McGregor vs Mayweather

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Mayweather mastered the sport of boxing and the promotion of a heel

Fans either wanted to watch FM paint a defensive and counter punching masterpiece or they hated him so much they wanted to see him killed....... so they overlooked his choice of opponents and bought all the PPVs hoping to see a bloody fight

FM fought everyone out there just not always in the order we wanted
He is the best boxer imo but not fighter or attraction..... he was so good his fights were boring
I never felt that strongly either way about Floyd.
To me he was just clearly the very best of a very poor era.
Kinda like winning a Super Bowl against replacement players.
It's not his fault he so outclassed everyone else and if it were any of our kids, we'd train them the same way Roger did, to avoid getting hit.
I don't begrudge him his success or earnings in any way.
All that said, it's crazy IMHO to pay to watch him fight that style.

To me boxing is pretty much dead.
It'd take a massive overhaul to how it's run, taught and shown to draw me in again.
Or another 19 year old Tyson. 25 year old Ali.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
MMA is no better

They have to put 10 fights on a card and the lesser fights are no different than the main draws
They can last 10 secs or 15 minutes of hugging
They top guys are all 15-8 or 22-11

Their biggest star was an over-rated woman that got demolished by a "nobody"
CM is just another loud mouth self promoter
Their champ just got busted for drugs again

MMA is like the decathlon..... you know the sport Bruce Jenner won
Boxing is the 100m dash............ you win and you are the Fastest Man in the World and it is the main event at any track meet

Ehh, it's perfectly fine for you to feel that way but the reality is MMA is well ahead in terms of growth and being relevant this decade.
And a lot of what you posted is simply false indicating you aren't that familiar with the sport or it's top fighters.
The top MMA guy like Jon Jones don't lose often if at all.

BTW, I've always felt the 200 and 400 were far more impressive races than the 100.
The 100 is almost totally about the start.

Bruce Jenner won the Olympic decathlon like 50 years ago and everyone still knows it.
That's a Jesse Owens type legacy he left.

CM is a loudmouth, self-promoter. He's styled himself heavily after Muhammed Ali and Floyd Mayweather.
He's gonna draw the 2nd biggest pay day in boxing of 2017, after only Floyd.

But the mainstream could care less about pretty much any boxer not named Mayweather and he just retired.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I never felt that strongly either way about Floyd.
To me he was just clearly the very best of a very poor era.
Kinda like winning a Super Bowl against replacement players.
It's not his fault he so outclassed everyone else and if it were any of our kids, we'd train them the same way Roger did, to avoid getting hit.
I don't begrudge him his success or earnings in any way.
All that said, it's crazy IMHO to pay to watch him fight that style.

To me boxing is pretty much dead.
It'd take a massive overhaul to how it's run, taught and shown to draw me in again.
Or another 19 year old Tyson. 25 year old Ali.
The lack of Heavyweights is the biggest problem...... fans want to see power

They also need one governing body and one set of rankings... too much alphabet soup and corruption in the match-ups....WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF etc

They should also go back to Saturday afternoon fights on Wide World of Sports for free on TV... this would allow people to build a following......... having all your fights at midnight on PPV is ridiculous

The Super 6 with the top Super WW a few years back was awesome...... Andre Ward, Carl Froch, MKessler, AAbraham. JTaylor, ADirrell....winner take all and unifies the belts

Triple GGG and Canelo should be a helluva fight
The guy Terrance Crawford is a beast and Anthony Joshua is 19-0 with 19 KOs a Heavyweight

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Ehh, it's perfectly fine for you to feel that way but the reality is MMA is well ahead in terms of growth and being relevant this decade.
And a lot of what you posted is simply false indicating you aren't that familiar with the sport or it's top fighters.
The top MMA guy like Jon Jones don't lose often if at all.

BTW, I've always felt the 200 and 400 were far more impressive races than the 100.
The 100 is almost totally about the start.

Bruce Jenner won the Olympic decathlon like 50 years ago and everyone still knows it.
That's a Jesse Owens type legacy he left.

CM is a loudmouth, self-promoter. He's styled himself heavily after Muhammed Ali and Floyd Mayweather.
He's gonna draw the 2nd biggest pay day in boxing of 2017, after only Floyd.

But the mainstream could care less about pretty much any boxer not named Mayweather and he just retired.
Who are the Kings of MMA????

They are just a bunch of cauliflower eared no names that pass around the belts

The fact they have had 200+ PPVs just shows they have a small but rabid fan base like the WWE

If you watch one MMA event you have seen them all

robbieruff

Reaction score

They also need one governing body and one set of rankings... too much alphabet soup and corruption in the match-ups....WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF etc

They should also go back to Saturday afternoon fights on Wide World of Sports for free on TV... this would allow people to build a following......... having all your fights at midnight on PPV is ridiculous

The Super 6 with the top Super WW a few years back was awesome...... Andre Ward, Carl Froch, MKessler, AAbraham. JTaylor, ADirrell....winner take all and unifies the belts

The guy Terrance Crawford is a beast and Anthony Joshua is 19-0 with 19 KOs a Heavyweight
wow...I'm impressed! a cogent and sane post BK! I didn't know you had it in you! :)

You make some very good points...

jwitten82

Reaction score
Conor Mcgregor released a statement and showed a lot of respect to Floyd. Floyd haters should read it

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Who are the Kings of MMA????

They are just a bunch of cauliflower eared no names that pass around the belts

The fact they have had 200+ PPVs just shows they have a small but rabid fan base like the WWE

If you watch one MMA event you have seen them all
again this is simply untrue.
you are completely ignorant of the sport.
i mean, completely.
currently boxing and MMA have eerily similar followings.
26% claim to be MMA fans, 29% boxing fans.
For a sport less than 30 years old it's caught a rapidly declining boxing.

It's fairly obviously which sport plays better to younger audiences with shorter attention spans.

Watching boxers in gloves the size of pillows punch each other is largely boring.
Might as well be watching Dancing with the Stars.

MMA is not at all similar fight to fight.
That's the beauty of different styles.
Styles make fights.

UFC has streaming, free cable content, a Fox deal.
Boxing is just now trying to expand into ESPN on cable and has no streaming rights.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He is the best, pound for pound. There have been better fighters but Floyd is the best boxer that I've ever seen, and I've watched a ton of boxing and I boxed in college.

His defense is elite, he doesn't usually ever get punched, and he knows how to fill up the scorecard.

Yeah, I don't agree with this at all. Pound for pound, I would not choose Mayweather.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Those were slaps not punches........ CM had no juice behind his punches ...... too off balance

Everyone knew he would wear down if he made it that far......Boxing is 10x tougher than MMA cardio wise.......FM carried him 3 rounds and then toyed with him

True, those were not Ali jabs, and did not inflict significant damage or the old man would have been the one to wear down first.

As it was, the fight was lost when the new boxer had worn his arms out and couldn't protect himself. FM was a bit wild with his punches from his own fatigue at that point, but there were a couple of missed left and right crosses that easily could have led to a KO.

For those who thought the fight ended prematurely, think about the future of Mac and how much of a loss it would be it he got pummelled and brain damaged. The pugilistic sports need to be just as careful as football at this time due the accumulation of evidence for CTE and related brain disorders.

Personally, I like the olympic 3-rounders..........if we could just get unbiased judges.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

The biggest thing right now is modernizing for this century.
And this effects most sports.
People don't buy Showtime as an add on to a 100 dollar cable package much anymore.
Especially people under 40.

So the sport definitely needs to clean up all those things you mentioned above, but also focus on modern content delivery.
You give away fighters fights when they are young, hungry and exciting and they make that money later when they are well recognized.
It's worked forever in that model but it would be nice if the model was more rewarding for file and rank guys so you have more interest in competing in the sport.
The United States is the weakest it has ever been in the sport.
Far easier for kids to wrestle in High School than box.
Far easier to find a martial arts class for your 8 year old then a boxing class.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
True, those were not Ali jabs, and did not inflict significant damage or the old man would have been the one to wear down first.

As it was, the fight was lost when the new boxer had worn his arms out and couldn't protect himself. FM was a bit wild with his punches from his own fatigue at that point, but there were a couple of missed left and right crosses that easily could have led to a KO.

For those who thought the fight ended prematurely, think about the future of Mac and how much of a loss it would be it he got pummelled and brain damaged. The pugilistic sports need to be just as careful as football at this time due the accumulation of evidence for CTE and related brain disorders.

Personally, I like the olympic 3-rounders..........if we could just get unbiased judges.
The entire point of the sport is to punch people. Of course there is risk of CTE there.
And for young/amateur people there should be insane protections.
But for guys making 100m a fight they should be allowed to go out on their shield, not have a ref stop it
The very essence of the sport is risking life and limb.

Conor has looked far more beat up from 3 round fights he won in the UFC then from the 10 round boxing match he was "KO'd" in.
Mostly he looked tired.
About same as me punching versus air for 5 minutes.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
The biggest thing right now is modernizing for this century.
And this effects most sports.
People don't buy Showtime as an add on to a 100 dollar cable package much anymore.
Especially people under 40.

So the sport definitely needs to clean up all those things you mentioned above, but also focus on modern content delivery.
You give away fighters fights when they are young, hungry and exciting and they make that money later when they are well recognized.
It's worked forever in that model but it would be nice if the model was more rewarding for file and rank guys so you have more interest in competing in the sport.
The United States is the weakest it has ever been in the sport.
Far easier for kids to wrestle in High School than box.
Far easier to find a martial arts class for your 8 year old then a boxing class.

Right, and how many parents want their kids to practice getting blows to the head?

It's more likely that they do karate or tae kwon do, then morph to MMA when their testosterone gets out of control.

Boxing had better focus of excitement with safety, or it will likely die.

By the same token, MMA should stop allowing any pummelling once a fighter is down.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The big loser was boxing. This was essentially another example of why the sport sucks.
Floyd ate punches for 4-5 rounds, not even bothering the first 3 rounds to throw back.
He finally turned it on and was pulling away but the ref had no business stopping the match without as much as a knockdown in a fight of this magnitude.
Conor was paid plenty to take his beating til he fell down.

Thankfully I saw this free. Buying boxing matches is a waste of time.

Boxing is not harder than MMA in any way. Which is why the boxer is not going to agree to an MMA style rematch.
But like a world class decathlete being a better all-around athlete than any sprinter, they aren't gonna beat a world class sprinter in a short race.
Floyd turned up the intensity in rounds 6 on and it was pretty much over then.
But we were robbed of the knockdown that would have come in 30 secs or so.
He didn't say boxing was harder. He said boxers have better cardio than MMA fighters, and that's true.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't agree with this at all. Pound for pound, I would not choose Mayweather.

Well, who?

I put my boxing credentials out there - I watch the sport and I participated in the sport. You just have been disagreeing without any solutions.

I don't think you understand pound for pound.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Floyd is the best defensive fighter of all time across weight classes. To me that's without question.

But I do not have any idea how he would fair versus guys of other eras where judges scored differently and refs didn't save people from beatings.

Have I ever watched Mayweather fight and thought this dude would kill Hagler/Hearns/Sugar Ray? Nope.
By the same token I've never watched Mayweather fight anyone and thought he'd actually lose.

He's a lot like the Ray Lewis led Ravens Super Bowl teams. Painfully effective, brutally efficient but very one dimensional and not very entertaining.

I never watched Mayweather fight and 'felt' the way I did watching a 19 year old Mike Tyson.

Of course not -- two entirely different boxers, in different eras, and different divisions.

That said, I think a lot of people don't understand what the pound for pound qualifier means.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, who?

I put my boxing credentials out there - I watch the sport and I participated in the sport. You just have been disagreeing without any solutions.

I don't think you understand pound for pound.

Put them out there all you want. You are not the only person who boxed. I boxed as a young man. My Grandfather was All Service Champion in the 40s, during the War. All my Uncles boxed. My Brothers Boxed, my younger Brother was a Golden Gloves Champ when he was young. He went to the Olympic Trials in 84. He is a professional trainer.

You say I have been disagreeing? Well this is a message board. The idea is to discuss and that includes dissent of opinions.

Mayweather is one of the best counter punchers and defensive fighters I've ever seen but that's one side of the sport. He has relatively little power, he fights in an era where the competition is nothing like what you saw in other decades and he hasn't really fought anybody in awhile. He's always cherry picked his opponents, which is fine. I mean, lots of fighters have done that and it's smart but, it doesn't translate into GOAT for me. Look at this last fight. What great champion fights a title match with an opponent who is basically an exhibition match? Now, to be fair, he saw the pay day and took it, I don't have a problem with that but there is no way that should have been a "Title Fight". It's a joke.

Right now, I would say that there are at least a couple of fighters that I would consider to be better then Mayweather. Ward, Golovkin, Gonzalez, Crawford, Alverez and a few more I'm probably leaving out. You could seriously make a case for that young kid Spence but I think he needs more skins, a few more quality fights.

If we are talking all time, he aint even close IMO. Robinson is probably the GOAT, or at least that's who I would pick. Fought way tougher comp and fought a stupid amount of fights before he even got a shot at a title. 74-1 with 40 1st round KO's before he even got a shot. Robinson went from 1940 to 1950 with only one loss in 131 fights. That loss, to Jake Lamotta, who he had already beaten in 1942 and then came back to beat him again, just 21 days after the loss in the rematch. Most of the losses in his career came much later. They guy fought for 25 years. He fought all comers and gave rematches to anybody who felt like they wanted one.

He fought my Grandfather in an exhibition match, just before DDay. My Grandad said he carried him for 4 rounds and then in the 5th (was a 5 round exhibition), came out and timed him on a perfect combination right on the button. Knocked my Grandfather out in the first minute of the 5th round. My Grandpa said that when he came to, Robinson came into the Locker Room and spent a few hours with him, before he flew back state side. Said he was a hell of a nice guy.

There are many others I would consider to be better then Mayweather Jr., BTW. However, if it is your opinion that the GOAT is Mayweather, I don't have a problem with that. I just don't agree with it and that's OK.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Put them out there all you want. You are not the only person who boxed. I boxed as a young man. My Grandfather was All Service Champion in the 40s, during the War. All my Uncles boxed. My Brothers Boxed, my younger Brother was a Golden Gloves Champ when he was young. He went to the Olympic Trials in 84. He is a professional trainer.

You say I have been disagreeing? Well this is a message board. The idea is to discuss and that includes dissent of opinions.

Mayweather is one of the best counter punchers and defensive fighters I've ever seen but that's one side of the sport. He has relatively little power, he fights in an era where the competition is nothing like what you saw in other decades and he hasn't really fought anybody in awhile. He's always cherry picked his opponents, which is fine. I mean, lots of fighters have done that and it's smart but, it doesn't translate into GOAT for me. Look at this last fight. What great champion fights a title match with an opponent who is basically an exhibition match? Now, to be fair, he saw the pay day and took it, I don't have a problem with that but there is no way that should have been a "Title Fight". It's a joke.

Right now, I would say that there are at least a couple of fighters that I would consider to be better then Mayweather. Ward, Golovkin, Gonzalez, Crawford, Alverez and a few more I'm probably leaving out. You could seriously make a case for that young kid Spence but I think he needs more skins, a few more quality fights.

If we are talking all time, he aint even close IMO. Robinson is probably the GOAT, or at least that's who I would pick. Fought way tougher comp and fought a stupid amount of fights before he even got a shot at a title. 74-1 with 40 1st round KO's before he even got a shot. Robinson went from 1940 to 1950 with only one loss in 131 fights. That loss, to Jake Lamotta, who he had already beaten in 1942 and then came back to beat him again, just 21 days after the loss in the rematch. Most of the losses in his career came much later. They guy fought for 25 years. He fought all comers and gave rematches to anybody who felt like they wanted one.

He fought my Grandfather in an exhibition match, just before DDay. My Grandad said he carried him for 4 rounds and then in the 5th (was a 5 round exhibition), came out and timed him on a perfect combination right on the button. Knocked my Grandfather out in the first minute of the 5th round. My Grandpa said that when he came to, Robinson came into the Locker Room and spent a few hours with him, before he flew back state side. Said he was a hell of a nice guy.

There are many others I would consider to be better then Mayweather Jr., BTW. However, if it is your opinion that the GOAT is Mayweather, I don't have a problem with that. I just don't agree with it and that's OK.
Amen.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

WOW! Your ' Gramps' must've really been something:bow: