by 8 oz gloves because they call them pillows. Lol it was even on sports science that the gloves make minumum difference, just seems to because mma fighters dont have the punch resistance boxers do

And quit with the boxing is dying stuff, lol, thats been said since Ali left. Also I bet Canelo-GGG sales more than any mma fight this year

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Put them out there all you want. You are not the only person who boxed. I boxed as a young man. My Grandfather was All Service Champion in the 40s, during the War. All my Uncles boxed. My Brothers Boxed, my younger Brother was a Golden Gloves Champ when he was young. He went to the Olympic Trials in 84. He is a professional trainer.

You say I have been disagreeing? Well this is a message board. The idea is to discuss and that includes dissent of opinions.

Mayweather is one of the best counter punchers and defensive fighters I've ever seen but that's one side of the sport. He has relatively little power, he fights in an era where the competition is nothing like what you saw in other decades and he hasn't really fought anybody in awhile. He's always cherry picked his opponents, which is fine. I mean, lots of fighters have done that and it's smart but, it doesn't translate into GOAT for me. Look at this last fight. What great champion fights a title match with an opponent who is basically an exhibition match? Now, to be fair, he saw the pay day and took it, I don't have a problem with that but there is no way that should have been a "Title Fight". It's a joke.

Right now, I would say that there are at least a couple of fighters that I would consider to be better then Mayweather. Ward, Golovkin, Gonzalez, Crawford, Alverez and a few more I'm probably leaving out. You could seriously make a case for that young kid Spence but I think he needs more skins, a few more quality fights.

If we are talking all time, he aint even close IMO. Robinson is probably the GOAT, or at least that's who I would pick. Fought way tougher comp and fought a stupid amount of fights before he even got a shot at a title. 74-1 with 40 1st round KO's before he even got a shot. Robinson went from 1940 to 1950 with only one loss in 131 fights. That loss, to Jake Lamotta, who he had already beaten in 1942 and then came back to beat him again, just 21 days after the loss in the rematch. Most of the losses in his career came much later. They guy fought for 25 years. He fought all comers and gave rematches to anybody who felt like they wanted one.

He fought my Grandfather in an exhibition match, just before DDay. My Grandad said he carried him for 4 rounds and then in the 5th (was a 5 round exhibition), came out and timed him on a perfect combination right on the button. Knocked my Grandfather out in the first minute of the 5th round. My Grandpa said that when he came to, Robinson came into the Locker Room and spent a few hours with him, before he flew back state side. Said he was a hell of a nice guy.

There are many others I would consider to be better then Mayweather Jr., BTW. However, if it is your opinion that the GOAT is Mayweather, I don't have a problem with that. I just don't agree with it and that's OK.
Didn't Julio Casaer Chavez go 85 fights before he lost?

FM was the best managed boxer in history ......... most of it on his own handiwork.... he turned heel so people would buy his boring fights hoping he got knocked out.... but i was never gonna happen

I bet FM took less punches per round of any fighter ever...... he just ran, ducked, dodged and countered enough to win

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Even Chanel Sonnen, one time MMA champ said he quit boxing and went MMA because boxing was too tough
The difference between boxing and MMA is that in MMA you can take a guy to the ground and basically "rest" by tying him up. You can tie a boxer up too, but the refs are quicker to break you up from tying up in boxing than they are in MMA.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
The difference between boxing and MMA is that in MMA you can take a guy to the ground and basically "rest" by tying him up. You can tie a boxer up too, but the refs are quicker to break you up from tying up in boxing than they are in MMA.
I don't think there's a whole lot of "resting " more like a couple of 15' Python snakes fighting ,squeezing and tying up ,,, they are most definitely exerting effort and burning thru stamina,, and when a dude takes a punch with his head pinned on the mat that transfers about x4 the force than where the head can roll and recoil back from the impact.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I don't think there's a whole lot of "resting " more like a couple of 15' Python snakes fighting ,squeezing and tying up ,,, they are most definitely exerting effort and burning thru stamina,, and when a dude takes a punch with his head pinned on the mat that transfers about x4 the force than where the head can roll and recoil back from the impact.
Depends on how skillful you are at tying up a guy in your guard.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Depends on how skillful you are at tying up a guy in your guard.
Can't argue with that, your right! Touche
Guess you can catch a breather if moving while attempting to reverse gets you in tighter and deeper, but dudes gonna start pounding eventually so you got give up something to get something.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He didn't say boxing was harder. He said boxers have better cardio than MMA fighters, and that's true.
That's not necessarily true and again proves how few of you have watched both sports enough to make worthy comments.
Wrestlers have the best cardio of anyone. This is not even questionable.
1000's of boxers have crossed over to MMA and will tell you this.
We've seen actual boxers compete in the UFC after training and they routinely gas out.
Wrestling requires far more cardio than throwing hands.

In this fight Connor gassed because he threw about 100 more punches in the first 3 rounds than Mayweather then tried to keep pace with a fresh Mayweather in rounds 4-5.
Had CM not punched himself out it would have been a different and far more boring fight, that likely ends going the distance with a lopsided decision for FM.. i.e. every other FM fight this century.

It's also because McGregor was the heavier guy by 20 pounds.
Bigger guys gas out faster.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
MMA requires a lot of strength and exertion to hold someone in guard, with no gi, especially when sweaty. That's a lot of work.
anyone with common sense realizes any exercise involving your entire body plus the weight of an entire human being is going to be more difficult than one just involving your arms and head.
40 year old housewives use boxing style workouts to lose weight.
Any 15 year old kid can chest box or shadow box all day provided he doesn't get hit too hard.
only psychopaths or masochists wrestle for fun.

haleyrules

Reaction score
anyone with common sense realizes any exercise involving your entire body plus the weight of an entire human being is going to be more difficult than one just involving your arms and head.
40 year old housewives use boxing style workouts to lose weight.
Any 15 year old kid can chest box or shadow box all day provided he doesn't get hit too hard.
only psychopaths or masochists wrestle for fun.
It hurts sooooo good.:lmao:.