News: Mel Kiper, Adam Schefter discuss: Are Cowboys better off with Johnny Manziel, drafting a QB, or gett

CCBoy

Reaction score
Mel Kiper, Adam Schefter discuss: Are Cowboys better off with Johnny Manziel, drafting a QB, or getting someone to help Tony Romo win a Super Bowl?

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...in-super-bowl?f=c&c=AVJhwmvci1VEZuH-eQ9k&n=10

Kiper
: [Johnny] Manziel, could he become a Cowboy, the heir apparent to Tony Romo? Romo turns 36 in April. He's had injury issues. You saw what happened when he got hurt. A division that could have been theirs went awry and became the Commanders' division. Does Dallas at four think about a quarterback? Do they think about moving ahead of Cleveland and getting to one to take a quarterback like [Jared] Goff? What will be the Dallas Cowboys' mentality come draft day, Adam?

Schefter: That's a great question Mel. I will say this. They're going to be adding a quarterback this offseason. I do believe that they're going to explore the idea of acquiring Johnny Manziel. It's a no-brainer. Cleveland has to get rid of him. It's going to get rid of him. Jerry [Jones] had him rated as the fifth or sixth player on the board in the year they drafted Zack Martin. If it were not for Stephen Jones and others in the Cowboys organization, Jerry would have gone ahead and made that move and picked Johnny Manziel at the 16 hole. So if you got a guy like that on sale this offseason and you got a need at that position and you get that guy for, let's just say, a conditional fifth round draft pick, why would you not do that? To me, they're going to make a move a quarterback whether it's Johnny Manziel and using their first round pick on a quarterback, whether it's bypassing Manziel with the idea that they're going to pick a quarterback in round one. They're not going to not address that position. It's just not going to happen. So now it's a question of their organization sitting down, talking to these guys at the combine, speaking amongst themselves and coming up with what they believe is the best plan going forward. I don't know that it's possible to say what they're going to do right now. What would you guess they're going to today, Mel?

Kiper: I will say this Adam. They're picking fourth. Do you think Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones feel like they're going to be picking fourth that often?...

dcjules

Reaction score
Goff, Wentz or Lynch may not be worthy of #4 overall.....although consensus seems to think Goff goes #2 to Cleveland who are "desperate" for a QB.....don't reach unless you believe one of these guys is your next Aikman....if any scout blinks or raises a question at drafting one of these guys, pass and pick the highest rated guy....please don't reach!!!

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
JF may have been at the top of Dallas' board but he has already proven he is a first-class flake which devalues his talent. He is not worth more than a 6th-round pick and even then it would have to be conditional. In addition, he would have to understand he would come in as the 3rd-string QB and would have to earn a backup role.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Even if Goff/Lynch/Wentz aren't worth a 1st round pick, is Manziel really a better option than someone like Cook who we could get in the 2nd or Hackenburg who we can get even later?

Goff, Lynch and Wentz are legit franchise QBs. Are they Aikman? Staubach? Probably not but they will play at a high level in the NFL in the very near future.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No doubt guys like Schefter thinks Dallas should get Manziel, Media would love it including Adam Schefter, disruptive headcase party boy in Dallas talk about having news stories being hand feed to you.

Junglist

Reaction score
Goff, Wentz or Lynch may not be worthy of #4 overall.....although consensus seems to think Goff goes #2 to Cleveland who are "desperate" for a QB.....don't reach unless you believe one of these guys is your next Aikman....if any scout blinks or raises a question at drafting one of these guys, pass and pick the highest rated guy....please don't reach!!!

And this is why all the casual fans that don't know how a draft works will be uber-pissed if we pick any other position besides QB. I agree with you here, but Facebook will implode if we pick something else. It'll be both funny and irritating at the same time.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Kiper/Schefter conversation was nothing more than asking each other questions we have been asking ourselves since the end of the year.

Nothing new or informative there. BTW, take the QB you like at #4 and don't look back. Forget Manziel. You can't trust him.

I agree. When Manziel stock was at it's highest many teams passed on him and when Manziel got his chance to prove critics wrong he instead proved them right.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
There's an opening with TMZ that has your name on it, Schefter

I don't like that dude.............his style, his schtick, his attitude or his kids.

Does he own a pet? I'd like to bundle my dis-like.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There's an opening with TMZ that has your name on it, Schefter

I don't like that dude.............his style, his schtick, his attitude or his kids.

Does he own a pet? I'd like to bundle my dis-like.

Thing is reading what many were saying leading up to that draft about his party lifestyle, his drinking his attitude are still the things haunting him today. When he had a chance to stand up and show people they were all wrong about him he choose instead to prove them right. And now some want him in Dallas? I guess Johnny is not the only one drinking too much these days.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2031095-before-the-nfl-draft-silence-is-golden-for-johnny-manziel

Last edited:

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Time to replace Romo

I'm not even sure what this "on-the-field " teams identity is , without Romo. It will be a brand new day...........

maybe its what the Cowboys need at this point?

imho, my WAG; I give it 2 years. unless something happens, and he just physically cant make a return.... maybe 3. But I think 3 is pushing it. But I dunno.....thats just pure speculation. Favre went and played at a high level well beyond what anybody thought he could do....... so, maybe Romo does that too?

Whatever happens, we need to start finding , developing, that QB right now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm not even sure what this "on-the-field " teams identity is , without Romo. It will be a brand new day...........

maybe its what the Cowboys need at this point?

imho, my WAG; I give it 2 years. unless something happens, and he just physically cant make a return.... maybe 3. But I think 3 is pushing it. But I dunno.....thats just pure speculation. Favre went and played at a high level well beyond what anybody thought he could do....... so, maybe Romo does that too?

Whatever happens, we need to start finding , developing, that QB right now.

I agree, to me the key is getting a young talented QB and allowing him the time to develop and fully understand the offense instead of playing the sink or swim game. I think now is the best opportunity to do this

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
And this is why all the casual fans that don't know how a draft works will be uber-pissed if we pick any other position besides QB. I agree with you here, but Facebook will implode if we pick something else. It'll be both funny and irritating at the same time.

They should get ready then because it ain't happening for a QB at #4. QB will be addressed in FA or trade before draft. if they go QB in the draft it will be in the later rounds.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They should get ready then because it ain't happening for a QB at #4. QB will be addressed in FA or trade before draft. if they go QB in the draft it will be in the later rounds.

You may be right but I have a feeling that with coaches working closely with Wentz and getting to know him it could factor in to the Cowboys drafting him

LittleD

Reaction score
Thing is reading what many were saying leading up to that draft about his party lifestyle, his drinking his attitude are still the things haunting him today. When he had a chance to stand up and show people they were all wrong about him he choose instead to prove them right. And now some want him in Dallas? I guess Johnny is not the only one drinking too much these days.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2031095-before-the-nfl-draft-silence-is-golden-for-johnny-manziel

I will say this, we have had our share of party players over the years. We have also had a franchise QB who
was a pretty good party boy. His name was Don Meredith and even though he did not win us a
championship, he was a pretty cool QB back in the day. I don't really want Jerry to pull the trigger on this guy either
but, I don't think his drinking and partying habits will be the final decision maker.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I will say this, we have had our share of party players over the years. We have also had a franchise QB who
was a pretty good party boy. His name was Don Meredith and even though he did not win us a
championship, he was a pretty cool QB back in the day. I don't really want Jerry to pull the trigger on this guy either
but, I don't think his drinking and partying habits will be the final decision maker.

I think it will and think it should. This is not the 1960's and when Meredith was here, the franchise was young and the limelight of Dallas not near as bright as it is now. Manziel will bring nothing but disruption and problems.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

if jones drank as much as fans said he does, he'd have been dead long ago.

but hey, never one to spoil a good slam.