McNabb answers critical column from NAACP leader

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
"Obviously if it's someone else who is not African-American, it's racism."

Sorry, Donovan, but your black skin doesn't immunize you against criticism, be it white or black. For the record, I'd take a completely healthy Donovan McNabb over 90% of the turds masquerading as QBs in this league.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
Yes...and I definitely think that there was stong evidence that he could not hold up under the pressure.

But what I don't know....is wether he would have been able to hold up under the pressure of simply playing QB. I don't know if it was the added pressure that did him in.

The irony to me is....it is the very people who idolized him for the wrong reasons which put the added pressure on him. IMO the Racist pressure was brought into the equation by the African American fan who idolized him for his skin color.

Some who follow Georgia football would say he was starting to fold under the pressure there which is why he left early to enter the draft. It was well known that Carter was going to face competition at QB for the Bulldogs and not a sure thing he was going to win the job.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb has expressed surprise and disappointment after hearing of racially-charged criticism made by Philadelphia NAACP president J. Whyatt Mondesire in a Nov. 27 column in the Philadelphia Sun.

Mondesire, the Sun's publisher and editor, wrote that McNabb is a "mediocre talent" who tries to disguise his ineffectiveness behind "some concocted reasoning" that African-American quarterbacks who scramble are somehow lesser "field generals."

McNabb, who endured Rush Limbaugh's comments just a few years earlier, was baffled by Mondesire remarks.

"Especially being the same color I am," McNabb told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "Obviously if it's someone else who is not African-American, it's racism. But when someone of the same race talks about you because you're selling out because you're not running the ball, it goes back to what are we really talking about here?

"If you talk about my play, that's one thing. When you talk about my race, now we've got problems. If you're trying to make a name off my name, again, I hope your closet is clean because something is going to come out about you ... I always thought the NAACP supported African-Americans and didn't talk bad about them. Now you learn a little bit more."

Mondesire also claimed that McNabb's "failure as a team leader off the field" led to the Terrell Owens situation. If McNabb "had the courage to offer only a tiny fraction" of his bonus to Owens and running back Brian Westbrook, Mondesire wrote, the "media circus" could have been avoided.

"When you go deep into that, or say I didn't stick up for someone, or why didn't I give a little bit of my money to someone else who is making money, you try to find an answer for that," McNabb told the Phialdelphia Daily News. "There's no answer that I've found."

McNabb plans to move on from Mondesire's column, but for the first time in his Eagles' tenure, McNabb has to answer questions about locker room leadership.

"This season was a tough season from the beginning," McNabb told the Inquirer. "People may blame it on just one particular person, but ... it's something that kind of spread in the locker room.

"There's never been a question of me losing the locker room until this year. If I've lost the locker room, then the question goes up why. Is it because now people are starting to look at me sideways for what I've been doing, or what I make, or whatever he had a problem with? That's the question I'm trying to get answered: If I've lost the locker room or not? No answer has come my way.

"But I do know the main reason we're not a good team is because we don't play as a team. Everybody has to realize that in order for us to get back to the Super Bowl and win it, we all have to play well together. You never heard anything like this coming from the Indianapolis Colts. You never heard anything like this coming from the New England Patriots. Baltimore, when they won the Super Bowl, they never had anything like this."

That bolded part says it all. Thats BS!! :banghead: That really really makes me mad. What about it being criticism. Why does it have to be racism? I dont understand. Its no different from me critisizing McFlabb as that dude that just did (never heard of him before). I am not racist. But if I dont like Michael Vick, I am racist? If I say Culpepper sucks, I am racist? If I say McFlabb sold out I am racist, only cause I am wite? Yet if I say Dat sucks, I am not racist? hmmm.....When its offered as criticism, why take it as Racism? Why not take it at face value. Not everything said is said in a racial motiff. I have said Wiley sucks, I am not racist for that am I?

I am really getting tired of pple screamng racism when they dont get there way. I will agree there is some racism alive and well, but its a minority and certainly not my point of view or attitude.
This is so getting out of hand.

TunaFan33

Benched
Reaction score
Is anyone else getting this funny feeling that Reid and McNabb will be in Dallas after Parcells retires?

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Some who follow Georgia football would say he was starting to fold under the pressure there which is why he left early to enter the draft. It was well known that Carter was going to face competition at QB for the Bulldogs and not a sure thing he was going to win the job.

I have to admit that I don't have any knowledge of the Georgia situation. Although I did hear about it some during the old QC debates.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
That bolded part says it all. Thats BS!! :banghead: That really really makes me mad. What about it being criticism. Why does it have to be racism? I dont understand. Its no different from me critisizing McFlabb as that dude that just did (never heard of him before). I am not racist. But if I dont like Michael Vick, I am racist? If I say Culpepper sucks, I am racist? If I say McFlabb sold out I am racist, only cause I am wite? Yet if I say Dat sucks, I am not racist? hmmm.....When its offered as criticism, why take it as Racism? Why not take it at face value. Not everything said is said in a racial motiff. I have said Wiley sucks, I am not racist for that am I?

I am really getting tired of pple screamng racism when they dont get there way. I will agree there is some racism alive and well, but its a minority and certainly not my point of view or attitude.
This is so getting out of hand.

You have to separate all the criticism that was in the comments. If you criticise Vick for his play as a QB, you are not racist. McNabb's play either. That isn't the critical part that McNabb was referring, too. I also think McNabb is saying that this guy is being racist and just because he also happens to be black, no one is looking at it as racist comment. This attack by this writer was mulit-layered. It wasn't just about football. It went deeper and he made some strange accusations.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Stupid response by McNAbb "Obviosly if he was non African American it would be racism"

So, are we saying that it can only be a racist comment if it comes from the opposite race?

That is just not true at all, his comment could totally be related to race and therefore racist!
Excellent point. McNabb has the mindset that all too many Americans have, that, if you criticize a black - and you're not black - you're racist.

False accusations of racism are almost as heinous as racism itself, and I wish the country as a whole would acknowledge that.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
TunaFan33 said:
Is anyone else getting this funny feeling that Reid and McNabb will be in Dallas after Parcells retires?

This would revolt me more than Owens coming to Dallas.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
I have to admit that I don't have any knowledge of the Georgia situation. Although I did hear about it some during the old QC debates.

I'm not a follower of Georgia football so I'm only giving a second hand account. But to an certain degree I saw it in Dallas as well.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I'm not a follower of Georgia football so I'm only giving a second hand account. But to an certain degree I saw it in Dallas as well.

I agree with you. I definitely saw it to.

Remember the reports about him throwing up before his first regular season start...(I think it was against Tampa Bay)

The guy was just wired to tightly IMO

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Double Trouble said:
Excellent point. McNabb has the mindset that all too many Americans have, that, if you criticize a black - and you're not black - you're racist.

Yep...Richard Pryor (rest his soul) made a living off of this double standard. He had access to material that was tabu to white comedians.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
The highlighted point is actually incorrect. The media here consistantly said that Carter was going to lose his starting job to DJ Shockley. The coach said this was incorrect. DJ Shockley was red-shirted that year. I honestly do not see how Shockley would have been much competition from the bench.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
I agree with you. I definitely saw it to.

Remember the reports about him throwing up before his first regular season start...(I think it was against Tampa Bay)

The guy was just wired to tightly IMO

That is why he never became a good QB. People say he had to learn how to take a snap. Wasn't true. He had to learn to relax and take the time to take the snap instead of pulling out too soon. Most of the problems Quincy had revolved around him being wired to tightly. It wasn't his only problem, but it was a big one and branched out into everything he did. Rushing his reads, making impulsive, poor decisions, not setting his feet and some other things. A QB has to let the game slow down for him. He couldn't.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AtlCB said:
The highlighted point is actually incorrect. The media here consistantly said that Carter was going to lose his starting job to DJ Shockley. The coach said this was incorrect. DJ Shockley was red-shirted that year. I honestly do not see how Shockley would have been much competition from the bench.

As I indicated I was only going by second hand accounts from some people I know who followed the Bulldogs.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
AtlCB said:
What I heard was that it was David Green, not Shockley.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
That is why he never became a good QB. People say he had to learn how to take a snap. Wasn't true. He had to learn not relax and take the time to take the snap instead of pulling out too soon. Most of the problems Quincy had revolved around him being wired to tightly. It wasn't his only problem, but it was a big one and branched out into everything he did. Rushing his reads, making impulsive, poor decisions, not setting his feet and some other things. A QB has to let the game slow down for him. He couldn't.

Good points !

Anyone who is a good "pool shooter" understands this concept. And I would assume that golfers would understand this concept well. ( I play pool but i don't golf)

In pool you have to be relaxed...because 90% of it is your stroke. If you are "tight" then you will have a "jerky" stroke. If you ever watch a good pool player shoot pool....you will see a smooth relaxed stroke.

Throwing the ball is the same concept.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Double Trouble said:
What I heard was that it was David Green, not Shockley.

That is the guy I was told would compete for the starting job aginst Carter at Georgia as well.

Martice

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
Good points

But...I thought that the NAACP was a "racist organization". IMO, Any organization, that is based on race......is by it's own definition, rascist.

So is the J.D.L. (Jewish Defense League) using your logic.

Definition - Racism:

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

The NAACP has never had a history of practicing the above. If you know any different please let me know.

In addition, the NAACP was founded by a Jewish Woman named Mary White Ovington.

IMO your opinion is wrong and is using bad logic.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Martice said:
So is the J.D.L. (Jewish Defense League) using your logic.

Definition - Racism:

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

The NAACP has never had a history of practicing the above. If you know any different please let me know.

In addition, the NAACP was founded by a Jewish Woman named Mary White Ovington.

IMO your opinion is wrong and is using bad logic.

Definition Racism - 2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Definition Discrimination - 3. Treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit

You picked out the definitions that fit your "context" and attempted to apply them to mine.

My context follows the above definitions...that I did not create...

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I'm just calling it like I see it.

And yes.......IMO any organization that is based on racial grounds is "rascist" per the definitions above.

Because those organizations make considerations based on race.

But please also notice.....that nowhere have I stated that "rascist" is necessarily a bad word. In the context I am using...it may not be.

But...the presuppositions that come with this topic are so well entrenched (especially if you are African American) that I can understand if you would naturally put words/meaning into my mouth.

jay cee

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
Good points

But...I thought that the NAACP was a "racist organization". IMO, Any organization, that is based on race......is by it's own definition, rascist.
A lot of people think that way. If it wasn't for the racism of the majority population, there would be no need for organizations like the NAACP.

And that's not just in the U.S. these types of problems exist all over the world. Because people refuse to see anything but their differences. Why else would you have these stupid debates about who is a liberal and who is a conservative.