News: Mel Kiper, Adam Schefter discuss: Are Cowboys better off with Johnny Manziel, drafting a QB, or gett

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
The idea that all 3 of them are franchise quarterbacks is laughable. It would be like saying 5 years ago that first rounders Newton, Gabbert, Ponder and Locker were all franchise QBs. In 5 years if even one of the 3 from a group as underwhelming as Goff, Wentz and Lynch are still in the league at all -- never mind franchise QBs -- it would be a success story.

Then go ahead and laugh. Point is, if they are there you take one. Drafting #4 does not happen every year but by all means, go ahead and laugh away.

Or maybe I should refer to them as franchise QB candidates? Does that help?

Frozen700

Reaction score
No it's not. I feel bad for you, you have to watch one of the Top QB in the NFL for the next 2 to 3 years.

Yeah, or in the next 5 games he breaks his collarbone again or something else, then says "**** this, I have a family to worry about"

Then not only are we screwed for that season, again, we are screwed until we find a replacement.

I rather not go through that. Just find someone early, and let the injured old man walk.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, or in the next 5 games he breaks his collarbone again or something else, then says "**** this, I have a family to worry about"

Then not only are we screwed for that season, again, we are screwed until we find a replacement.

I rather not go through that. Just find someone early, and let the injured old man walk.

So basically the same situation that nearly every team with a franchise QB would be in if their QB suffered a career ending injury.

snapper

Reaction score
The idea that all 3 of them are franchise quarterbacks is laughable. It would be like saying 5 years ago that first rounders Newton, Gabbert, Ponder and Locker were all franchise QBs. In 5 years if even one of the 3 from a group as underwhelming as Goff, Wentz and Lynch are still in the league at all -- never mind franchise QBs -- it would be a success story.

Maybe when one, two or all three fail. Until then, they are there and they should be considered legit.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I will say this, we have had our share of party players over the years. We have also had a franchise QB who
was a pretty good party boy. His name was Don Meredith and even though he did not win us a
championship, he was a pretty cool QB back in the day. I don't really want Jerry to pull the trigger on this guy either
but, I don't think his drinking and partying habits will be the final decision maker.

There wasn't a more committed player when on the field, than was Don Meredith. There was no player aurora when he taped up broken ribs and played for his team...Period.

conner01

Reaction score
I honestly would be happy w a few guys. Tread well. Him and dez together. Watch out. But like they said we haven't chose this high since beginning of the nineties. If a qb we want is there we should take him. W this oline and a young defense we can be prepared for years like the packers w Rodgers/favre

It would be a perfect pick if romo was 30
He and dez could really electrify the offense

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Not this year. Time to draft (this year to be heir apparent) a young QB with pedigree. Fact!!!

I know what you mean Fletch but it just doesn't work. Pedigree meaning guys who come from big time programs who played at a high level in big time games and were winners. Guys like--

Mark Sanchez
Jamarcus Russell
Vince Young
EJ Manual
Sam Bradford
Matt Leinart
Johnny Manziel
RG III

Fact is it's a complete crapshoot. Unless you have the next can't miss like Andrew Luck (not in this draft) you have to weigh taking a chance at them panning out or surrounding Romo with blue chip players. It's a tough call and no doubt this is one of the most important drafts the team has had in a long. long time.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I'm not big on Goff or Lynch but it will take a horrible situation for Wentz not to pan out for some team.

His only flaw is the logo on his helmet.

Wentz is as physically talented as it gets.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Goff, Wentz or Lynch may not be worthy of #4 overall.....although consensus seems to think Goff goes #2 to Cleveland who are "desperate" for a QB.....don't reach unless you believe one of these guys is your next Aikman....if any scout blinks or raises a question at drafting one of these guys, pass and pick the highest rated guy....please don't reach!!!

Next Aikman? Why is any qb we might draft (#4) have to be compared to him?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
It doesn't make any sense to just blow Manziel off when you could get him for so cheap. Who are we taking with a conditional 5th that has more potential to help this team than Manziel. No one. Don't even try to tell me a fifth round pick has less chance of being gone in a year either, because history would be laughing in your face.

I understand guys hate him and/or his attitude. However, too many times we have seen teams get a guy like that a change of scenery, some help managing his issues, and he reaches his full potential. Think of someone like Brandon Marshall. That guy was an epic head case. It was so bad Denver pretty much gave him away. He got some help and he became one of the best receivers in the game. Hell, his time in Denver is rarely even mentioned.

Like I said, I understand not wanting to hand the franchise to a guy like Manziel, but if you can get the guy for a conditional fifth and sit him at third string for a year and see how he reacts, what do you have to lose? You have significantly less to lose than you do taking a QB at 4 and then sitting him for two years before you even know what you have and then potentially being right back in the same boat. The difference is, with the Manziel trade, you still get to add a difference maker at 4.

Frozen700

Reaction score
So basically the same situation that nearly every team with a franchise QB would be in if their QB suffered a career ending injury.

Not really, not every team has a QB that is old, and keeps breaking the same injury

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I know what you mean Fletch but it just doesn't work. Pedigree meaning guys who come from big time programs who played at a high level in big time games and were winners. Guys like--

Mark Sanchez
Jamarcus Russell
Vince Young
EJ Manual
Sam Bradford
Matt Leinart
Johnny Manziel
RG III

Fact is it's a complete crapshoot. Unless you have the next can't miss like Andrew Luck (not in this draft) you have to weigh taking a chance at them panning out or surrounding Romo with blue chip players. It's a tough call and no doubt this is one of the most important drafts the team has had in a long. long time.

Gotta start somewhere. Just like the author said, "How often do you get a fourth overall pick? Use it on a QB.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Then go ahead and laugh. Point is, if they are there you take one. Drafting #4 does not happen every year but by all means, go ahead and laugh away.

Or maybe I should refer to them as franchise QB candidates? Does that help?

Franchise QB candidate is fair, though I don't think any team really has that expectation for any of these guys right now. I think the hope is that they can develop into solid starters and maybe 1 of the 3 becomes your guy for a decade.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score

Mark Sanchez
Jamarcus Russell
Vince Young
EJ Manual
Sam Bradford
Matt Leinart
Johnny Manziel
RG III

I can make the same claim with OL,DL and RB. Clowney to start with.

LittleD

Reaction score
There wasn't a more committed player when on the field, than was Don Meredith. There was no player aurora when he taped up broken ribs and played for his team...Period.

I agree with you 100%. He was all business on the field but, he sure liked to enjoy himself off the field. I'm not at all sold on the idea
that Johnny Football can conduct his business on the field because of the effects of his off the field issues.

sbark

Reaction score
I'm not big on Goff or Lynch but it will take a horrible situation for Wentz not to pan out for some team.

His only flaw is the logo on his helmet.

Wentz is as physically talented as it gets.

the logo? I hope you mean the division they play in.