McNabb answers critical column from NAACP leader

jay cee

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
Yes...and I definitely think that there was stong evidence that he could not hold up under the pressure.

But what I don't know....is wether he would have been able to hold up under the pressure of simply playing QB. I don't know if it was the added pressure that did him in.

The irony to me is....it is the very people who idolized him for the wrong reasons which put the added pressure on him. IMO the Racist pressure was brought into the equation by the African American fan who idolized him for his skin color.
That is just too ridiculous for words. I couldn't tell you how many African Americans I have heard blast Carter.

Your comment brings to mind those Jim Crow white people from the 50's and 60's with their statements to the effect.......

"Our darkies like how we do things down here. It's all of these outside agitators that keep coming down here stirring things up thats causing all the trouble."

jay cee

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
That bolded part says it all. Thats BS!! :banghead: That really really makes me mad. What about it being criticism. Why does it have to be racism? I dont understand. Its no different from me critisizing McFlabb as that dude that just did (never heard of him before). I am not racist. But if I dont like Michael Vick, I am racist? If I say Culpepper sucks, I am racist? If I say McFlabb sold out I am racist, only cause I am wite? Yet if I say Dat sucks, I am not racist? hmmm.....When its offered as criticism, why take it as Racism? Why not take it at face value. Not everything said is said in a racial motiff. I have said Wiley sucks, I am not racist for that am I?

I am really getting tired of pple screamng racism when they dont get there way. I will agree there is some racism alive and well, but its a minority and certainly not my point of view or attitude.
This is so getting out of hand.
Get a grip dude. he was saying it's racist if you bring race into the equation when you evaluate him as a player.

Did you even read the article, that idiot based the entire thing on McNabb's race.

notherbob

Reaction score
Happy as I am to see all these problems haunting the Eagles, I have to say it was not McNabb's responsibility to give any of his money to TO or Westbrook, or anyone else when the Eagles are still millions under the cap. Is that writer some kinda commie pinko?

Hoov

Reaction score
i try to differentiate prejudice from racism. There are some who claim it is impossible for a black person in this country to be a racist because to be racist you would have to be the race in power or the race in position to cause oppression to another race.

There is a radio talk show up here in philly where this gets talked about all the time by one of the hosts, in fact it gets talked about too much because it gets to the point where you can just turn it on and already know what that particular person is going to say cause he sounds like a broken record and it is all he wants to talk about. But i do see where he is coming from with that. And so i can agree to an extent with him that a black person could not practice racism to a white person, (but a black person still could be prejudiced toward white people and hate them and do unfair things to them because they are white) however technically it would not be racism due to the fact that the black race is not in position at this time in this country to cause oppression to the white race. But i guess we are splitting hairs now regarding definitions and technical terms for what is really just simply making a jugement or unfair treatment of a person due to skin color. Anyway, the reason i brought that up is i think it explains donovans comment.

In that regard, i think that is why Donovan made the comment that he didnt know what to call it when one African American makes racial statements about another African American. Because it probably wouldnt be defined as racism.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I see Quincy Carter's name has already popped up in this thread.

Donovan Mcnabb is DAMNED if he does DAMNED if he doesnt.

If he runs his mouth, pouts and whines about what Rush Limbaugh, Terrell Ownens, Stephen A. Smith and this NAACP Leader (who is planning on running for congress in New Jersey) he is doing what is "expected" by an African American (the loud, obnoxious, ignorant, ugly american stereotype).

If he handles himself with class and dignity and handles all the negative criticisim behind the scenes he is going to be labeled a "Sellout" and being a Stool Pegion aka "House Negro".

What is being lost in all of this is that Terrell Owen's Situation is cut and dry.

1. The NFLPA told Owens do not sign the Eagles contract, Owens signed it anyway.

2. Owens came to the Eagles as the best Wide Receiver in the league, the onous is on him to get paid that way.

If Bill Gates leaves Microsoft to be CEO of another company, dont you think Bill Gates is going to make sure the new company is paying him like he is one of the Best CEOs in America?

To add, I am really starting to suspect what Stephen A. Smith first suggested in that the players really dont respect Mcnabb. All those guys showing up to Owens' birthday party and nobody coming out publicly to protect their "QB" is all clues that maybe Mcnabb is a little too sneaky in the "cigar-smoke filed backroom".

But Mcnabb and his family will be laughing at all his critics all the way to the bank, which imo makes him the undisputed winner.

Peace

- Mike G.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Hoov said:
There are some who claim it is impossible for a black person in this country to be a racist because to be racist you would have to be the race in power or the race in position to cause oppression to another race.
wow that is pretty faulty logic and ignorant!

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Hoov said:
i try to differentiate prejudice from racism. There are some who claim it is impossible for a black person in this country to be a racist because to be racist you would have to be the race in power or the race in position to cause oppression to another race.

There is a radio talk show up here in philly where this gets talked about all the time by one of the hosts, in fact it gets talked about too much because it gets to the point where you can just turn it on and already know what that particular person is going to say cause he sounds like a broken record and it is all he wants to talk about. But i do see where he is coming from with that. And so i can agree to an extent with him that a black person could not practice racism to a white person, (but a black person still could be prejudiced toward white people and hate them and do unfair things to them because they are white) however technically it would not be racism due to the fact that the black race is not in position at this time in this country to cause oppression to the white race. But i guess we are splitting hairs now regarding definitions and technical terms for what is really just simply making a jugement or unfair treatment of a person due to skin color. Anyway, the reason i brought that up is i think it explains donovans comment.

In that regard, i think that is why Donovan made the comment that he didnt know what to call it when one African American makes racial statements about another African American. Because it probably wouldnt be defined as racism.

I disagree. A black person can be racist towards one or many other races. An Asian can be racist. Racism is another word or HATRED. A deep laothing that consumes you. Its a viscious master and one that will lead you to trouble.

Anyone person can be a racist. All you need to do to be a racist is HATE!!!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Updated: Dec. 14, 2005, 9:48 PM ET
Problem isn't McNabb's race, it's Eagles' record

By Mark Kreidler
Special to ESPN.com

So now Donovan McNabb is answering questions from the peanut gallery about some of the same things Terrell Owens side-elbowed him on during Owens' many me-first rants over recent months -- the difference being, McNabb this time is dealing with an exclaimed racial element.

Note to self: That's no racial element. That, right there, is a bandwagon element.

What we have on our hands, let's face it, is a big fat 5-8. That is where the Eagles squat today, not even a calendar year removed from one of their finest runs to glory in franchise history. McNabb led that run with a confidence and a presence that went all the way to the Super Bowl before petering out in the face of the Patriots.

Of course, that was then. This year, with Owens suspended and McNabb struggling with his hernia injury, the bottom fell out of the bandwagon. McNabb was at 4-5, and sinking, when the injury finally ended his year. It hurts like hell when the whole unhappy crew hits the ground.

The publisher of the Philadelphia Sun, J. Whyatt "Jerry" Mondesire, has thus gone on the offensive, decrying McNabb's transition from a scrambling-type quarterback to one who spends more time in the pocket looking for downfield receivers. To Mondesire -- civil rights advocate, head of the Philadelphia NAACP, potential Congressional candidate -- the McNabb makeover amounts to the QB playing "the race card," purposely moving away from the mobile style in an effort to offset the stereotype that black quarterbacks are by nature scramblers. In support of that thesis, Mondesire offers his spin on old McNabb interviews in which the player decries blacks being referred to as "running quarterbacks."

Why McNabb would eliminate scrambling in response to that situation remains unclear, along with the question of why McNabb would do anything that he thought would actively decrease his own chance of success. Is someone seriously trying to argue that McNabb would rather be known as a pocket QB than a winning one?

But there we go again, trying to inject reason into a good old-fashioned sports/race debate. Note to self: Couldn't be more futile if we tried.

McNabb finally answered Mondesire's rant, saying he "always thought the NAACP supported African-Americans and didn't talk bad about them." With all due respect, Donovan, you missed the point entirely. The point is this: 5-8.

The point is that no one is safe when a team goes in the toilet, for whatever reason it may actually do so. Race can come into play, sure, but that's just one check mark on the laundry list. In fairness to Mr. Mondesire, after all, he also lampooned McNabb's fat salary, his completion percentage over his final five games of this season, his general leadership of the team, and the Super Bowl loss to New England ("You choked, brother.")

Now that we get down to it, that doesn't sound entirely like a racially tinged series of put-downs. That's good old-fashioned bitter-fan syndrome -- and there is plenty of it to go around, in virtually every city in which a former winner starts losing.

This is a weird one, no doubt. It isn't every day that the local NAACP leader tries to take down the quarterback of the football team by writing things like, "You played the race card and all of us fell for your hustle." At least Mondesire was self-transparent enough to acknowledge that he rarely writes about sports, and good thing. If he had looked up McNabb's statistics, he'd have learned that McNabb's rushing totals have decreased steadily from the year he became the Eagles' starter in 2000 -- in other words, that this is no sudden change. McNabb ran less in 2004 than he had in any other season as the QB, and the Eagles apparently still somehow failed themselves all the way to the NFC title.

Oh: Mondesire also compared McNabb unfavorably with Doug Williams, the former Commanders quarterback whom Mondesire remembered as having led Washington to "35 points in the fourth quarter alone" during its 1988 Super Bowl trashing of Denver. Williams and the Commanders scored 35 points not in the fourth quarter but in the second, all of them after spotting the Broncos a 10-0 lead -- but let's not get too carried away in the minutiae. The larger issue is this: The Philadelphia Eagles, in the Super Bowl not even a year ago, are a lousy, gag-inducing 5-8. Somebody is going to have to pay.

Mark Kreidler is a columnist for the Sacramento Bee and a regular contributor to ESPN.com. Reach him at mkreidler@sacbee.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=kreidler_mark&id=2259245

Mike 1967

Reaction score
jay cee said:
A lot of people think that way. If it wasn't for the racism of the majority population, there would be no need for organizations like the NAACP.

And that's not just in the U.S. these types of problems exist all over the world. Because people refuse to see anything but their differences. Why else would you have these stupid debates about who is a liberal and who is a conservative.

Not sure I'm following your thought/argument here.

I don't see a tie between racial issue's and philosophical issue's

At it's core....the primary differences between the left and the right are religious in nature. In todays culture, one holds to the worldview of Humanism (left) and one holds to the worldview of Christianity (right)

I don't find debates concerning the ultimate meaning of the universe and mankind to be stupid.

If you want to get into the semantics of stupid....then i would put football debates (my team is better than your team) up towards the top of that list.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
jay cee said:
That is just too ridiculous for words. I couldn't tell you how many African Americans I have heard blast Carter.

True....but there are also many that placed additional pressure on him to succeed because he was black.

Call it what you want....but...it is what it is.

Hoov

Reaction score
chinch said:
wow that is pretty faulty logic and ignorant!

well, i guess it depends on what your definition of racism is. i always thought of racism as denying basic human rights or privledges to a person because of their race or skin color. So in that sense, there seems to be some truth to the statement.

I dont think racism is another word for hatred. I think people may prejudge one another due to stereotypes and preconceived notions about their race. A lot of times this is due to fear and insecurity more than hatred.

At any rate, it is not my theory or my logic, but it is something i have had many discussions with various people about and i can see why someone would argue the above points. That is why i differentiate between racism, prejudice and stereotyping. They are all bad, but not necessarilly the same thing.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Hoov said:

Hoov,

This theory does not hold water.

In my last job my boss was black, and I am white. I loved my boss and my job....but....my boss was obviously in a position of power to discriminate against me if he had wished to do so.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
I disagree. A black person can be racist towards one or many other races. An Asian can be racist. Racism is another word or HATRED. A deep laothing that consumes you. Its a viscious master and one that will lead you to trouble.

Anyone person can be a racist. All you need to do to be a racist is HATE!!!
A "person of color" in our society can indeed be biased, or prejudiced, or flat out evilly bigoted, and that bigotry can definitely be based on skin color.

But "racism" is a different kettle of fish, and in our history, it was the institutionalized subjugation of blacks for over 250 years, followed up by 100 years of legalized segregation and occupational apartheid..."racism" is the use of race to perpetuate the dominance of one racial group, the one that controls the resources, over another, the one that doesn't.

I agree the word 'racist' cannot currently apply to African-Americans in our society, because as a whole African-Americans cannot and do not benefit from racism. Folks like myself do.

But bigotry knows no color line, and I am personally appalled at who seems to be working for the NAACP these days.

Poor Donovan...once again, he just can't catch a break. That man never set himself up as any prototype of the black quarterback, icon, or even example, and once again he gets blindsided merely for being 'black'.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bottom line is Mondesire comments were just as racist as Limbaugh. McNabb like any QB is trying to improve as a player not to be the poster boy for black QB's and how they should approach the game. I'm sure the QB coach in Philly is just as responsible for trying to get McNabb comfortable in the pocket as Donavan himself has tried to do. As a professional athlete you will always try to improve yourself as a player. Lastly what makes Mondesire an expert of what it takes to be a professional QB in the NFL? I think this idiot is just trying to get his name in the national spotlight talking about a subject he has no clue about.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Mcnabb to T.O...

"I know you just signed a seven year, forty-nine million dollar contract less than a year ago, but here's a couple of mil' from me to help get you through these tough times. And if you see Brian Westbrook, tell him I put five-hundred grand in his locker."

:rolleyes:

Hoov

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
Hoov,

This theory does not hold water.

In my last job my boss was black, and I am white. I loved my boss and my job....but....my boss was obviously in a position of power to discriminate against me if he had wished to do so.

same with me at my current job. But you are looking at isolated incidents rather than looking at the nation as a whole. today there are laws in place and it is easy to bring a lawsuit against a company and organizations are so paranoid of that that those types of discrimination rarely happen today. there is a whole lot more that goes into this, and there are very subtle ways that racism is still an issue in this country, but i can still understand the arguement that a minority is not in a position to practice racism, though any human being regardless of race can hold prejudiced views toward another of a different race.

Hoov

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
A "person of color" in our society can indeed be biased, or prejudiced, or flat out evilly bigoted, and that bigotry can definitely be based on skin color.

But "racism" is a different kettle of fish, and in our history, it was the institutionalized subjugation of blacks for over 250 years, followed up by 100 years of legalized segregation and occupational apartheid..."racism" is the use of race to perpetuate the dominance of one racial group, the one that controls the resources, over another, the one that doesn't.

I agree the word 'racist' cannot currently apply to African-Americans in our society, because as a whole African-Americans cannot and do not benefit from racism. Folks like myself do.

But bigotry knows no color line, and I am personally appalled at who seems to be working for the NAACP these days.

Poor Donovan...once again, he just can't catch a break. That man never set himself up as any prototype of the black quarterback, icon, or even example, and once again he gets blindsided merely for being 'black'.

Good explanation LTN.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Bottom line is Mondesire comments were just as racist as Limbaugh. McNabb like any QB is trying to improve as a player not to be the poster boy for black QB's and how they should approach the game. I'm sure the QB coach in Philly is just as responsible for trying to get McNabb comfortable in the pocket as Donavan himself has tried to do. As a professional athlete you will always try to improve yourself as a player. Lastly what makes Mondesire an expert of what it takes to be a professional QB in the NFL? I think this idiot is just trying to get his name in the national spotlight talking about a subject he has no clue about.
See there you go again. Its criticsim. Whats wrong with saying what you really feel? Why is it that when you say what your really feeling and someone dont agree with it, its racism?

Thats the fundamental problem with america today. We are so uptight and tense on not pissing anyone off for fear of Jessie Jackson camping on our front lawns. Screw them. Screw Jackson and screw McFlabb. If McFlabb isnt a man enough to take criticism then hes a punk. Anyone that takes what one says as racism without considering for even a moment that maybe its earned criticism is a racist. Anyone that gets fired and runs to a union screaming discrimination is a racist. Why dont we have the Asian version of Jessie Jackson, or the American Indian version, or the Russian version or the Jewish version of Jessie Jackson. We dont cause these races, religeons and pple are all aware that not everyone is racist. Only Black pple and Muslim pple have a problem with EVERYONE else.

This world is about ready for the apocolypts(however you spell it, in a hurry to get our the door here). I mean did the romans sit around the last 100 years like this, half claiming discrimination and the other half scratching their heads too afraid to do anything cause we dont want to throw fuel on their fire? We are headed down a one way street, going the wrong way, straight to hell. Pple need to realize they are not on this earth alone and we were not put on this earth to serve the blacks. I am sorry their grandfather was owned as a slave, but I did not own a single slave and I wont pay the price of my great grandfathers sins (I doubt he owned any anyways). Get over your history and deal with reality. We are all one pple in this global villiage. We all have to live with each other. Now how we gunna do that when you have a chip on your shoulder that does not belong there?

Stop thinking in negitive terms and hes racist cause he said I suck. Consider the source and the situation. If you suck, you suck, there nothing racist about that. Carter sucked and when we said so, did he cry racism, Hell no, cause he knows it wasnt meant that way. We all said Wiley sucked, how many of you guys have Jackson camping your front lawn for that? none, cause he knows he sucks too and knows it was the truth, not racism.

Grow the hell up pple and look at the world you live in. If you dont like it, do something positive to change it, not add mopre negitivity but dropping the race card. Please grow up already.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Hoov said:
same with me at my current job. But you are looking at isolated incidents rather than looking at the nation as a whole. today there are laws in place and it is easy to bring a lawsuit against a company and organizations are so paranoid of that that those types of discrimination rarely happen today. there is a whole lot more that goes into this, and there are very subtle ways that racism is still an issue in this country, but i can still understand the arguement that a minority is not in a position to practice racism, though any human being regardless of race can hold prejudiced views toward another of a different race.

I don't agree. I believe that there is racism that goes both directions in our nation today.

I believe that affirmative action is a "rascist" law. It fits the definition of Racism and Discrimination

Racism 2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
Discrimination 3. Treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit

Affirmative Action does just this. It gives special consideration based on a racial category vs. giving consideration based on merit.

It is a sad thind in my opinion. But it is the logical result of sins of men who are long dead. And I cannot necessarily fault a black person if he/she harbors anamosity for these past atrocities. I just wish it would all go away.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
See there you go again. Its criticsim. Whats wrong with saying what you really feel? Why is it that when you say what your really feeling and someone dont agree with it, its racism?

Thats the fundamental problem with america today. We are so uptight and tense on not pissing anyone off for fear of Jessie Jackson camping on our front lawns. Screw them. Screw Jackson and screw McFlabb. If McFlabb isnt a man enough to take criticism then hes a punk. Anyone that takes what one says as racism without considering for even a moment that maybe its earned criticism is a racist. Anyone that gets fired and runs to a union screaming discrimination is a racist. Why dont we have the Asian version of Jessie Jackson, or the American Indian version, or the Russian version or the Jewish version of Jessie Jackson. We dont cause these races, religeons and pple are all aware that not everyone is racist. Only Black pple and Muslim pple have a problem with EVERYONE else.

This world is about ready for the apocolypts(however you spell it, in a hurry to get our the door here). I mean did the romans sit around the last 100 years like this, half claiming discrimination and the other half scratching their heads too afraid to do anything cause we dont want to throw fuel on their fire? We are headed down a one way street, going the wrong way, straight to hell. Pple need to realize they are not on this earth alone and we were not put on this earth to serve the blacks. I am sorry their grandfather was owned as a slave, but I did not own a single slave and I wont pay the price of my great grandfathers sins (I doubt he owned any anyways). Get over your history and deal with reality. We are all one pple in this global villiage. We all have to live with each other. Now how we gunna do that when you have a chip on your shoulder that does not belong there?

Stop thinking in negitive terms and hes racist cause he said I suck. Consider the source and the situation. If you suck, you suck, there nothing racist about that. Carter sucked and when we said so, did he cry racism, Hell no, cause he knows it wasnt meant that way. We all said Wiley sucked, how many of you guys have Jackson camping your front lawn for that? none, cause he knows he sucks too and knows it was the truth, not racism.

Grow the hell up pple and look at the world you live in. If you dont like it, do something positive to change it, not add mopre negitivity but dropping the race card. Please grow up already.

Because this idiot uses race as a factor in his comments. If a white person made the same comments he would be called on the carpet for what he said.