McNabb answers critical column from NAACP leader

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb has expressed surprise and disappointment after hearing of racially-charged criticism made by Philadelphia NAACP president J. Whyatt Mondesire in a Nov. 27 column in the Philadelphia Sun.

Mondesire, the Sun's publisher and editor, wrote that McNabb is a "mediocre talent" who tries to disguise his ineffectiveness behind "some concocted reasoning" that African-American quarterbacks who scramble are somehow lesser "field generals."

McNabb, who endured Rush Limbaugh's comments just a few years earlier, was baffled by Mondesire remarks.

"Especially being the same color I am," McNabb told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "Obviously if it's someone else who is not African-American, it's racism. But when someone of the same race talks about you because you're selling out because you're not running the ball, it goes back to what are we really talking about here?

"If you talk about my play, that's one thing. When you talk about my race, now we've got problems. If you're trying to make a name off my name, again, I hope your closet is clean because something is going to come out about you ... I always thought the NAACP supported African-Americans and didn't talk bad about them. Now you learn a little bit more."

Mondesire also claimed that McNabb's "failure as a team leader off the field" led to the Terrell Owens situation. If McNabb "had the courage to offer only a tiny fraction" of his bonus to Owens and running back Brian Westbrook, Mondesire wrote, the "media circus" could have been avoided.

"When you go deep into that, or say I didn't stick up for someone, or why didn't I give a little bit of my money to someone else who is making money, you try to find an answer for that," McNabb told the Phialdelphia Daily News. "There's no answer that I've found."

McNabb plans to move on from Mondesire's column, but for the first time in his Eagles' tenure, McNabb has to answer questions about locker room leadership.

"This season was a tough season from the beginning," McNabb told the Inquirer. "People may blame it on just one particular person, but ... it's something that kind of spread in the locker room.

"There's never been a question of me losing the locker room until this year. If I've lost the locker room, then the question goes up why. Is it because now people are starting to look at me sideways for what I've been doing, or what I make, or whatever he had a problem with? That's the question I'm trying to get answered: If I've lost the locker room or not? No answer has come my way.

"But I do know the main reason we're not a good team is because we don't play as a team. Everybody has to realize that in order for us to get back to the Super Bowl and win it, we all have to play well together. You never heard anything like this coming from the Indianapolis Colts. You never heard anything like this coming from the New England Patriots. Baltimore, when they won the Super Bowl, they never had anything like this."

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
the E-Gals are a team in turmoil - I love it! They had there chance for the last couple of years and didn't get it done. McNabb will be old and gray before they get another chance.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I just want to know if Mondesire will have to step down for his racist remarks as Rush did at ESPN. As McNabb pointed out "Obviously if it's someone else who is not African-American, it's racism."

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
My goodness. Obviously McNabb's a member of the Eagles and we hate them and all that. But this guy(McNabb) has had to endure more foolishness thru the media in the last 2 years or so than I can remember any player in a long while. It's interesting because he doesn't seem to be the type of guy that seeks much attention off of the field. But man, he seems to be a lightning rod for controversy.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Why don't people that have nothing to do with football (i.e. Rush Limbaugh, this guy and congress with the BCS hearings) mind their own fricking business and not comment on things they know nothing about. SHUT THE F* UP. And thats all I have to say about that.

conner01

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I just want to know if Mondesire will have to step down for his racist remarks as Rush did at ESPN. As McNabb pointed out "Obviously if it's someone else who is not African-American, it's racism."
he should, rush did and what rush said was no more racist than what this idiot said.i think mondesire believes your an uncle tom if you actually pass the ball as oppsoed to running around with it

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
thats just fuel to the fire for McNabb to come back and have a great season next year.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Johnskey, I agree with you. I loathe the Eagles and I'm certainly not a McNabb fan but it is amazing that he is now blamed with the TO situation because he didn't give TO some of his money. This writer could have raised the point of maybe his not giving part of his money to the poor, etc but to fault him because he didn't give some of his money to TO is beyond comprehension. I wonder how much of this writer's salary has he given to other writers, etc.? Fair is fair. McNabb has taken maybe some deserved heat, I don't know, but he certainly has taken a lot of undeserved heat in my opinion.

Hoov

Reaction score
I think Mondesire was basically expressing that he feels that when McNabb talks about his trials of having to deal with peoples remarks, oppionions and observations of himself as a black QB, McNabb is making it bigger than it actually is, and Mondesire feels that McNabb hasnt had to really undergo some great ordeal or turmoil like some black athletes in the past who have really suffered due to racism, and i think Mondesire feels that McNabb's complaints belittle what others have gone through and i think that is what has angered him.

Im not saying i agree with mondesire, just saying that this seems to be his issue with McNabb. But at any rate, it sure seemed like his article was written with a good bit of anger or disgust.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Stupid response by McNAbb "Obviosly if he was non African American it would be racism"

So, are we saying that it can only be a racist comment if it comes from the opposite race?

That is just not true at all, his comment could totally be related to race and therefore racist!

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
$110 million contract buys you alot of pepto bismal and anti-acid tablets. He'll be OK.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Stupid response by McNAbb "Obviosly if he was non African American it would be racism"

So, are we saying that it can only be a racist comment if it comes from the opposite race?

That is just not true at all, his comment could totally be related to race and therefore racist!

I don't think that is exactly what he is saying

McNabb, who endured Rush Limbaugh's comments just a few years earlier, was baffled by Mondesire remarks.

"Especially being the same color I am," McNabb told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "Obviously if it's someone else who is not African-American, it's racism. But when someone of the same race talks about you because you're selling out because you're not running the ball, it goes back to what are we really talking about here?

"If you talk about my play, that's one thing. When you talk about my race, now we've got problems. If you're trying to make a name off my name, again, I hope your closet is clean because something is going to come out about you ... I always thought the NAACP supported African-Americans and didn't talk bad about them. Now you learn a little bit more."

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
Why don't people that have nothing to do with football (i.e. Rush Limbaugh, this guy and congress with the BCS hearings) mind their own fricking business and not comment on things they know nothing about. SHUT THE F* UP. And thats all I have to say about that.
Perhaps he should have brought his asinine comments to this message board. Would that be more appropriate? I'm not quite sure why this guy is attacking Donovan (it does seem to be an all out attack on him), but he certainly has a right to do so, subject to certain conditions of course.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I don't think that is exactly what he is saying

I think it is clear that he is saying that if a non African American wrote the story it would "HAVE" to be racially motivated, Is he not?

braw

Reaction score
The Eagles are victims of there own arrogance. Since they have drafted well and made good moves in the past, they believe any move they make will be OK. They are a Budgeted team that has watered down their talent.

You lose a LB like Derrick Burgess(who leads the league in sacks) Corey Simon (who has been great in Indy) and expect to still have a great team. All the loses of key personnel because you low ball your players and expect the ones who stay to play above their talent( for what No reward for you anyway). The Eagles were a good team because that defense kept them in many games.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
I think it is clear that he is saying that if a non African American wrote the story it would "HAVE" to be racially motivated, Is he not?
He's just saying that when a non-AA says something racist its clearly seen as racist and the guy is called out on it. When an AA, however, says something racist people don't jump on him. Meaning, people should jump on this guy for being a racist. Even though he's AA and a member of the NAACP he should still be shunned for his racist comments.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
aikemirv said:

I felt he is saying what Mondesire comments were just as racist as what Rush said.

Fact is McNabb should be looked at as an NFL QB no more no less and race should not enter into these statements. McNabb being black has nothing to do with his ability or lack of (in some peoples mind) to play the QB position and should be judged like any other QB.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Fact is McNabb should be looked at as an NFL QB no more no less and race should not enter into these statements. McNabb being black has nothing to do with his ability or lack of (in some peoples mind) to play the QB position and should be judged like any other QB.

absolutely, the fact that he is black has nothing to do with him being mediocre. The fact that he sucks does.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan said:
absolutely, the fact that he is black has nothing to do with him being mediocre. The fact that he sucks does.

I don't think he is a bad QB but people should be able to say that he is a bad QB without race playing a part. Truth is it has been thrown around here as well in the past when being critical of Carter