Medical Insurance Rates

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I’m not sure it actually works but is supposed to aid in digestion, less stomach aches, etc.

It helps with digestion and it also increases nutrient absorption. I can’t eat too much greasy stuff for more than two days in a row or I get heart burn now. I’ve really cut back on unhealthy food since I was in my 30’s though. Too much spicy food also gives me heartburn now but the papaya tabs seem to help with that as well...

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I don't get stomach aches, and none of my family do either, I don't think. I didn't realize that was a common issue.

Consider yourselves blessed but something caused you guys to develop gall stones though. So much that you had to remove the gall bladder.

Did you experience the typical side pain symptoms or how did u find out you needed to have it removed?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
College tuition, insurance premiums, and drug prices are a scam in the US. Checkout what they cost in the rest of the world.

Capitalism is great and it's what this country was built upon, but the above is what happens when unchecked capitalism runs amuck.

I pay extremely high premiums too. ($1,200 / month, for myself and my daughter) Though, when I had my gall bladder out, it cost me $250. A coworker who had a lessor insurance option paid almost $5k.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Consider yourselves blessed but something caused you guys to develop gall stones though. So much that you had to remove the gall bladder.

Did you experience the typical side pain symptoms or how did u find out you needed to have it removed?
Mine was gangrenous by the time I knew I had a problem. The others in my family had different issues, I think, but in my case the bile tube leading out of my gallbladder was 1/3 the size it should've been, so the bile was backing up. The doc had to do open surgery on me because it just kept falling apart when he tried to do it arthroscopically.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
College tuition, insurance premiums, and drug prices are a scam in the US. Checkout what they cost in the rest of the world.

Capitalism is great and it's what this country was built upon, but the above is what happens when unchecked capitalism runs amuck.

I pay extremely high premiums too. ($1,200 / month, for myself and my daughter) Though, when I had my gall bladder out, it cost me $250. A coworker who had a lessor insurance option paid almost $5k.
I paid $2000 out of pocket for a surgery (the gallbladder surgery) that was $15,000 for the insurance company, after they negotiated the cost.

One of the big reasons medical costs, and therefore insurance costs, are so high is because of all the people who don't pay their medical bills. There are people who know that hospitals can't refuse to treat them. and know they can legally send them just $5/mo, which is less than it costs to process the payment. Eventually the hospital or doctor decides it isn't worth it and forgives the debt.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Mine was gangrenous by the time I knew I had a problem. The others in my family had different issues, I think, but in my case the bile tube leading out of my gallbladder was 1/3 the size it should've been, so the bile was backing up. The doc had to do open surgery on me because it just kept falling apart when he tried to do it arthroscopically.

Yikes

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
One of the big reasons medical costs, and therefore insurance costs, are so high is because of all the people who don't pay their medical bills. There are people who know that hospitals can't refuse to treat them. and know they can legally send them just $5/mo, which is less than it costs to process the payment. Eventually the hospital or doctor decides it isn't worth it and forgives the debt.

Actually, it's capitalism run amuck. What you are stating is the propaganda being spread by the greedy who created this healthcare train-wreck. In the US, we all are nothing but dollar signs and we can't change is because those with the money, control everything.

I will say this. A lot of people don't pay, but that's because instead of $300 for something, it's $5000. That can cause people to not be able to pay.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Actually, it's capitalism run amuck. What you are stating is the propaganda being spread by the greedy who created this healthcare train-wreck. In the US, we all are nothing but dollar signs and we can't change is because those with the money, control everything.

I will say this. A lot of people don't pay, but that's because instead of $300 for something, it's $5000. That can cause people to not be able to pay.

I've known people who laugh while they talk about doing exactly what I said. They could pay, but they don't want to, so they work the system. Believe me, I realize health costs are inflated, but part of that is the people who abuse the system. Obviously there's more than just that, but it's definitely a factor.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I've known people who laugh while they talk about doing exactly what I said. They could pay, but they don't want to, so they work the system. Believe me, I realize health costs are inflated, but part of that is the people who abuse the system. Obviously there's more than just that, but it's definitely a factor.
I think they should outlaw privatization of healthcare, pharma, education, and the prison systems. If you take the "profit" out of them, it would bring the price of those services way down.

DFWJC

Reaction score
In Canada we have universal paid health care provided to us by the government, our taxes pay for it...no one legally living in Canada needs to worry about coverage, we are covered...
Must be nice.
Extremely different situations though.
And for things like surgery, way different wait times and higher end quality.
But yes, also more affordable for the healthy.

If you stay healthy, thats good
But the last study I saw had Canada as 28th out of 28 countries studied for quality

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

What is this google answers response? :D I expected scams and .onion links!

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I think they should outlaw privatization of healthcare, pharma, education, and the prison systems. If you take the "profit" out of them, it would bring the price of those services way down.
Shut ur face u logical jerk lol....we have boots and the straps on layaway..we feel "better" bc we're told to think we're tougher bc...that depends on something else. We have the best, not really, well we pay for the best, not really, well gimme some stats to feel better asap! "That part will cost you":laugh::facepalm:
But 28th, :laugh:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
My dad was in the insurance business for 25 years and when I used to complain about how much my car insurance cost back when I was younger, he would tell me, "Everyone hates paying for insurance .. until they need it .. then they love it." He was definitely right.
That’s not exactly true because when something does happen you have to fight like hell to get them to pay for it. They’ll try and Nicole and done you to death. I know I worked for a big insurance company for 6 years.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s not exactly true because when something does happen you have to fight like hell to get them to pay for it. They’ll try and Nicole and done you to death. I know I worked for a big insurance company for 6 years.
Personally, I would rather have hope of winning a battle with someone who will pay for it than to not have any options at all and be responsible for all of it myself.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Personally, I would rather have hope of winning a battle with someone who will pay for it than to not have any options at all and be responsible for all of it myself.
Me too it just sucks that you have to go to war with them over it after you’ve been paying so much, on time, year after year after year.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Me too it just sucks that you have to go to war with them over it after you’ve been paying so much, on time, year after year after year.
Oh I agree completely. That's a factor in the insurance companies (and more importantly, the insurance agents) I choose.

The underwriters (the people who tend to say yes/no on everything for the insurance companies) are the main obstacles in those situations. You want to make sure your insurance agent(s)/agency is willing to fight past the initial "No!" rather than it all falling on you to fight that battle.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Oh I agree completely. That's a factor in the insurance companies (and more importantly, the insurance agents) I choose.

The underwriters (the people who tend to say yes/no on everything for the insurance companies) are the main obstacles in those situations. You want to make sure your insurance agent(s)/agency is willing to fight past the initial "No!" rather than it all falling on you to fight that battle.
I don't understand. The insurance policy outlines exactly what they'll pay for and what they won't.........or is that just mine? I've never had an issue with them paying, once I met my deductible.